Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,082

0 members and 3,082 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Is this set up ok? And heat help!

So this is my first ball and im having a hard time keeping the temps right in the tank...

I'm also not sure if the thermometers I bought work right or not. I got the cheap analog petco ones. the set up Is a 15 gallon tank, 10-20 gallon zoo med uth on the right, a 100 what ceramic bulb in the dome on the right also and both heat sources plugged into a zilla 1000w thermostat. He has a hide rock on the cool side, a hide coconut on the hot side and a tub to soak in. I have the thermostat set a little below 90.

My problem is that the thermometers say 85 and 80 all day and at night they drop to 80 and 70 which is too low right? should I get different thermometers? I really don't like petco. Lol

He stays in the cool hide during the day so I think that they might be giving me false readings.

If it's not the thermometers, how can I raise the temp?

Thanks for all the help!!!

This is the placement of the probe

Thanks
    Yes, those thermometers are a pile of poo

I would get a digital thermometer like an accurite thermometer that you can get from Walmart, although I've noticed those to be not very accurate either, go with a temp gun if you can

I would try to ditch the light first. Set your thermostat high enough to get your hot spot at about 92ºF

And then if your ambients are not high enough, try the lamp.

The thermostat probe should be directly on the heat pad.
    Last edited by AkHerps; 06-04-2011 at 04:26 PM.
    1.0.0 Blood Python, Chomper.
    0.1.0 Normal Ball Python, Petrie.
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon, Yoshi.
    1.0.0 Barred Tiger Salamander, Watson.
    3 female ferrets, Lola, Cha-Cha and Crazy girl.
    1 male ferret, Rico.
    1 Female Mastiff/Boxer, Bella.

Thanks
    Thanks! I'm about to look for better thermometers, also moved the probe, taped it to the bottom of the uth, I just saw when I was searching the board that people were saying that they hides needed to be identical. I have two different ones. Will that be a problem?

Thanks
    It depends, if the snake likes the cool one better, then he would be choosing comfort over the right temps.

So in theory, yes it can be a problem.

Depending on his size, those hides look really big for a small snake, I would go with something easy like a little box, or small tupperware containers.

They like to have all their sides touching in a hide, they like to squeeze themselves in
    1.0.0 Blood Python, Chomper.
    0.1.0 Normal Ball Python, Petrie.
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon, Yoshi.
    1.0.0 Barred Tiger Salamander, Watson.
    3 female ferrets, Lola, Cha-Cha and Crazy girl.
    1 male ferret, Rico.
    1 Female Mastiff/Boxer, Bella.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    It could be, they should definitely be identical that way the snake doesn't choose security over health. If the hot hide is more comfortable to them they will remain in it and not thermoregulate properly.

Here is a good thermometer/hygrometer. It's highly recommended, you place the unit on the cool side, place the probe on the hot side, and it measures both temps and humidity all in one unit.
    http://www.amazon.com/Chaney-Instrum...7221094&sr=8-6

These same ones can also be found at Home Depot and Lowes

I'm also going to second ditching the lamp.

I'd also ditch the rocks, not only are they going to be hard to clean and sanitize and could potentially spread bacteria around your tank, but they look kind of jagged.
    Last edited by Skittles1101; 06-04-2011 at 05:01 PM.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    =/ I'll take the rocks out ASAP! I thought she might appreciate them to help shed.

She's been staying in the hide on the cold side that is somewhat bigger then the coconut one on the hot side but I have a box I can cut in half and it would be perfect!

I got this one because my Walmart didn't have the one you posted lol no wires sounded good too

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    I've never used that but Acu Rite seems to be a decent company so good luck. As long as your temps and humidity are correct the rocks are unnecessary, I have nothing but a hides and water dish in any of my enclosures and have never had a bad shed. Good luck
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    Did you mean on the uth like this or outside the enclosure, on the pad under the tank?

Thanks
    Thanks! Lol it's been a struggle to keep the humidity right but I moved the heat lamp off and but some glass on top so stable now =)

Registered User mark and marley's Avatar
    Thanks
    for identical hides you could use terra cotta flower pots from lowes or home depot.they are cheap ($1-$2) and work well.use a monkey wrench or pliers to pull/break away an entry big enough to comfortably enter and exit.i tried chipping away with a hammer and ended up breaking em all.soo i guess buy a couple extra just in case you mess up one or two.
    you could also use the drainer dish from a flower pot as well.
    theres a thread somewhere here with good examples of hiding spots,ill find it for you.
    ohh heres another good thing about getting twin terra cotta hides,you could put your coco hide in the middle and bam another option for regulating for your snakie.
    probe placement i put my probes inside the warmest hiding spot and the coolest just on top of the substrate just because i know the hide will be cooler or warmer than the outside of it.
    one thing id like to add is id move the enclosure away from the window,bps dont like alot of light and it could make the enclosure hotter than what your snake wants. at least thats what it would do to my enclosure in this desert i live in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast