Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,372

4 members and 3,368 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

New BP owner and future potential breeder :)

Hi everyone I have been looking around the forums for some time now and wanted to make an introduction ...

I picked up a baby female normal at 85g about 15 - 20 days ago. She looks so healthy and is very friendly. She loves exploring. Have fed her once and no sheds yet, nor signs of a shed.

Anyway, Here is a pic!

IMG_6527 by muffywrx, on Flickr

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessica Loesch For This Useful Post:

shorty54 (07-04-2011)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to bp.net... She is a pretty looking girl....
    “I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form.”Winston Churchill
    1.0 '10 piebald, 0.1 '10 het piebald, 01 '07 het. Piebald
    0.1 '10 lesser, 0.1 '10 albino, 1.0 '11 Black Pastel het. Albino, 0.1 '11 het. Albino, 0.1 '08 het. Albino, 0.1 '10 het. Albino
    0.1 '09 woma, 1.0 '10 Pewter, 0.1 '11 Lesser Bee
    0.1 '10 Super Cinnamon Woma, 0.1 '10 Mojave Spider, 0.1 '11 mojave, 0.1 Super Chocolate
    0.1 '10 Pastel Yellowbelly, 1.0 '11 Pastel Yellowbelly
    1.1 '10 yellowbelly, 0.2 '10 normal
    0.1 '08 Cinnamon, '08 Normal, 0.1 '10 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Black eyed lucy possible yellowbelly
    1.0 '11 Cinnamon Enchi, 1.0 '11 pastave
    0.1 '10 coral albino Boa, '10 1.0 Sunglow boa, 11 0.1 Motley boa
    0.1 '11 Central American hypo boa, 1.0 Central American Motley
    0.1 '11+T Albino Blood, 0.1 '11 poss het. +T Albino Blood

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Very pretty little girl, congrats and welcome to the forums
    Jerry Robertson

House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts
    Welcome to the Ball Pythons Pokemon Gang
    Dont hesitate to ask questions we are here to help You out

CLICK HERE to LIKE The RLReptiles on FACEBOOK

Rafal Lisinski

1.0 Striped African House Snake "Marduk"
    0.1 Striped African House Snake Ishtar
    1.0 black phase Brown House Snake Seth
    0.1 black phase Brown House Snake Nephthys

Thanks
    Thanks everyone

My hopeful plans are to get a pair of pieds as babies and grow them up, or maybe a pied and a 100% het pied. I am guessing I should get them from different sources to prevent inbreeding or is that not a bad thing in the snake world?

I would also like to get some sort of dominant gene morph to breed with my normal girl, but unsure which morph I want to get Not looking for anything TOO high end. But would like something that looks completely different than a normal

Anyway, got a pair of mice tonight so I can start saving up some pinkies, hoppers, etc for my future stock

I am thinking about building some sort of tower that will hold tubs. What size tubs are recommended for breeding/babies and how many snakes per tub etc etc etc

Am still researching all the time

Thanks
    Thinking maybe a butter. Would be really neat to hold back any butter offspring and try for blue eyed leutistics. Thoughts? Again, I read about this, but I have no idea on the ethics of inbreeding with snakes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Welcome to BP.net
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    Thanks I'm thinking about ordering a baby butter male from constrictors unlimited.

Should I put off ordering the butter until my female is about 2 years old so they will mature at the same time or would it be okay to make the butter wait a while before he breeds?

Thanks

Re: New BP owner and future potential breeder :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Loesch View Post
    Thanks everyone

My hopeful plans are to get a pair of pieds as babies and grow them up, or maybe a pied and a 100% het pied. I am guessing I should get them from different sources to prevent inbreeding or is that not a bad thing in the snake world?

I would also like to get some sort of dominant gene morph to breed with my normal girl, but unsure which morph I want to get Not looking for anything TOO high end. But would like something that looks completely different than a normal

Anyway, got a pair of mice tonight so I can start saving up some pinkies, hoppers, etc for my future stock

I am thinking about building some sort of tower that will hold tubs. What size tubs are recommended for breeding/babies and how many snakes per tub etc etc etc

Am still researching all the time
    Pretty ball.

For dominant/co-dom morphs, spiders are easy to come by and have lots of potential and are very easily distinguished from normals. You can pick them up very cheap too.

As for the mice, don't bother. Get your ball on rats ASAP!!! Even the smallest baby balls have no problem with rat pinks. They are far more nutritious than mice and its much easier to start baby balls on rats than trying to switch an adult ball that was raised on mice. Any breeder or someone who has kept a number of balls will tell you the same.

The towers you refer to are usually called racks. They are the way to go if you're going to keep lots of snakes. For adult balls most people use between 28qt and 41qt tubs, sometimes larger in the case of exceptionally large balls. For hatchlings/babies, a shoebox sized tub works great. You want them small enough that they feel secure.

One snake per tub. Period. The only exception would be when you're pairing up two adults for breeding, but that is only temporary.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AK907 For This Useful Post:

Jessica Loesch (06-30-2011)

Thanks
    Thanks for the awesome info! I just read the part about one snake per tub, lots of research left to do

And for the suggestion on rats - great! I can do that. Mine is on F/T right now, mice. Do you think she will take F/T rat babies easily? Otherwise, might have to keep a batch of mice babies to freeze while I try to wean her off.

Can I put a pair of rats in a 10 gallon (without babies, have their own enclosure in the future)? I wouldn't think so, but can find an enclosure easily if this is the case.

Awesome awesome info. Think I might build my own. Am building a 314g aquarium stand at the moment already ^_^

Will probably make it a nice shelving system with baby shoe boxes on another smaller rack perhaps.

Any thoughts on the butter I mentioned?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast