Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,422

3 members and 3,419 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

UFC 131 Results: Dos Santos vs. Carwin

Pay-Per-View Bouts
    Junior Dos Santos def. Shane Carwin via unanimous decision
    Kenny Florian def. Diego Nunes via unanimous decision
    Mark Munoz def. Demian Maia via unanimous decision
    Dave Herman def. Jon Olav Einemo via second-round TKO
    Donald Cerrone def. Vagner Rocha via unanimous decision

Spike TV Preliminary Bouts
    Sam Stout def. Yves Edwards via first-round KO
    Chris Weidman def. Jesse Bongfeldt via submission (guillotine)

Preliminary Bouts
    Krzystof Soszynksi def. Mike Massenzio via unanimous decision
    Nick Ring def. James Head via submission (rear-naked choke)
    Dustin Poirier def. Jason Young via unanimous decision
    Joey Beltran def. Aaron Rosa via TKO (punches)
    Darren Elkins def. Michihiro Omigawa via unanimous decision
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Dos Santos vs. Carwin Play by Play

June 11 2011 Last updated at 11:15 PM ET
    UFC 131 Live Blog: Junior Dos Santos vs. Shane Carwin Updates
    By Ben Fowlkes

VANCOUVER, British Columbia – This is the UFC 131 live blog for Junior Dos Santos vs. Shane Carwin, a heavyweight bout on tonight's UFC pay-per-view at the Rogers Arena.

In this main event, the winner of Dos Santos and Carwin will receive a title shot against champion Cain Velasquez. Dos Santos (12-1) last competed in August 2010 and then moved on to coach season 13 of The Ultimate Fighter. Carwin's last fight was in July 2010 when he lost in a title bout to Brock Lesnar.

Round 1: Carwin feints with a jab, but dos Santos is nowhere to be found. Dos Santos tosses out a jab and Carwin immediately drops under looking for a single-leg. So much for not wrestling. Carwin has him against the fence, but dos Santos keeps his balance and eventually Carwin gives up on it. Dos Santos missed with a jab but lands a right. Carwin answers back with one of his own. Dos Santos pops out a couple jabs. He has the fight where he wants it right now, with Carwin unable to close the distance. Dos Santos throws a right and this time Carwin gets the takedown off of it, but dos Santos pops right up. Dos Santos is opening up with the left now, battering Carwin with jabs and hooks. Carwin gets nailed with a stiff one and he's down. Dos Santos jumps on him and hammers away with that left hand. Carwin is covering up, but not doing much more than that. Herb Dean warns him to move, but he doesn't. Dos Santos looks up as if to say, 'You seeing this?' Dean waves him on. Carwin rises to his feet just before the bell, bloodied but not yet beaten. MMA Fighting scores it 10-8 for dos Santos.

Round 2: Now we see if dos Santos has worn himself out like Carwin did against Lesnar. He comes out of his corner looking fresh enough, while Carwin looks like he's been hit by a truck. JDS goes back to work with the left, looking to follow up with a right uppercut. Carwin is moving well, and seems very much still in this. Carwin tries a couple of leg kicks. JDS fires off a right. Carwin weaves in looking for a left hook. He finally lands it, wobbling dos Santos, but he takes one back as well. They trade leg kicks, then JDS knocks the sweat off Carwin's dome with a head kick that's partially blocked. Carwin's head movement drops off late in the round, and he's paying for it. JDS digs with hooks to his body in the final seconds. MMA Fighting scores it 10-9 for dos Santos.

Round 3: dos Santos goes back to work with the jab, and Carwin goes under it for the single-leg. JDS defends, but Carwin eventually puts him down, albeit briefly. Back on their feet, dos Santos sticks him with the jab again and again. Carwin just can't get inside it. Carwin weaves in for the same hook, but this time dos Santos is smart enough not to move straight back away from it. JDS stings him with a left that wobbles Carwin for a moment. JDS keeps after Carwin with the jab and the left hook. Carwin has no answer. Dean stops the bout to let the doctor look at Carwin. He's cut around the eyes, but the doctor gives him the okay to continue. After the restart, dos Santos actually takes Carwin down with a smooth double-leg. Bet you didn't see that coming. Carwin kicks him off, but in the final ten seconds JDS nails a second takedown, scooping the big man up for the slam. Carwin locks up a guillotine off his back and rolls JDS over with it, but it's too late. The clock has run out on Carwin. MMA Fighting scores the round 10-9 dos Santos.

Junior dos Santos def. Shane Carwin via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks
    Carwins took a mean beating in rounds 1 & 3. Poor guy never had a chance to get close and land his power shots.
    Last edited by Ninja Reptiles; 06-12-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    I'm making it official:

Dos Santos TKOs Velasquez 2nd round.

On that note, I wanna see the 3rd round of carwin/dos santos and see just how close that guillotine at the end was. If carwin had another 10-15 secs, would he have finished the fight?

Registered User PassionsPythons's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: UFC 131 Results: Dos Santos vs. Carwin

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    I'm making it official:

Dos Santos TKOs Velasquez 2nd round.

On that note, I wanna see the 3rd round of carwin/dos santos and see just how close that guillotine at the end was. If carwin had another 10-15 secs, would he have finished the fight?
    I have to say the guillotine at the end was sunk in pretty good, with another 10-15 seconds he might have ended the fight, but that late in the fight as tired as he was and as slick as they both were.... it's really a toss up.

Thanks
    yeah i could swear as everybody watching with me swore, that dos santos was milliseconds from tapping. can't wait till the UFC implements 5 rd fights.

Thanks

Re: UFC 131 Results: Dos Santos vs. Carwin

Quote Originally Posted by capitalB View Post
    yeah i could swear as everybody watching with me swore, that dos santos was milliseconds from tapping. can't wait till the UFC implements 5 rd fights.
    It's not "the UFC", Zuffa, Dana White, or the fighters you have to convince of that.

It's the state athletic commissions.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

Simple Man (06-13-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Dana had a press conferance last week and he talked a lot about main card 5 rd fights. I think we will see it sooner than later. I hope at least

Regards,

B

Thanks
    That'd be awesome! I'd love to see all fights at least be 5rd fights, but if we could get non-title main events and co-main events, I'd certainly be quite happy.