Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,286

0 members and 3,286 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Snake has some discoloration on underside, possible burn or scale rot? Help!

I transferred my BP to a new cage today and I noticed some worrying discoloration on its underside. Here are a few pics:

http://i.imgur.com/2DuNO.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/GsTIA.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/lMB7f.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/KGyVO.jpg

I switched her to coconut fiber from some recycled paper mulch or something which was approved by a pretty knowledgeable local herp store owner, and I think that it may be wedged in between the scales and causing the dark marks.

So, what makes me think it might be a burn is that when I lifted up her hide on the side of her tank which has a UTH she had moved away most of the coconut fiber, so she was just laying on top of glass on top of UTH. It's a Zoo-Med 10 gallon UTH w/o a thermostat. Now I have her on a thicker layer of substrate in her new tank, and I'm working with a thermostat to decrease the temperature of the UTH.

So, what is it? How can I help her?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Snake has some discoloration on underside, possible burn or scale rot? Help!

Judging by the blisters, I'd say it's a thermal burn from laying on the unregulated UTH pad. At this point, You should use clean paper towel as substrate. You will need to get your snake to a vet as soon as possible for treatment to prevent infection. The best thing that you can do for now is to get to a pharmacy and get some Betadine solution and Neosporin (without painkiller). Dilute the Betadine in a tub of water and let the snake soak for a few minutes. Lightly dry off and apply the Neopsporin. There is also a burn cream that will help called Silver Sulfadiazine, but I don't know if it can be obtained over the counter, or if it must be prescribed by a vet.
    And make sure you get the temps under control with a thermostat and a reliable thermometer to monitor the temps with. If you need suggestions for websites to get thermostats from, just ask and we can provide links for you.
    Good luck to you and your snake for a speedy recovery.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Snake has some discoloration on underside, possible burn or scale rot? Help!

Hi,

Yep it looks like a burn to me too.

First thing to do it get her onto a substrate like paper towel or newspaper to stop anything getting stuck in the wound as much as possible.

I would then put on a vet apointment - there is a cream they can give for burns that is better than anything over the counter if I am remembering right. I can never remember the name of it however.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    It really looks like a burn. You say you have a T-stat? did you have the probe on the glass between the uth and tank? I guess I am questioning because a vet trip is now in order but assuming it is a burn you need to get the heat under control before anything else clean and dust free is very important but making sure your snake cannot still become burned (if the guesses are correct) further is also super important!

Do you know what the ambient air temp was when the burn happened?