Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,375

5 members and 3,370 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sun conures?

Thanks
    I love caiques and Meyers. Ringnecks are a totally different kind of personality- They aren't my thing but there are some great colors. A lory is a neat bird but the mess they make and their dietary needs are not easy. If you are gong to be in school then a smaller bird like a Quaker will be much happier than a bird like a Grey. They need interaction, stimulation, and lots of handling. They are like having a five year old for life. If they don't have the right care and attention many birds will damage them selves. Just things for you to think about.
    Last edited by Cendalla; 06-03-2011 at 04:19 PM.
    0.1 Pastel Lesser Platinum (BP)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa
    0.1 Indian Sand Boa (Sunset)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Anery)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Rufescen)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Albino)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Snow)
    And a lot of Tarantulas

Thanks

Re: Sun conures?

ok i only read the 1st page of responses but i have to add this input...
    although i have only cockatiel experience it is quite well known that parrots, big and small alike, usually get loud when they're "establishing contact with their flock" known as "contact calls". they want to know who's around and where they are. it's how they communicate with each other out in the wild so naturally it's how they do it in our homes. i had a friend's mom who sadly got a sun conure purely on impulse due to its beauty and ended up getting rid of it cuz it was so loud and started making their cockatiels scream.
    my tiels only screamed as a way of making contact with me but one only screamed when there was someone at the door or when my daughter, then a toddler, was crying in her room. i'm hard of hearing so the bird put 2 & 2 together and began alerting me to those things when i couldnt hear them. she was my hearing assistance birdy, haha.
    anywho the biggest mistake to make with a screaming parrot is to yell at them. some do it to silence the bird and although it might work temporarily it'll eventually only reinforce & intensify the screaming once the bird realizes your "answering their calls".
    although parrots do love to scream and some swear they do it to hear themselves, there are always exceptions to every rule. just because they mostly do it doesnt mean you might not get lucky and end up with one thats not so bad.

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    0.1 mojave ball python (Nyx)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Hemera)
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    3.4.? rats (? = litter coming any day now)
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"
    0.0.1 pied cockatiel 0.0.1 white bellied caique 0.0.2 guinea pigs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpartaDog View Post
    I read once that they only get louder when you have multiples XD So that was probably a big part of it.
    I have found that is true regardless what species the other birds are. Once one starts screaming flock mentality kicks in and they all start screaming.

In my experience conures are louder in volume, but hans macaws are a lot more loud in duration of screams & frequency of how often they happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mommanessy247 View Post
    ok i only read the 1st page of responses but i have to add this input...
    although i have only cockatiel experience it is quite well known that parrots, big and small alike, usually get loud when they're "establishing contact with their flock" known as "contact calls". they want to know who's around and where they are. it's how they communicate with each other out in the wild so naturally it's how they do it in our homes.
    With conures they have different distinct calls. The "where are you" call isn't very loud and it's one note with a long gap in time between them. When ours wants to be let out before anyone is awake he'll do the same note, pause for a few seconds, and do it again until someone gets out of bed to uncover him. If someone walks out of the room he'll make the same call to try to get them to come back. He'll do the same "where are you" call to try to interact with the birds outside in the wild. Sometimes they'll respond back.

Then separately is the "I am pissed off" scream which is similar to the "I am scared" scream. When ours wants something and isn't getting it, or just wants to be an ass, or is scared for any or no reason- it will scream and scream and scream until it's covered up. We can't let ours see outside at all because seeing any bird outside [especially crows] will trigger the "I am scared" scream. These two screams don't seem to be happen in an attempt to "call for someone." The "I am pissed off" scream is one note repeated twice at high volume, a short pause, then again. The "I am scared" scream is this same note but played continuously on repeat with almost no pause between it.

Separately the bird has some playful noises it makes while it's being played with, but they're not loud at all.
    Last edited by Emilio; 08-18-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: inappropriate language

Thanks

a species of parrot i like is the quaker parrot it stays around twelve inches long ,and eighty to one hundred fifty grams

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234