Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,070

1 members and 3,069 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

question about belly heat

This is my first ball python, the place i bought her from said nothing about a UTH or anything really, other than needing a heat lamp to keep temps adjusted.

Is belly heat really needed? If so, what is the best way to go, as well as what is the cheapest, safe route i can take??

Im fairly low on funds at the moment, but if i have to i can dip into savings to make sure she is safe and comfortable.

Thanks in advance

Shawn

Thanks
    Belly heat is strongly recommended since it helps aid in digestion and provides a better heat source than a lamp. Generally with lamps, people also have issues maintaining humidity in the enclosure.

Most replies that you will receive will agree. As far as cost, it will vary depending on the type of heat you buy. You can use flex watt, ultratherm, also there are others that you can buy at your local pet shop like zoomed. The price depends on the size or amount that you buy. Depends on the size of the tub and the bp.

I'd send you link to caresheet but I'm on my phone.
    0.1 Normal - Suni
    1.0 Spider - Crank
    0.1 Pinstripe - Tielle
    0.0.3 Normal - Meatball, Larry & Nautis

Thanks
    Oh yes, in addition, if you get an under tank heater you also need a thermostat to control the heat output. You can get one on amazon for ad little as 25 dollars.
    0.1 Normal - Suni
    1.0 Spider - Crank
    0.1 Pinstripe - Tielle
    0.0.3 Normal - Meatball, Larry & Nautis

Thanks
    I was just reading another thread, 'Humidity problems', and in there kitedemon has pointed out the myth about belly heat aiding in digestion. It is about core temperature, be it from the air or from the floor. Belly heat is transferred more efficiently, but it does not aid digestion more than heating from any other source if temperatures are the same. It also can get into the hides where ball pythons would be while digesting compared to lamps which can't reach inside. It would be heated from the outside in. The main issue with the lamps would be its inefficiency and inability for the heat to radiate a considerable distance (and in the hides, like mentioned), not to mention the humidity problems that this would result in.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ogdentrece For This Useful Post:

lasweetswan (07-06-2011)