Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,290

1 members and 3,289 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Eww rebel

Thanks

Eww rebel

It almost seems contrary to what I keep learning... So I am posting this to see how many people experienced similar things with there ball pythons.

First... I held my BP within the first 24 hours of getting her... couldnt help it... she acted just fine..

Second... I fed her within the first week.. and she fed just fine..

Thanks
    Yup, I've had the same experience with my normal male. He ate two days after coming home, though I did refrain from handling.

The reason why so many people say not to feed ohandle in the first week isn't because it will absolutely have negative repercussions on the snake, but that. every snake is different and when giving advice on an animal you dont know, its better safe than sorry.

Sure, it can be done without issues, but if you don't then you don't risk having issues to begin with.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks
    I couldn't resist. I had to play with her! I was told she fed the Friday before I brought her home so the fist Friday I had her, I fed her and every Friday since. But then again, my girl wasn't shipped, I got her from a small breeder about an hour north of me.

Thanks
    I had given each of my snakes one week without handling when I first obtained them, but of course there was the occasional soiling of the tub that in turn required me to handle them within that first week. It's not a "set in stone" rule of owning BPs, I'm sure many people have disregarded this suggestion and have had success with feeding and keeping a stress-free BP. It's really just a general consensus that you will have a better chance at a successful feed and a calmer snake if you give them time to settle in.
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts
    It really depends on the snake. I have some like that and some that need a few days rest after handling or they refuse. More often than not if your husbandry is good, a snake will eat.

Regards,

B

Single Serving Friend jsmorphs2's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've never really had a problem with new snakes feeding. Most would eat the same day or a few days after I got them. I try to buy strong feeders.

I do keep handling to a minimum for a while though just cause I don't need to handle them and why add the stress. But there are several that were just total sweeties right from the start that I know wouldn't mind hanging out for a while.

Glad you're having luck with your new little one .
    ~Jessica~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Re: Eww rebel

One other thing to remember - If you are adding a new ball to a collection, then keeping handling to a minimum during QT reduces your chances of cross-contamination to your other animals.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

Simple Man (06-21-2011)

Thanks
    When I get a new one, I offer it food on whatever the next "rat day" is around my house.

If they don't want it, fine. 3 out of 4 so have taken me up on the offer, one was so greedy that she was hanging out at the end of the cage scenting the whole time I fed the others.
    "Why I Have Grey Hair," the story of my life:

The cast: 0.1 het pied, Minnie, "Heartless." 0.1 pied, Dorothy, "The Girl Next Door." 0.1 mojave, Lily, "Stuck Up Little Princess." 0.1 pastel yb, Marilyn, "The Bombshell." 0.1 normal, Miss Maenad, "Femme Fatale." 1.0 dinker, Darth Jackass, "Scum of the Earth." 1.0 piebald, Mickey, "A Really Nice Guy." 1.0 jigsaw, Kaa, "The Young Dude." 0.1 cinnamon, Hera, "If Looks Could Kill" 0.1 pastel, Luna, "If It Moves, Eat It"

Recently joined by Badger and Honey, 1.1 spotnoses.

...and an ever-changing host of supporting actors and actresses: rat and ASF.

Thanks

Re: Eww rebel

I held mine for the 2 hour car ride home, then fed as soon as I got it in the tank. It has been an aggressive eater since day one. It is also friendly and curious when handled. I love my little crusher
    Can't stop with just one!
    0.2 normal bp's (Crusher and Zoiee)
    1.0 normal burmese (Mitch)