Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,214

1 members and 3,213 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User PeachyFreakinKeen's Avatar
    Thanks

Unhappy My Ball Python Died

I decided to venture into the snake world a few months ago. I found a beautiful male ball python, and my daughter and I fell in love with him. He was sweet, and ate very well at his first feeding. He was fairly active and seemed to be a pretty happy guy. A few weeks ago we moved in with my boyfriend and his sons. I should mention I did not have central air in my apartment so he was kept in the living room...toasty and humid, I had to use the heat lamp minimally once the weather warmed up. Well with the air conditioning I was keeping his heat lamp on and knew I needed to get an under the tank heater, but thought the lamp was sufficient temporarily as I was planning to get him a larger enclosure. Over the weekend he seemed abnormally aggravated (hissing and snappy), and was "sunning" his neck in front of the heat lamp quite a bit. He was really active, but refused to eat. We woke up Saturday morning to a dead snake. I have no idea what happened. Could it have been the cooler temps? Am I complete idiot and missed something?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 993 Posts
    Sorry for your loss.. Sounds like he was a little stressed whatever it was. Was the heat lamp to close to him? I'm just asking because you said he was sunning in front of it.
    1.0 Normal (Rocko)
    1.0 Mojave (Mac)
    1.0 Pastel Ghost (Zeus)
    0.1 Spider (Zarah)
    1.0 Butter (Jagger)
    0.1 Coral Albino Boa (Josslynn)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Cee Lo)
    Black Cat Nivea)
    Dachshund (Isabella) (Murphy) (Lilli)
    Mixed Breed (Heidi)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    I'm sorry for your loss. It could have been multiple things that caused it. If you decide to get another I suggest doing some more homework and reading over out caresheet.
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ius)-Caresheet

Again, I'm sorry for your loss, it's always hard to lose a pet
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

PeachyFreakinKeen (07-06-2011)

Thanks

Re: My Ball Python Died

Quote Originally Posted by DellaF View Post
    Sorry for your loss.. Sounds like he was a little stressed whatever it was. Was the heat lamp to close to him? I'm just asking because you said he was sunning in front of it.
    He had his hide to go into which stayed warm also. When I say sunning...it was strange. He would put himself in a verticle position with his neck in front of the lamp, and his head upside down so the underside was pressed to the top of the cage. He would test sometimes to see if he could get out, but it was secure. The lamp was far enough from the cage and positioned to one side...not the top, and I monitored the humidity and temp to make sure it wasn't to hot. That and I was concerned about the rock water dish getting hot and burning him...so I checked that regularly also. It took some toying with the distance to get the lamp the right distance to give a good temp in the enclosure.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    What were the temps, you never mention exact temps in the enclosure.
    With what are you reading your temperatures with?

Sorry for your loss.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks
    Sorry to hear for your loss. If you get another one do some homework and get everything set-up before you get a new one.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ius)-Caresheet

-Chris

1.0.0 Albino Red Blood Python (Maximus)
    1.1.5 Crested Gecko
    1.1.0 G pulchripes
    0.0.1 A geniculata
    0.0.1 A versicolor
    0.1.0 G rosea
    1.0 90% Black Lab/ 10% Pitbull (Ryder)
    1.0 Cocker Spaniel (Rocky)

Thanks
    Sorry for your loss...

The "sunning his neck" behavior you are describing sounds to me more like stargazing. That could be signs of respiratory infection or possibly IBD. Did you notice any wheezing, clicking or popping sounds when he would breathe? Did you notice any bubbles or mucous coming from the mouth in the days before he died?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    What were the temps, you never mention exact temps in the enclosure.
    With what are you reading your temperatures with?

Sorry for your loss.
    90 in the warm area and 80 in the cooler once the weather warmed up that fluctuated with the temp of the room but never below 80, and like I said it took some toying once we got in the air conditioning, there were a couple of drops below to closer to 75 when we first moved, but I got that under control pretty quickly. I also now realize that the dial readers are not really all that accurate...so I will be getting a digital. He initially would spend most of his time in the hide where the cooler temp was, but then started spending more time for the passed couple of weeks in the warmer area, and way more active than usual.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inknsteel View Post
    Sorry for your loss...

The "sunning his neck" behavior you are describing sounds to me more like stargazing. That could be signs of respiratory infection or possibly IBD. Did you notice any wheezing, clicking or popping sounds when he would breathe? Did you notice any bubbles or mucous coming from the mouth in the days before he died?
    He did make some strange click noise...not often, but one time it was REALLY REALLY loud...I heard it from another room and went to see what was going on. I was long and drawn out. I thought it was just some noise he was making at the cat because he was irritated, scared...or thought it looked tasty.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inknsteel View Post
    Sorry for your loss...

I just looked up IBD...that could be what it was. He had a bout with a small rat that he started to eat...got it about half way down and spit it out. Again...I guess my inexperience came into play, because I thought he wasn't hungry or was having difficulty getting it down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast