Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,014

1 members and 3,013 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,112
Threads: 248,550
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NxtGenExotics
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

So I ran into a little snag...

My mom said I could have a BP. Well now she changed her mind because she is all "petrified" about it being in the house....so the only way I can keep one is in the garage. However my dad does a lot of body work and painting in the garage and its not heated during the winter....so I don't know how that would work unless I build a custom "room" for them off the garage. I'm supposed to pick them up Sunday....now what do I do? Please give me ideas on what to do. I'm so mad at her for changing her mind. She told me I can have anything reptile except a snake....in the house atleast. Please help me out.

Kevin Bullis
    Country Born Exotics

Soon to be specializing in: Desert Ghost, Clown, Banana, Hypo, Pied, and Spotnose Combos

Thanks
    Ouch... hmm, I don't have many suggestions to give here. I waited until my parents moved to another state to get my first snake, lol. I wouldn't risk keeping a BP in an area where chemicals/fumes are common (painting), not to mention how difficult it could be to keep the enclosure at the right temperature during the winter. Just not a good idea.. If you have the ability to build a "room" off the garage, I can see that as your only option. As long as it is insulated and heated, and obviously secure from other animals being able to get in.
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

Thanks
    Hi Kevin,

I have a few suggestions. I don't have links on hand, but with a little searching and discussion, you can find out exactly why your mom doesn't like snakes and maybe by providing her with some accurate information (You can find a lot on this site, and I would be more than willing to help locate it), you can start to change her mind. Maybe you should take her to a reputable pet store that has healthy snakes and show them to her. Maybe if she sees you handling them and realizes that you know a lot about them, you can start to persuade her to change her mind. Best of luck, PM me if I can be of any help.

Rick
    1.1.0 Normal BP's, Gene and <No Name Yet>
    .1 Red Tail Boa - Ruby
    .1 Creamsicle corn snake - Gobble

My snakey blog! Please read and comment, I value the opinions of the reptile community!

http://snakeystory.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    They won't let you have a snake, but they will let you add on to the garage? I'd just wait until you move out. Makes things a lot easier.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mft62485 For This Useful Post:

Kymberli (06-09-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Alright. I Will just go with some torts frogs and lizards. I'm so bummed right now.

Kevin Bullis
    Country Born Exotics

Soon to be specializing in: Desert Ghost, Clown, Banana, Hypo, Pied, and Spotnose Combos

Thanks
    Tell her its a legless lizard lol

Well the problem I see with them been on the garage is that the fumes from paint/chemicals can hurt them over time and its just nt peasant what I would do is make a small room on a corner with drywall or plywood and make some ventilation panels on the wall soo that air comes from outside and not from the garage full of fumes from paint.

Or u can try to convene ur mom to let you have them on the closed just keep an eye on what ever heat using, say they are safely look in the closed it may work

With time she will grow used to them believe me I started on the closed too

Thanks
    My mum really didn't like the idea of it.. But I brought them home when she was overseas Well she grew to be a little more tolerant of them, likes to look at them thinking they are really quite pretty, but only behind their locked doors. My mums cool I don't recommend doing something like that though, I was really scared I'd get kicked out of home or my mum would take the tank and throw it outside when she found out.