Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,351

3 members and 3,348 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Ball Python Pricing Question

Ok I am sure someone asked this already and I just can't seem to find it but what I would like to know is how is ball python morph pricing determined?

thanks kindly,

Lance
    NEVER RELEASE FISH OR REPTILES OR ANY ANIMAL INTO THE WILD.

Please read the CARESHEET! to make sure you're doing the best you can for your pet.

Thanks
    Supply and Demand...once market's flooded with some type, then price drops

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Pricing Question

Quote Originally Posted by deathadder1069 View Post
    Supply and Demand...once market's flooded with some type, then price drops
    Exactly!

It also depends on how many different genes the single animal contains. And whether those genes are recessive, dominant, or co-dominant, as well as how long that specific gene has been worked with.
    Clearly, a designer morph that requires five years of breeding to create will cost many times more than a Bumblebee that can be achieved by simply combining a Pastel with a Spider.

Please, correct me if I am misguided here. I am still learning.
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Pricing is determined by joint effort of seller and buyer. On a small scale, a seller determines what amount will satisfy him in return for giving up his snake. A buyer determines what amount he is willing to give in return for said snake. When the two agree on a amount, that's the price that is satisfactory.

On the large scale, it works the same. If there are many of a morph(pastels, spiders) then the price will drop because people can pick and choose sellers easily. If a morph is rare or more difficult to produce, the price will be higher as the morph is more exclusive and harder to locate.

Also, newer morphs are often in more demand. Bright eye-catching morphs(pieds) are more desirable to more people than subtle hard-to-see morphs(yellowbellies). Sometimes females are more desired than males, sometimes the opposite. Combinations get even more tricky, as combining co-dom traits with recessive traits can be a game of odds, so a seller will charge more for a snake he got by playing 1 in 32 odds to produce.

In short(I bet you wish I'd started with the short version), the market of buyers determines what any particular morph or combination of morphs will be priced at. But any seller has the right to price their animals as high as they like.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    see what I am trying to figure out is bumble-bee's average around like $500 dollars but why are lemon blasts around $700? pastel $75 dollars plus pinstripe $250 = $325 why the huge jump I'm sure they add maybe a hundred dollars for the upkeep but more then that is where I'm lost that is how I am looking to figure how breeders price there morphs if you all kinda get a feel for what I am saying like the bumble bee its pastel $75 dollars spider $225 should be $300 dollars then maybe another hundred for the upkeep to make it $400. Am I off or what am I missing please help thanks

Lance

Please read the CARESHEET! to make sure you're doing the best you can for your pet.

Thanks
    Because when breeding the bumble bee you have a lot better breeding outcome
    Say you use a bee x pastel

You could get
    Killer bees
    bumble bees
    Super pastels
    pastels
    spiders
    normals

Your clutch out come would be worth much more than just a pastel x spider, and would have a much better odds

And remember breeding a pastelx spider doesn't guarantee you a bee, each egg has a 25% chance of being a bee, the same chance as it being a normal

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Ball Python Pricing Question

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    see what I am trying to figure out is bumble-bee's average around like $500 dollars but why are lemon blasts around $700? pastel $75 dollars plus pinstripe $250 = $325 why the huge jump I'm sure they add maybe a hundred dollars for the upkeep but more then that is where I'm lost that is how I am looking to figure how breeders price there morphs if you all kinda get a feel for what I am saying like the bumble bee its pastel $75 dollars spider $225 should be $300 dollars then maybe another hundred for the upkeep to make it $400. Am I off or what am I missing please help thanks

Lance
    Because those are hatchling prices and those hatchling prices are a lot less than they were at least 3 years ago when anyone breeding now had to have paid them. Rest asured it cost those current breeders a lot more than $325 to buy their animals.

Then there is the heat, housing and food for two ( or at the very least one ) animals for three years.

Also your prices above have zero profit figured into them? If everybody only covered their costs how would they be able to buy new snakes for themselves?

Then there is the simple fact that, even if you hit the odds every time only one quarter of your clutch will be bumblebees.

Lemon blasts cost more because you see less of them for sale mostly.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

lance (06-26-2011)

Thanks
    Its based on several things, to start , supply and demandd, let's sayy everybody startts to want a clown but not much are being produced that just means the price is going wayyy up , now another thing that makes the morph's pricey is how much work is put into it, for example a queen bee is made up of 3 morphs, lesser, pastel, and a spider that's 3 genes in one and it takes time to make but theirs several things that determine price research basic morphs and then you can see what kind of other snakes that they can make

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JayyPastel24 For This Useful Post:

lance (06-26-2011)

Thanks
    I see what you all our saying I was just trying to get out say I am hatching a new morph its just for example pastel + black pastel what do I do to determine how to charge people is what I am trying to figure out where the numbers in the pricing comes from. I understand hatching odds, supply and demand I just want to know how do we determine what to charge per morph is there a list of prices that we add the morphs breed then calculate the supply and demand plus the upkeep costs then come to our number how much to charge?

Lance