Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,210

1 members and 3,209 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: 11 - 12 week old kitten...sick?

i think her funniest quirk is that when she meows no sound comes out of her mouth...she clearly opens up to say something but theres no sound. we've heard her meow before but now its like she doesnt feel the need to use her voice.

the neighborhood is not slow, per say but it's definitely not super busy & our house is not too close to the main road leading to the neighborhood.
    we dont really have a fence, yet.
    behind our house is a small shallow creek down in a ditch surrounded by briars and very tall trees, pine & some others.
    kitty ninja skills, lol.
    she may be learning something from being around our special needs son, bless his heart he only wants to give her "love" . he doesnt know his own strength but is learning to "touch nice" (be gentle).
    anyways, i'm fully aware that the kitty will need ALL of the shots necessary before she can safely be an outdoor cat. theres other cats out & about in the neighborhood so i'd like to not expose her to any of their potential germs until she's fully protected.
    now another question, with outdoor cats in the neighborhood, are their territories usually their homes & properties or do they have ranges like most of the wild critters? i always assumed it was the properties.

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    0.1 mojave ball python (Nyx)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Hemera)
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    3.4.? rats (? = litter coming any day now)
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"
    0.0.1 pied cockatiel 0.0.1 white bellied caique 0.0.2 guinea pigs

Thanks

kitty update:

she's doing much much better. back to eating the previous amt of food & is regaining her usual spunk.

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mommanessy247 View Post
    i think her funniest quirk is that when she meows no sound comes out of her mouth...she clearly opens up to say something but theres no sound. we've heard her meow before but now its like she doesnt feel the need to use her voice.
    Hahaha! My Ember does that, its like "Methhh" hoarse whisper. She's 3 now and I dont think she'll ever find her voice. She also LOVES to play fetch with paper balls- receipts are best LOL I swears she's part dog.

Quote Originally Posted by mommanessy247 View Post
    now another question, with outdoor cats in the neighborhood, are their territories usually their homes & properties or do they have ranges like most of the wild critters? i always assumed it was the properties.
    They have territories. Once she's fixed and big enough that shouldn't be a problem. If she pops over your fence any feral cat she meets will most likely scare her off. Its when two feral cats are going at it its a war and neither has "anything to lose", those are the fights you hear outside at night.

She'll stay close to home mostly if you have a good fence. That'll be her turf and she may wander a bit pass that.

You can train her to a bell actually, my neighbor did this. Her cats would be outside and she'd call them over for a treat and ring a small bell (they got use to the noise) so at night she'd ring the bell and call them and they'd be ready for dinner inside. Clickers would work too but I dont know how loud those can be.

Ember isn't allowed outside because she has NO FEAR. She has tried to go out the front door and actually started walking towards a leashed German Shepherd...I swear she would have gone to lick his nose if I hadn't scooped her up. One of our other cats still hates Ember and hisses at her regularly...Ember just gives me a "whats her problem" look. I don't want to see her try to "make friends" with a feral cat...it would be like unleashing a ditzy HS cheerleader onto Jurassic Park

She does get to go outside... but on a harness and lead... and when its not 108 degrees outside
    I'm in the 10% of the female population that your mothers warned you about.

Thanks

LOVES to play fetch with paper balls
    little josie too! what the heck is up with that? we buy toys and yeah they play with them but man little josie just has to unleash all her fury on them paper balls.
    i'd hate to be the unfortunate critter on the receiving end of that kind of treatment. :

it would be like unleashing a ditzy HS cheerleader onto Jurassic Park
    OMG i almost died doing this!---->
    i read that right in the middle of a sip of hot coffee & almost shot it out my nose!
    i get images in my mind when i read stuff so that makes things all the more hilarious.

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"

Thanks

oh man just watching my daughter play with joise this morning...
    my daughter crawls on her belly towards josie & i guess it looks like stalking so josie runs at her sideways, with her ears flat on her head, back arched & fur fluffed up & starts "slapping" my daughter in the face.
    kittens are such little riots im telling ya.

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"

Thanks

Re: 11 - 12 week old kitten...sick? UPDATE...

came down to a flea problem that we were just unable to manage & it resulted in all but 1 of us getting numerous bites with our son being the worst & is covered in 'em. childrens services got called to his school & then they came here saying there would no longer be any allowed direct contact with the cat until the flea problem was taken care of. we'd already had to move her into our garage so really? what kind of quality of life is a young kitty gonna get with that?
    being unspayed with no shots, turning her loose as an outdoor cat was out of the question.
    so our only last option was to relinquish little josie to the local animal shelter, knowing that they'll get rid of her fleas, spay her & put her up for adoption & we hope someone picks her up & then she'll get the love & attention she needs.
    we're still left with the fleas & we have some bug bombs for the home but theres a process to it, things that have to be done before we can set those off.

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123