Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,266

0 members and 3,266 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball Python refuses to eat.... What Now!?!?!?!?!?!

It has been over two months since my BP has ate. The husbandry is fine. She just won't eat for some reason and it's driving me crazy. She has not lost any weight or anything however I want her to eat!!!! I have tried many different techniques to get her to eat and she just won't.

When I first got her about a year ago she was a true killer. She ate all the time and was extremely aggressive. She has now turned extremely placid and tame, which of course I love - however, she's a wimp when it comes to eating.

How can I get her to feed? What should I do?

Thanks
    Can you go into detail about your husbandry? We just want to be sure that it isn't related to husbandry.
    Temps? Humidity? Is your heating pad being monitored by a probe and regulated?
    Hides?

Also if everything is up to par husbandry wise then I wouldn't worry about it. I know it is frustrating but is has only been two months. And as long as you offer your bp food regularly then she will eventually eat. Also like you said she isn't losing weight which is really good.

My bp went off feed for about 4 months. And maintained his weight and finally ate. AND he grew 12 inches being off feed. Which I thought was incredible.

Make sure it is for sure not your husbandry. Then all you can do is be patient and keep offering food. You will be okay :]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    How old is she? weight?
    One thing you will learn from keeping ball is "patience" , If she is not loosing weight don't worry, she'll start again.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Re: Ball Python refuses to eat.... What Now!?!?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Generationshell View Post
    AND he grew 12 inches being off feed. Which I thought was incredible.
    , what are you putting in the water
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

i know exactly how you feel back when i had a ball python he never ate i got him as a baby an i had him for about 3 months he never ate once an i stressed out bad although i found out that he was sick an that was the reason he didn't eat it was very stressful. in your case your snake has ate before so hes fine but have there been any recent changes in the cage? have u tried f/t an live mice?

u said husbandry was right so he'll come around sooner or later
    SOME HUMANS CAN'T BE TRUSTED. thats why animals or mens best friend.

Thanks

Talking

Maybe she just horny?need companion?same Thing happened on my bp too...

Thanks

Depending on the time of day the cool side ambient temp is around 80=85, and the hot side is 90-95. I have a heat lamp on the hot side and an UTH, as well as a smaller heat lamp on the cool side to keep the temp from dropping too low.

Humidity is at 50-60%.

I have a rock hide on the cool side as well as a piece of driftwood and hide on the hot side.

And to the poster who goes by the name "Freaky," your answer was highly inappropriate, and mostly it was just stupid.

Kingsland Ga 30 miles from Jacksonville Fl
    Thanks
    My female ate three hoppers and then did not eat for a month and a half. She snatched up one today and is looking for more. Just a matter of time till they eat again. I just figured she was not hungry. She hit the mouse within seconds of it being put in her feeding cage. Try feeding in a different location. Take it to the bathtub and feed her in there. Maybe a change will help.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by EvesFriend View Post
    Depending on the time of day the cool side ambient temp is around 80=85, and the hot side is 90-95. I have a heat lamp on the hot side and an UTH, as well as a smaller heat lamp on the cool side to keep the temp from dropping too low.

Humidity is at 50-60%.

I have a rock hide on the cool side as well as a piece of driftwood and hide on the hot side.

And to the poster who goes by the name "Freaky," your answer was highly inappropriate, and mostly it was just stupid.
    Actually until you tell us the size of the female he may very well stand a chance of being right. I have a female here who has just stopped eating as part of the breeding cycle.

How are you controling those temps as that is more of a swing than I would be comfortable with?

dr del
    Last edited by dr del; 07-08-2011 at 08:21 PM.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

Actually until you tell us the size of the female he may very well stand a chance of being right. I have a female here who has just stopped eating as part of the breeding cycle.

How are you controling those temps as that is more of a swing than I would be comfortable with?

dr del

What do you mean it's more of a "swing" than you are comfortable with? If you mean a swing in temps, on average, the ambient temp is about 85 and the hot side is 90. Of course it fluctuates by a degree or two at nighttime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast