Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,391

3 members and 3,388 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Re: what size tank can i keep a savahna monitor

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNBecky View Post
    I wasn't going to comment, but the more I read the worse it gets. So if I may say so myself..... That was an $@!?,)$ thing to say to a person. If that's how you are going to treat people on this board, then you'll have to deal with the $:/":":& comments made about you. I agree with some of what was said. Yes sometimes you have to be a little rude or stern to get a point across. However to judge a person because or race or origin is just wrong. So when you decide to grow up and stop being a narrow mined twit, then you wont have people ripping your £\^.
    Again, someone who took what I said wrong. Frankly I could care less if you like me. I'm not here for YOU or your approval. I'm here for educating on proper varanid care. Rip at me all you want, I won't lose an ounce of sleep.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Yes, but you AREN'T educating on varanid care. You're driving a poster to just go grab the petco caresheet that's got horrible advice.

Just because the first question was about a tank doesn't mean he couldn't have gone on to get much more advice. If you just want to stand around self-importantly saying "I'd rather the animal die" then don't bother acting as if you want to post advice on care.

You CAN turn someone into a responsible keeper. You can't help anyone if they don't ask questions because they got called uneducated and foreign because they didn't spell everything right. Guiding a new person into keeping animals that are more to their level or giving advice on how to keep a higher-end animal properly is better than shoving them away and letting the animal die.

This forum has always been about education, education, education. How are YOU helping educate keepers? I'd rather "waste my time" for a week giving out the most common detail than read another thread of "Gee my lizard died, wonder why?" I want educated keepers. If it means telling fifty people the same common information over and over, then I'll do so. When it gets too frustrating for me to post information then I can step back and some of MANY people on here do so without me around until I am less frustrated and ready to help.

It might be the four hundredth time YOU heard the question. It's almost certainly the FIRST time the OP has asked it.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Big Dave (07-10-2011),dr del (07-10-2011),Sama (07-09-2011),Simple Man (07-09-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman13 View Post
    The point I am trying very hard, as nicely as possible to get across is,
    if they are to lazy or not informed enough to do a basic search for the needed information, then how the hell are they going to go to the lenghs to provide for the animal.
    To lazy to search, bad situation for the animal.
    Most don't. While we give out information, more often than not, the person has already made up their mind that they are going to get the animal and keep it anyway they darn please.

They do it with snakes and the do it with lizards and they do it with varanids.

However, as long we keep in mind that even though we will often not dissuade them from doing the wrong thing for the wrong reasons - that at least we made an effort to try to steer them to do right by the animal.

Again there's a big difference between being brutally direct and saying insulting and abusive things. While I understand the frustration with answering the same questions over and over again, and I understand how difficult it is to see people jump headlong into these things without doing their due diligence, why would a person bother posting at all if all they are going to do is insult and degrade?

For a long time my standard response has been to forcefully direct them to a proper care sheet and have done with it.

Mumps and Slayer patiently answer a good portion of these varanid inquiries. While they can be direct and hard-hitting, they at least point the OP in a place that they can go if they choose to do the right thing.

But attacking some kid, and doing so in an insulting and abusive manner, offers him no option but to go elsewhere with his question and risk getting bad advice or have him do his own research.

Yep - one of the worst things you can do is to blindly tell someone just getting into varanids to go look up husbandry information on the net. Most of the care sheets are utter crap and a lot of the advice concerning diet, substrate, ambient and basking temps is laughable at best, downright dangerous at worst - especially when in comes to exanthematicus.

Heck, I just did a google search and with the exception of one or two sites, most of the care sheets I just opened up were full of utter crap.

So again, while I understand the frustration, I don't understand the point of being nasty just to be nasty.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Maixx (07-09-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MMReptiles View Post
    Could care less if you are impressed. I'm here for the monitors sake, not the OP nor yours.
    Again, I could care less if you feel I'm discriminating against him. His feelings don't mean squat to me; however, keeping another sav out of a terrible environment does.
    Again, someone who took what I said wrong. Frankly I could care less if you like me. I'm not here for YOU or your approval. I'm here for educating on proper varanid care. Rip at me all you want, I won't lose an ounce of sleep.
    I get that you could care less - you've repeated it ample times......

Although between you and I, I have found that people who repeatedly try to convince people that they don't care what other people think of them usually do, and are mainly trying to convince themselves of that fact.

I'm in agreement with you on one thing - people who don't do the research shouldn't own a varanid. Still doesn't change the fact that thousands do. So when one wander through here, how about trying to stem the tide a bit and point them in the right place?

You say you are here for the sake of all monitor-hood, so how about doling out advice in such a way that some animal may actually benefit from it?
    Last edited by Skiploder; 07-09-2011 at 08:07 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

BallsUnlimited (07-16-2011),mark and marley (07-19-2011)

Thanks
    The other problem with treating people like crap is that others seeing this might hesitate to ask questions themselves. Your not just talking to the Op.
    -Karl

0.1 Wild type Bp (Eve)
    1.0 Pastel Bp (Aeries)
    0.1 Russian Ratsnake (Vasilisa)
    0.0.1 Bairds Ratsnake (Romeo)

http://www.iherp.com/maixx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Maixx For This Useful Post:

apple2 (07-17-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    I get that you could care less - you've repeated it ample times......

Although between you and I, I have found that people who repeatedly try to convince people that they don't care what other people think of them usually do, and are mainly trying to convince themselves of that fact.

I'm in agreement with you on one thing - people who don't do the research shouldn't own a varanid. Still doesn't change the fact that thousands do. So when one wander through here, how about trying to stem the tide a bit and point them in the right place?

You say you are here for the sake of all monitor-hood, so how about doling out advice in such a way that some animal may actually benefit from it?
    I couldn't agree more.

"MMReptiles": you have an attitude problem and think it's okay to be a complete jerk to someone you know absolutely nothing about. Next time maybe you should try providing the person with a proper care sheet, rather than saying they shouldn't even own the animal because they're too stupid. I firmly believe that you should treat others as you want to be treated, and I'm sure you would be put off if someone treated you that way.
    1.1 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Corn snakes, 0.0.1 Garter snake, 1.1.2 Crested geckos, 0.2 Mourning Geckos, 0.2 Leopard geckos, 0.1 Indonesian blue tongue skink

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptile65 View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

"MMReptiles": you have an attitude problem and think it's okay to be a complete jerk to someone you know absolutely nothing about. Next time maybe you should try providing the person with a proper care sheet, rather than saying they shouldn't even own the animal because they're too stupid. I firmly believe that you should treat others as you want to be treated, and I'm sure you would be put off if someone treated you that way.
    YES. Thank you! I am a pretty kind person (that sounds weird to say about myself), and I found his attitude completely repulsive. I hope that he isn't like that in actual real life conversation, or he might not have that many friends.

Everyone deserves to be treated with respect, even the OP who you (MMReptiles) think doesn't deserve to have a monitor. At least they are coming here and asking for advice about owning a monitor. Maybe if you approached them in a respectable way, they would have opened up with more posts about if they have done previous research and have owned other animals like this.

This could have turned into a conversation, and then if you provided them with the correct information, they could have used helpful advice to decide that they weren't ready for a reptile of this sort yet.

Reach for the stars, and if you don't grab them at least you'll fall on top of the world.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CatandDiallo For This Useful Post:

apple2 (07-17-2011)

Thanks

ok so i made a typo i would much rather get info off a forum (i prefer forums) and how would i get experience if i never own one

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    And after all that... The poor OP still has not gotten much worthwhile advice. With the exception of a couple initial answers about needing a custom wooden enclosure. Yet, I have a feeling this person hasn't the first clue on how to care for a sav. Not just the enclosure, but everything

So where are those 2 varanid experts that always post the link to that excellent site with the only worthwhile care sheet on the web for these guys?? The one with detailed photos of enclosures?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

apple2 (07-17-2011)

Thanks

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slayer For This Useful Post:

apple2 (07-17-2011),mark and marley (07-19-2011),Michelle.C (07-17-2011),mumps (07-12-2011)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast