Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,341

3 members and 3,338 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: New BP owner and future potential breeder :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Loesch View Post
    Thanks for the awesome info! I just read the part about one snake per tub, lots of research left to do

And for the suggestion on rats - great! I can do that. Mine is on F/T right now, mice. Do you think she will take F/T rat babies easily? Otherwise, might have to keep a batch of mice babies to freeze while I try to wean her off.

Can I put a pair of rats in a 10 gallon (without babies, have their own enclosure in the future)? I wouldn't think so, but can find an enclosure easily if this is the case.

Awesome awesome info. Think I might build my own. Am building a 314g aquarium stand at the moment already ^_^

Will probably make it a nice shelving system with baby shoe boxes on another smaller rack perhaps.

Any thoughts on the butter I mentioned?
    Switching now will be much easier. Most stubborn balls can easily be pursuaded to take rats with a little scenting (simply rub the mouse on the rat).

10 gallons is a little small for adult rats, although I keep females in 10 gallons with her babies until they start to become mobile. A 20L or even better a 55 can usually be had on CL really cheap. Again, racks work great if you're dealing with large amounts. If you're only going to keep a few balls, its cheaper and easier to just order your feeders from a breeder. Rodent Pro has always done us right, but there are lots of others to choose from that offer high quality feeders. We only deal locally (never shipped frozen feeders), otherwise we would gladly match online prices. If you do a little research there is probably a rattery close to where you live that will give you a good deal and you can forego the shipping costs.

If you need any help building a rack, hit me up and I will send you some of my own plans and some of others so you can find what works best for you. Most people here would laugh at our racks. I built most of ours when we were just starting out and they are very ghetto and were usually built from shelves we picked up at yard sales/thrift stores, but we have yet to have a single escape. Only two were built from scratch.

Butters are great. I haven't personally worked with them, but my wife and I have been discussing playing with them next year providing we find one that we like. As I said with the spiders, butters also have lots of potential. Pastels are a great co-dom to work with as well and can make some killer combos. Its really all about what you like and your willingness to experiment.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AK907 For This Useful Post:

Jessica Loesch (06-30-2011)

Thanks
    Alright thanks!!! As I said I am looking at a baby butter from constrictors unlimited ... Would it be best to just wait until my female is a bit older or am I okay to make the male wait a couple of years to breed?

I'm assuming rats are too chewy to keep in plastic tubs?

Would love to see your plans
    Last edited by Jessica Loesch; 06-30-2011 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks

Alright thanks!!! As I said I am looking at a baby butter from constrictors unlimited ... Would it be best to just wait until my female is a bit older or am I okay to make the male wait a couple of years to breed?

I'm assuming rats are too chewy to keep in plastic tubs?

Would love to see your plans
    Constrictors Unlimited has some amazing animals and I've only heard good things about them. Not sure what all he has in at the moment (more than he has on his site, though), but Tim Koppenhofer @ Special K Reptiles has some excellent quality critters as well and great prices. We've dealt with him many times and the pictures on his website do not do any of his animals justice. To top it off, Tim is a really nice guy. Should check him out as well.

As far as age, I wouldn't worry about that too much. For females I would wait until they were at least 2-3 years and at least 1,500 grams. The bigger the better. For males, as long as they are 500g or bigger, they usually have no problems breeding. I've talked to lots of people who have bred males at 6 months old and less than 500g! But if you get a male now, getting him to breed later on shouldn't be an issue. I've got a male that is at least 8 years old and he is hands down the most aggressive breeder I've ever seen. I almost feel bad when I pair him up because he doesn't even bother sweet talking the ladies. He takes advantage of them in a way that only James Bond could compete with.

Some rats are, some aren't. Most people who keep them in racks use black cement mixing tubs (Lowe's/Home Depot). The biggest thing is getting a heavy duty tub with no sharp angles that a rat could get its teeth into. So far we've never had one chew out out a tub, but I suppose its possible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AK907 View Post
    Constrictors Unlimited has some amazing animals and I've only heard good things about them. Not sure what all he has in at the moment (more than he has on his site, though), but Tim Koppenhofer @ Special K Reptiles has some excellent quality critters as well and great prices. We've dealt with him many times and the pictures on his website do not do any of his animals justice. To top it off, Tim is a really nice guy. Should check him out as well.

As far as age, I wouldn't worry about that too much. For females I would wait until they were at least 2-3 years and at least 1,500 grams. The bigger the better. For males, as long as they are 500g or bigger, they usually have no problems breeding. I've talked to lots of people who have bred males at 6 months old and less than 500g! But if you get a male now, getting him to breed later on shouldn't be an issue. I've got a male that is at least 8 years old and he is hands down the most aggressive breeder I've ever seen. I almost feel bad when I pair him up because he doesn't even bother sweet talking the ladies. He takes advantage of them in a way that only James Bond could compete with.

Some rats are, some aren't. Most people who keep them in racks use black cement mixing tubs (Lowe's/Home Depot). The biggest thing is getting a heavy duty tub with no sharp angles that a rat could get its teeth into. So far we've never had one chew out out a tub, but I suppose its possible.
    Awesome, you've been a lot of help. I will check out Special K as well Can't wait to add another bp

Lol, your male sounds crazy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessica Loesch For This Useful Post:

AK907 (07-01-2011)

Thanks
    Ordered the male butter Can't wait for him to get here, on Wednesday.

Thanks
    Butters are cool! And I hope my normal looks that when I get her! Personally my favourite morph is the Mojave, I'm not sure why but I think they're awesome, just so expensive here...
    0.1 Black Labrador "Bella"
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jared2608 For This Useful Post:

Jessica Loesch (07-02-2011)

Thanks
    My ball python just pooped on me.

At least I don't have to clean her cage!
    Last edited by Jessica Loesch; 07-01-2011 at 12:43 AM.

Thanks

Ordered the male butter Can't wait for him to get here, on Wednesday.
    Make sure to post pics when you get him!

My ball python just pooped on me.

At least I don't have to clean her cage!
    Only times I ever had a ball poop on me was after soaking or washing them. Colubrids... On a daily basis... Why do I bother?

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to BP.net! Congrats on contracting the fever... It gets worse as you get more involved. I started with one... now I have over 250.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LadyOhh For This Useful Post:

Jessica Loesch (07-02-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOhh View Post
    I started with one... now I have over 250.
    And I thought we were bad...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast