Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,220

0 members and 3,220 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

!!!new ball python owner!!!

I just got home from work and am gonna get a few hours of sleep but when I get up I'm going to buy my very first ball python...any last minute info that has anything to do with ball pythons our the raising of them woulda be appreciated...and also how much can i handle it...i want to handle it as much as possible...thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Justin Hatton; 06-07-2011 at 06:51 AM.

Thanks

Re: !!!new ball python owner!!!

well, um hopefully you have everything you need for it & have done research on the care and keeping of ball pythons before you buy the snake...

cage
    heat pad (U.T.H - under tank heater)
    thermostat to control the heat pad
    accurite digital thermometer/hygrometer (not the crappy dialog style round ones from the pet stores)
    2 identical, appropriate sized hide boxes (one for the warm side and one for the cool side)
    substrate

if you have all the above supplies and have done your homework on the snakes care requirements then your good to go.
    in that case, congratz and welcome to the addiction.

oh and when your snake is settled please do take pics and show us what you've got...we here at bp.net LOOOOOVE pictures.
    Last edited by mommanessy247; 06-07-2011 at 07:13 AM.

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    0.1 mojave ball python (Nyx)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Hemera)
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    3.4.? rats (? = litter coming any day now)
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"
    0.0.1 pied cockatiel 0.0.1 white bellied caique 0.0.2 guinea pigs

Thanks
    when u get ur bp,dont handle,look.or doing anything to her for a week or until she 1st eat.then u can handle her 2 time a week.it depend on ur bp.dont n=make it stress.just be patient.
    PLEASE CLICK HERE

Thanks
    Lets spread the addiction infection.

Thanks
    Yes i have done tons if research...in fact I have been tike by abreeder that I am reading too much and making it more difficult than it is and i have everything ineed and have had the rank set up for about 5 days to make sure the temp and humidity was where it should be...and that's all I can handle it I was told leave it alone for aweek then I can handle it 30 minutes everyday except for after it eats and in that car leave it alone for 24 hours ...thank you again

Thanks
    Sounds like you have it all together (not everyone starts out so prepared). We would love to have pics when you get a chance. I really do find being a snake owner very rewarding. Good luck and enjoy.
    0.1 Pastel Lesser Platinum (BP)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa
    0.1 Indian Sand Boa (Sunset)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Anery)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Rufescen)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Albino)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Snow)
    And a lot of Tarantulas

Registered User creaturelover92's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Hatton View Post
    I just got home from work and am gonna get a few hours of sleep but when I get up I'm going to buy my very first ball python...any last minute info that has anything to do with ball pythons our the raising of them woulda be appreciated...and also how much can i handle it...i want to handle it as much as possible...thanks in advance.

I started my Reptile addiction about 5 months ago but I just figured out yesterday some bp morphs have some defects just do some research on ur morphs health history before u purchase ur bp
    For example all spiders have wobble it can be un noticeable to very severe and I have read that caremels have kink but im not very positive on that

Good luck and post some picks when she/he is settled in
    oh btw welcome to the addiction

Thanks

Congrats on your first Ball! Trust me, it won't be your last.

It sounds like you're good to go for your enclosure, but as for handling, leave him/her alone for a week (like you know) and then after that handle him/her for only 10-15 minutes every other day for the next few weeks. That way, you don't stress her out too much in the beginning. After that you should have a good feel for his/her personality (ie. if she's skittish, adventurous, nippy, etc.) and that'll tell you more about how to handle.

Also, I'd wait 48 hours after feeding before you handle him/her, it gives more time to fully digest.
    --------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...

Thanks
    Where are you getting it from. If the answer is a pet store or craigslist please don't. As a rule these places have suspect animals at best and are not really good places for a first time buyer to buy from.
    "Lucky is the man who never has to confront what he is truly capable of" Unknown

Thanks
    i bought from a small petstore...like a small family owned one i think...definately not petsmart or petco so i think im ok...and i just got him/her home and got her in the tank but its is all over it...it will go halfway into its hides then back out of them then explore the tank some more and looks as if it is trying to esxcape then itll go back in the hide halfway then back out...is this normal behavior and y wont it go all the way in the hide?...but either way i am super excited and will upload some pics soon i think it is just a normal ball but the guy at the shop said she might have a pinstripe gene but idk about the morphs and all that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast