Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,410

3 members and 3,407 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Re: what size tank can i keep a savahna monitor

Quote Originally Posted by ball python 22 View Post
    ok so i made a typo i would much rather get info off a forum (i prefer forums) and how would i get experience if i never own one
    You don't "own monitors to get experience". You own monitors because you have a passion and a respect for them. Monitors are a completely different class of reptile, with completely different care needs than any other reptile money can by.

I apologize for coming off harsh, I'm mildly fed up with people owning monitors for the wrong reasons and seeing so many dead/in crap shape because of poor husbandry. If you actually have a passion/interest in monitors. You may way to stay away from savannah monitors. They need lots of room in a custom built enclosure, high temps and humidity, and a strict insect diet. All the videos of them in any sort of an aquarium are wrong. All the videos of feeding mice, are wrong. A sav kept properly should be near adult size at 1 year of age.

If you are serious into keeping monitors, try to look at something like an ackie. They are much more forgiving and are a much better starter monitor due to size/temperament/husbandry requirements etc.

You need to do a lot of reading, researching, and studying of monitors and reading from proper monitor keepers before you get ready to get into this realm. No amount of ball python, boa, and bearded dragon keeping can prepare you for a varanid.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MMReptiles For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (07-09-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MMReptiles View Post
    You don't "own monitors to get experience". You own monitors because you have a passion and a respect for them. Monitors are a completely different class of reptile, with completely different care needs than any other reptile money can by.

I apologize for coming off harsh, I'm mildly fed up with people owning monitors for the wrong reasons and seeing so many dead/in crap shape because of poor husbandry. If you actually have a passion/interest in monitors. You may way to stay away from savannah monitors. They need lots of room in a custom built enclosure, high temps and humidity, and a strict insect diet. All the videos of them in any sort of an aquarium are wrong. All the videos of feeding mice, are wrong. A sav kept properly should be near adult size at 1 year of age.

If you are serious into keeping monitors, try to look at something like an ackie. They are much more forgiving and are a much better starter monitor due to size/temperament/husbandry requirements etc.

You need to do a lot of reading, researching, and studying of monitors and reading from proper monitor keepers before you get ready to get into this realm. No amount of ball python, boa, and bearded dragon keeping can prepare you for a varanid.

Thanks for being civil and actually offering some good advice to the OP.

On the topic of ackies: I've actually considered getting one before. What size enclosure would you recommend for an ackie? Are they also strictly insect eaters like savs?
    1.1 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Corn snakes, 0.0.1 Garter snake, 1.1.2 Crested geckos, 0.2 Mourning Geckos, 0.2 Leopard geckos, 0.1 Indonesian blue tongue skink

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptile65 View Post
    Thanks for being civil and actually offering some good advice to the OP.

On the topic of ackies: I've actually considered getting one before. What size enclosure would you recommend for an ackie? Are they also strictly insect eaters like savs?
    A lot of people go for things like 4x2x2 etc, I myself always say offer as much as you feel comfortable. Ackies will use their cage space, and are very active and fun to watch. I'd go with a 6x4x4 myself for a breeding pair. Monitors in small cages = no fun to watch, that is for sure.

Diets are a mixed back for almost all monitors. Diet diversity is one of the most neglected things in monitor care. I offer everything from crickers, mealworms, superworms, horn worms, roaches, pinkie mice, ground turkey, and egg to all of my hatchling/small monitors. This is the diet I would use for my ackies, with the bulk of the diet being insects. Naturally in the wild the most common and easy to find prey item for them would be insects- probably small locust and the like.

Thanks

Here are a few links to some basic care
    http://www.varanus.net/faq/

http://www.kingsnake.com/monitor/index.html

AFTER you read them over if you have any questions feel free to ask. If you dont want to post it here, and I could understand why. Just look at this thread.
    Shoot me a PM or an email and I will gladly help you.

Anthony
    agoldreptiles@yahoo.com
    Selective Buying + Selective Breeding = Select Results!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AGoldReptiles For This Useful Post:

CatandDiallo (07-10-2011),mark and marley (07-19-2011)

Thanks

The only truly stupid questions are the ones not asked....just my 2 cents

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Plissken For This Useful Post:

mark and marley (07-19-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGoldReptiles View Post
    Here are a few links to some basic care
    http://www.varanus.net/faq/

http://www.kingsnake.com/monitor/index.html

AFTER you read them over if you have any questions feel free to ask. If you dont want to post it here, and I could understand why. Just look at this thread.
    Shoot me a PM or an email and I will gladly help you.

Anthony
    agoldreptiles@yahoo.com
    I just clicked on the kingsnake link you provided, and the "Husbandry and Care" page could not be found...

With the exception of varanus.nl and savannahmonitor.org, I am yet to find a care sheet that makes any sense at all for varanids... I've seen one recommending newspaper for substrate! And varanus.nl doesn't have caresheets, but if you use the search engine, you'll find the most comprehensive and extensive useful advice any varanophile could want.

Sorry I haven't replied to this thread sooner, I've been busy building a couple new enclosures for my varanids, lol. The Varathane diamond finish is curing now so I thought I'd have a surf session.

Yes, MMReptiles was a little harsh. I am too sometimes (apparently, lol). I can understand his apprehension at wasting his time offering advice that will, more often than not, be ignored. I've written many useful guidelines on many aspects of varanid care to get replies like "Well the guy at the pet store says different so I'll listen to him - he is a pro after all".

As for the original post some 4 pages back, I'll agree with everyone (even though I don't work with exanthematicus) and stress the importance of a large, home made enclosure. My passion for reptiles has made me learn all sorts of other things; carpentry skills, electrical skills, photography skills etc.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    You spelled "uneducated" wrong.

Children, the word for today is "irony".
    lmao haha to funny/true.

Thanks
    I keep my savanna monitor in a 125 gallon aquarium. She's just under 3 feet long from nose to tail tip, and fits in there perfectly.

She has a hide and a very large water dish. The dishes are the second hardest thing about savannas, they will poop in their water dishes every time. And it has to be large enough that they can lay their entire body in it, so it's irritating to change, but it's for the animal, and it's happiness.

The hardest part is the humidity. Just can't seem to keep that right here, I think I need to get a more solid top for the cage, and not the mesh one I have on it now.

Thanks
    Also keep in mind that a large savanna can take off your finger if you are not familiar with reptile handling. My girl frankly DOES NOT bite, but absolutely CAN.

I got grazed with a tooth ONCE while feeding cockroaches to her by hand, and that was bad enough. A guy at a pet store near by, worked there in the reptile section forever, and had a nasty savanna come in and nearly lost his thumb. The animal was only a foot long, and the guy's thumb was broken, and needed stitches.

I would not suggest a savanna as a first reptile, frankly.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    I keep my savanna monitor in a 125 gallon aquarium. She's just under 3 feet long from nose to tail tip, and fits in there perfectly.
    A 4x2x2 cage for a bosc monitor at almost adult age is NOT a perfect fit. The cage is too small, and aquariums are garbage for monitors.

She has a hide and a very large water dish. The dishes are the second hardest thing about savannas, they will poop in their water dishes every time. And it has to be large enough that they can lay their entire body in it, so it's irritating to change, but it's for the animal, and it's happiness.
    If your bosc is spending that much time- it's probably dehydrated because of the fact its in an aquarium without the right substrate. You also don't need a "hide" when providing dirt substrate, she will construct her own hides.

The hardest part is the humidity. Just can't seem to keep that right here, I think I need to get a more solid top for the cage, and not the mesh one I have on it now.
    Lol. Everything you just posted proves your care of your monitor is 100% wrong and inadequate. Please don't give advice to others until you can do things right yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    Also keep in mind that a large savanna can take off your finger if you are not familiar with reptile handling. My girl frankly DOES NOT bite, but absolutely CAN.
    Lol, he can't take off your finger unless you're like, 10 with some sort of bone deficiency.

I got grazed with a tooth ONCE while feeding cockroaches to her by hand, and that was bad enough. A guy at a pet store near by, worked there in the reptile section forever, and had a nasty savanna come in and nearly lost his thumb. The animal was only a foot long, and the guy's thumb was broken, and needed stitches.

I would not suggest a savanna as a first reptile, frankly.
    Lol, he had other problems, a foot long savannah will not break a grown mans thumb or need stitches. He's making up part of the story or he's a wimp.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast