Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,415

3 members and 3,412 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

I think my BP has mites.

I just spotted a relatively small, circular bug crawling on my BP's face. I'm pretty sure it's a mite and saying I'm scared and anxious out of my mind would be an understatement. But it's 4 in the morning where I am so I can't do anything immediately.

I've read through several forums from people who had mite problems but I'm still sort of confused on what to do. Can someone who has been in this situation or knows exactly what to do, PLEASE give me a detailed suggestion of action?

I just watched a video from Snake Bites and the guy simply said to get PAM and spray the snake, the tank and replace the water and that's all. Is that all?

I also have read posts that say to take the snake out, bathe it in warm water, something about betadyne (is that dangerous?), then remove all substrate and bleach the enclosure, then spray it with PAM and bleach or bake all decorations and spray them?

Gah! Help!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: I think my BP has mites.

Hi,

What did it look like? Was it small and black?

Have you checked the waterbowl and in the heat pits and around the eyes for any more?

I will say Provent-a-Mite is the only thing I would recommend but you definately do not apply it to the snake directly.

There are some very detailed instructions on the tin and they need to be followed exactly.

The waterbowl and snake need to be removed before treatment and cannot be put back in until the residue has dried completely.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: I think my BP has mites.

Quote Originally Posted by antuonchris View Post

I just watched a video from Snake Bites and the guy simply said to get PAM and spray the snake, the tank and replace the water and that's all. Is that all?

Gah! Help!!
    Do not, I repeat, do not spray the snake. You will kill it.

- You remove the snake from the enclosure.

- Remove all decorations

- Vacuum out all of the current substrate

- Lightly spray the enclosure.

- Add new substrate.

- Lightly spray the new substrate

- Keep the enclsoure closed up for 30 minutes or so

- Open the enclosure up and let it air out until it is dry and the fumes have dissipated (several hours).

- Add your snake back in.

While your snake is waiting for his cage to dry, you can give him a bath in tepid water (78 to 82 degrees) with a few drops of dish soap in it.

While you are waiting for the cage to dry out, I'd run the water dish through the dishwasher. You can also sanitize the cage furniture either by baking it (if it's wood), running it through the dishwasher (if it's safe to do so) or if it's plastic - washing it and coating it with your mite spray.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 07-14-2011 at 07:49 AM.

Thanks
    make sure if you have other animals you quarantine him to another room asap. mites are no joke i had them on the burm i had when i first bought it. It was cover from head to tail, and i was able to get rid of them but you MUST be diligent in your efforts. Soak them in the warm bath water either once a day or once every other day, clean and spray the cage with mite treatment every time you soak him.

You should do this for AT LEAST 2-3 weeks. I had to do it for 2months to clean them off of my burm. there were other things i did as well but this should still take care of them.