Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,381

2 members and 3,379 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gold217 View Post
    (...) a vet is definitley NOT and option. (...)
    As others have pointed out, there were some issues with your setup, but this is the part that got to me. I'm not trying to be offensive or anything, things don't come across the same through text so please don't take it that way, but if you were so intent on getting a ball python before, then why is it that now that you finally have one you aren't willing to take it to a vet? What if one day it develops a problem, would you be as unwilling to take it to the vet then? Vet visits are something you need to factor in whenever you get any kind of pet, including ball pythons.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexandra V For This Useful Post:

Maixx (07-22-2011),mark and marley (07-10-2011)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra V View Post
    As others have pointed out, there were some issues with your setup, but this is the part that got to me. I'm not trying to be offensive or anything, things don't come across the same through text so please don't take it that way, but if you were so intent on getting a ball python before, then why is it that now that you finally have one you aren't willing to take it to a vet? What if one day it develops a problem, would you be as unwilling to take it to the vet then? Vet visits are something you need to factor in whenever you get any kind of pet, including ball pythons.
    I agree 100%
    Currently have
    2.3 pastel's
    0.1 spider
    0.1 normal
    1.1 100% het albino's
    1.0 Albino ( he will live at work but i get to take care of him)
    1.0 Cinnamon
    1.0 Fire

Registered User mark and marley's Avatar
    Thanks
    as others have mentioned your doing alot of things wrong and its not the bps fault.get your husbandry down.i believe everything has been mentioned.get the right temps,smaller hides,ditch the heat lamp for a uth and thermostat,get digi therms,leave your bp alone except for maintenance,feed appropriately sized prey,block out the back and sides,dont hover over the bp when you try feeding.once you get everything down and stable your bp will grow,thrive,youll be able to handle it,gain trust within eachother and have a long term companion.they can live a loong time and i hope you know that and know with every pet you get vet visits are inevitable.i dont understand what you mean by a vet visit isnt an option.
    if you cant commit take it back and get yourself a chihuahua.

Registered User mark and marley's Avatar
    Thanks
    wait chihuahuas need vets too.!
    inverts dont need vets if you just dont like dealing with em or spending the money.
    wait,is there invert vets?!

Thanks

Re: !!!Need help and advice!!!

Last month, I got a ball python after days of trying to convince my parents. It's been about 3 and a half weeks since I got it (it's just a baby) and the thing is one of the worse pets I've ever had. Ever. I just will not eat! I've literally tried everything possible, and it won't eat. Today I'm going to the petstore to to either get an in-store credit or exchange the thing. But now, I'm totally turned off from any ball pythons, I'm so frusturated and I invested a lot of time and money in this snake and I even had plans for breeding them but now I don't even want to look at one. There's finicky eaters, there's really picky eaters. This one happens to be retarded. The pet store owner claims all of them ate, but that just sounds like total crap to me (the thing hasn't even took a crap!) and I can see it getting skinnier and skinnier. I'm really stressed out and don't no what to do, I mean sickness is the only option left, and a vet is definitley NOT and option. Please help I really don't know what to do!

" I invested a lot of time and money in this snake and I even had plans for breeding them but now I don't even want to look at one"

If you think that one BP is alot off time and money, maby your not ready for one right now

I dont know about everybody else, but you sound a little Immature for A BP right now, mabey choose something with less requirments.
    bumblebee
    Pastel

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PythonOutlaw For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (07-10-2011),mark and marley (07-10-2011),Mft62485 (07-21-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts

Temp on hot side: 87 (digital them.)
    Cool side: 80 (analog reads 90 but you subtract 10 degrees)
    have you adjusted the cool side back down? Or is it still at 90ºF.

analogue thermometers can be as accurate as digital one or read high or low. Assume it is correct until proven otherwise.

Also if it is a stick on dial type up the sides it will be significally HOTTER on the floor of the enclosure!

Over heated snakes will not be able to digest food and simply will not eat or be able to digest anything they have. 87/90 is not a thermal gradient! Adjust your temps !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra V View Post
    I don't see the point in taking it to a vet when the whole visit will cost a LOT more than the snake! If this was an expensive snake (piebald, expensive morph, proven breeder, ***over a month old***, etc..) than I would have no problem taking it to the vet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mark and marley View Post
    as others have mentioned your doing alot of things wrong and its not the bps fault.get your husbandry down.i believe everything has been mentioned.get the right temps,smaller hides,ditch the heat lamp for a uth and thermostat,get digi therms,leave your bp alone except for maintenance,feed appropriately sized prey,block out the back and sides,dont hover over the bp when you try feeding.once you get everything down and stable your bp will grow,thrive,youll be able to handle it,gain trust within eachother and have a long term companion.they can live a loong time and i hope you know that and know with every pet you get vet visits are inevitable.i dont understand what you mean by a vet visit isnt an option.
    if you cant commit take it back and get yourself a chihuahua.
    The husbandry is perfect and I haven't touched it -_- A vet visit isn't an option, it's just too expensive! The checkup will be more than the snake, and who knows how much the treatment will cost if there is something wrong with it. If this was an expensive morph, over 1 month old, or a proven breeder, then it would be at the vet faster than you could say vet!
    And just for the record, I HATE chihuahuas!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PythonOutlaw View Post
    " I invested a lot of time and money in this snake and I even had plans for breeding them but now I don't even want to look at one"

If you think that one BP is alot off time and money, maby your not ready for one right now

I dont know about everybody else, but you sound a little Immature for A BP right now, mabey choose something with less requirments.
    You know what?? This snake was not cheap. I don't care what breed it is or what you say. And thanks for your concern but I've done extensive research and I'm pretty sure I'm PLENTY mature enough for a bp! And plus, I had to make the hour round trip to the petstore for live mice every week ($1.59) and about $13 dollars in gas! So this snake DID take up time and effort. And money. You know NOTHING about my situation beyond this thread, so quit making false assumptions!
    Last edited by gold217; 07-21-2011 at 10:43 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    have you adjusted the cool side back down? Or is it still at 90ºF.

analogue thermometers can be as accurate as digital one or read high or low. Assume it is correct until proven otherwise.

Also if it is a stick on dial type up the sides it will be significally HOTTER on the floor of the enclosure!

Over heated snakes will not be able to digest food and simply will not eat or be able to digest anything they have. 87/90 is not a thermal gradient! Adjust your temps !!!
    The temps are fine!!!!!!!! Analogues are not as accurate as you think! I tested with a digital and an analogue. I fixed all the husbandry mistakes (not that there were many) so that wasn't the problem!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast