Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,296

1 members and 3,295 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Question Feeding on Aspen

Has anyone had any problems with feeding in an encloser that has aspen bedding? I feed my new boy last night in a seperate tub then moved him back to his tank just becuase i didnt want to haev any problems with him eating the first time(I dont like the idea of moving him after he eats). Would you suggust to keep feeding him in a seperate tub (kind of a pain) or just feed him in the tank that has aspen. I dont want him to eat the aspen. Also I am concidering going to papertowl or newpaper as bedding but I dont want it to stress him out.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts
    I've tried aspen in the past but was always concerned about them eating it or getting an impaction...of course they somehow manage to survive in the wild eating in less than sterile conditions. Lots of big name breeders use natural bedding and seem to have no issues. It's up to you and what you're comfortable with.
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

Re: Feeding on Aspen

Quote Originally Posted by rgang View Post
    Has anyone had any problems with feeding in an encloser that has aspen bedding? I feed my new boy last night in a seperate tub then moved him back to his tank just becuase i didnt want to haev any problems with him eating the first time(I dont like the idea of moving him after he eats). Would you suggust to keep feeding him in a seperate tub (kind of a pain) or just feed him in the tank that has aspen. I dont want him to eat the aspen. Also I am concidering going to papertowl or newpaper as bedding but I dont want it to stress him out.
    I have all of my BPs on shredded aspen and they all feed inside their enclosures. I have not had any problems doing so and all of my snakes are doing very well. I'm sure you will get other opinions but I've not had one issue in three years of using aspen.
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PghBall For This Useful Post:

rgang (07-12-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    I also use aspen and haven't had any issues. IMO eating a little aspen can't hurt if they can digest bones and pretty much every part of a rat. Obviously a lot can probably cause impaction but the chances of that are so slim. I've had to pull a tiny piece out of my boys' mouth once because it got stuck, I left him alone for two days and it was still there. Nothing a pair of tweezers didn't fix
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    As LGray said a few small pieces of aspen stuck to the prey item that gets ingested won't hurt you BP. It's rare though that the aspen stuck to the prey makes it into their mouth, it's such a tight fit that most shavings fall off as your BP eats it.

If you do go ahead and start feeding on aspen I would recommend to of course supervise feedings to make sure no big chunks of substrate are stuck to the prey and to keep some kind of deification record to make sure you BP is going regularly and isn't impacted (how much they go depends on how much they eat and how old they are).
    Last edited by Adam Chandler; 07-12-2011 at 11:07 AM.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks

Re: Feeding on Aspen

When I still used aspen, i fed my bigger girl on it without any problems. my smaller girl is a little bit challenged though, so I had to be careful that she didn't ingest a ton of aspen because she would get the mouse all saliva-ed and then drop in the aspen and make aspen covered mouse. I typically tried to lead her with the food on her hide or in an area that only had newspaper.
    0.1 normal - Constantine, 0.1 Spider - Lilu
    3.0 doggies -Charlie (rottweiler), Luke (golden retriever), Dallas (german shepherd)
    1.0 Betta fish - Norris
    1.0 Rat - Forrest (R.I.P Mook and Milo)
    1.0 frenchman

Thanks
    They guys at BHB have been feeding thousands of snakes on Aspen and even Sani Chips with no problems at all.

I will dry the mice off when I feed, that's about it. I do try to guide the mice in my snakes' mouths instead of laying it in the aspen, as it tends to get coated in shavings.

Thanks
    My f/t food comes in bags so after I leave them out for a couple hours then heat them in water, they are dry when it is offered. You might get some aspen ingested if the prey was damp, but I haven't had that issue. I made the switch from separate enclosure and wish I'd made the switch sooner. So much easier on everyone and everything involved!
    0.0.1 Normal BP (Boomerang aka Boomer)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts
    This comes up every month or so - someone expressing a worry or concern about feeding on a wood substrate.

Here's the definitive answer:

It's nothing to worry about.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts
    As people have said there really isn't anything to worry about, but if you are concerned you could lay a paper towel down over the aspen when you feed.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)