Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,379

3 members and 3,376 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

which trio should i get?

I have BP's primarily. (also have a hypo columbia RT boa and a dumeril)

Question: Would like to start a boa project.
    not sure what trio to go with..... critaria is ( good Temperment, 6 ft. legth give or take a ft.,, Neat coloring, and marketable)

Love colors like sunglow, and dumerils...

Thanks,

Thanks
    Clearly I'm going a completely different direction than the Boas you are considering, but I would have to say get a trio of Brazilian Rainbow Boas. My dream Boa.
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

Thanks

heard the rainbow boas are temperment?

I have considered them but have not experience with the rainbows and have heard they are are more tempermental then the traditional boa and dumerils..etc. thanks "J"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Re: which trio should i get?

Quote Originally Posted by pastorj View Post
    I have BP's primarily. (also have a hypo columbia RT boa and a dumeril)

Question: Would like to start a boa project.
    not sure what trio to go with..... critaria is ( good Temperment, 6 ft. legth give or take a ft.,, Neat coloring, and marketable)

Love colors like sunglow, and dumerils...

Thanks,
    Couple things I notice - and please, I'm just trying to help so if you know some of this stuff, my apologies - it just doesn't seem like it from the way you worded your post...

First, you can't breed a dumerils to a BCI. Dumerils are a different type of boa altogether - it isn't a 'color', it's a species.

The Dumerils are the only one that will fit your criteria of around 6ft. Your columbian RTB is a BCI and will reach around 7-9 feet if its a male and around 8-10 as a female. They do generally have good temperaments though.

I would do one of two things. First, have your current Dumerils sexed and get one or two more to make a pair or trio and go with that since they fullfill all your criteria. Dumerils may not be quite as marketable though. They are often an 'overlooked' snake. I personally love them, but they are overlooked by many folks. There also are not currently any morphs available in Dumerils. I believe there are one or two out there, but not yet available to the general public.

Second, have your current hypo red tail sexed and get an albino to pair with it along with another morph of your choice. Hypos and albinos are key ingredients to making sunglows. It seems as though many of the BCI morphs are fairly marketable. But remember they will grow bigger.

Hope this helps!
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Thanks

Re: which trio should i get?

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post

Your columbian RTB is a BCI and will reach around 7-9 feet if its a male and around 8-10 as a female.

Sorry but it's Colombian RTB and for BCI I would say more like 5-6 feet for males and 7-8 for females, of course some get bigger but this is more the norm for Colombian BCI.

Ok so now back to the OP I would say maybe some Nicaraguan's they have quite a few morphs out now and average just under 5', like hypo, type 2 anery, ghost, t+ albino, tiger, motley etc...

Even the boas from El Salvador are beautiful and average under 5' also, like blood, hypo, hypo blood, type 2 anery, and pewter etc... are all very cool looking.

Honestly if I were you I wouldn't try and breed dumerils although cool looking in their own right there isn't a very high demand for them, personally I'd go more towards the El Salvador route. Of course there are others out there these are the top two that came to mind. Good luck there are many decisions, just depends on your personal preference and taste.

I wouldn't get an albino BCI for your hypo boa unless it is a hypo het albino because all you would make is a litter of hets. Honestly if you like sunglows I'd get an albino male and a hypo het albino female and breed her when she is in the 6' range. With boas I think it's better to have one male per female, not like bps where one male can cycle through multiple females successfully. Sunglows are always marketable and down right beautiful!