Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,068

0 members and 3,068 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Corn snake food

Thanks

Corn snake food

so im thinking of buying a corn snake but my one problem is what do you feed these little guys?
    Last edited by lyoto; 06-03-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Corn snake food

Hi,

They should be able to take small pinky mice easily by the time they are ready for sale.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Re: Corn snake food

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

They should be able to take small pinky mice easily by the time they are ready for sale.

dr del
    ok im going to two pet stores that are near where i live tonight and hopefully they sell small pinkys

another quick question, could i keep one in a tub or do they like height? because i have fairly big 41qt tub that im not using and i was hoping to use it as his enclosure.

Thanks
    I keep mine in tubs, they seem fine
    "There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination....

Thanks
    A corn would be fine in a tub. Mine is out a lot though and loves to climb so he was a good snake to put in an viv so we can see what he is up to. He isn't bothered by people checking him out at all.

Thanks
    Corns are primarily terrestrial. Some will make use of simple branches, but its not needed. It certainly won't hurt to offer it to them.

Corns should be fed mice/rats that are about as big around as the fattest part of thier bodies. Most will take to f/t fairly easily. I feed my hatchlings-yearlings once every 5 days. Yearlings-adults get fed every 7 days. Adult males I keep a little leaner and I feed them once every 10-14 days.

Tubs work great. I keep mine all in tubs. If you get a baby it will most likely feel lost in a 41qt tub unless you offer LOTS of hides. I keep hatchlings in 2.2qt tubs. Soon after I move them up to 4qt "shoebox" sized tubs. Yearlings do just fine in 12/15qt tubs. My adults are kept in 28qt and 41qt tubs.

One thing I can't stress enough with corns is making sure you have a secure lid. They are amazing escape artists and are usually very clever about staying hidden once they get out.

Thanks
    Corn snakes normally eat about anyt rodent that is the right size. I started the clutch I bred on f/t mouse pinks, and the two I kept never ate a live rodent for the entire time I had them. They would take adult mice, or if I was out of mice, rat pups. They are wonderfully accomodating when it comes to prey.
    "Why I Have Grey Hair," the story of my life:

The cast: 0.1 het pied, Minnie, "Heartless." 0.1 pied, Dorothy, "The Girl Next Door." 0.1 mojave, Lily, "Stuck Up Little Princess." 0.1 pastel yb, Marilyn, "The Bombshell." 0.1 normal, Miss Maenad, "Femme Fatale." 1.0 dinker, Darth Jackass, "Scum of the Earth." 1.0 piebald, Mickey, "A Really Nice Guy." 1.0 jigsaw, Kaa, "The Young Dude." 0.1 cinnamon, Hera, "If Looks Could Kill" 0.1 pastel, Luna, "If It Moves, Eat It"

Recently joined by Badger and Honey, 1.1 spotnoses.

...and an ever-changing host of supporting actors and actresses: rat and ASF.

Thanks
    Everything has pretty much been covered, I just wanted to add my two cents. I have four BPs and one corn snake (a snow) and I have to say in the year I've had him he has never disappointed me with feeding! He has a ton of personality and always pops his head up when he hears/feels me around. I'm actually interested in getting one or two more, he's won me over so much.

They love to burrow, too, so I keep mine on aspen and he builds little tunnels in it. I love him to bits.
    1.0 Pastel
    1.0 Spider
    1.1 Citrus Ghosts
    0.1 Albino
    1.0 Normal

0.1 Red Blood Python
    1.0 Corn Snake
    0.1 Hognose
    1.2 Crested Geckos
    0.1 Leachianus