Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,354

3 members and 3,351 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: Turtle Eggs

Thanks

Turtle Eggs

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot I'm on an limited amount of time and in a rush. So move it to where ever it belongs. Ok well I came home for a week from school and there were a couple piles of mulch near our house. Well just not 6/12/11 8:21 i noticed what I believe turtle eggs strewn all over the flower bed. There were still 5 kinda hidden in the mulch pile. Well apparently my parents neglected to tell the person going to school for wildlife management we had turtle eggs all over the place. Well I'm not familiar with hatching anything other than chicken eggs and these things are 20 miles from where they were found and not logical to take it back to a mulch supplier. So I'm gonna try to salvage the 5 that weren't damaged. Some quick questions. First of all I'm gonna get a 1/3 mix of vermiculite-playsand-peatmoss. But what temp should I set the incubator? What temp.

I would also like thank all that help. I know the information is out there I just don't have anytime today or tommorrow to look for it other than the small amount I set aside for getting the eggs in the incubator. And I know sadly the probability of these eggs hatching are slim to none. Figured I'd candle them if it is safe for them to.
    Last edited by Muskrat24; 06-12-2011 at 08:39 PM.
    Ball Pythons:
    Pastel 1.0.0

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Turtle Eggs

I don't personally know anything about incubating turtle eggs...but I would imagine the answers would come first from knowing what species you're looking at. Any way to tell? At least, a hint at where you're located so folks can look into local species to help narrow it down?

Good luck with them!

EDIT for one more thought: I've never heard of an egg that wasn't "safe" to candle. And if the foundling eggs have such slim odds of hatching anyhow, I can't imagine that candling them would hurt in any way. It's a good way to tell if they're even worth the effort.
    Last edited by JLC; 06-12-2011 at 09:25 PM.
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Turtle Eggs

i found a clutch a turtle eggs a couple years ago that a raccoon had ravaged. there were 4 or 5 good eggs so i took them home and threw them into the incubator with my cornsnake eggs. i used the same medium as they were found in an just placed them in the incubator. they all hatched perfectly ...btw they ended up being eastern soft shelled turtles and i released them back to were they were laid a week afetr hatching.
    adam jeffery