Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,364

5 members and 3,359 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sun conures?

Thanks
    Good thoughts. I assume you know the list of things you can't feed as well? Some of them are not intuitive, like apple seeds are a big no no due to the levels of cyanide in them. Same with many other fruit pits and seeds.

Thanks

Re: Sun conures?

Quote Originally Posted by OtterGoRun View Post
    Good thoughts. I assume you know the list of things you can't feed as well? Some of them are not intuitive, like apple seeds are a big no no due to the levels of cyanide in them. Same with many other fruit pits and seeds.
    I don't know the exact specifics yet, but the idea's only been in the air for two days now, so I haven't had the chance to do much research. School gets out in two weeks, so once things slow down, I'll start getting into it and finding out all the details.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpartaDog View Post
    I don't know the exact specifics yet, but the idea's only been in the air for two days now, so I haven't had the chance to do much research. School gets out in two weeks, so once things slow down, I'll start getting into it and finding out all the details.
    Good, good. Definitely do your research beforehand, as it will make the transition much easier for both of you. There are lots of great resources out there on what to feed and what not to feed. Some are obvious, like chocolate being a no-no, but others are unknown to many pet owners, such as avocado, dried beans, onions, and others being dangerous and causing death.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OtterGoRun View Post
    Good, good. Definitely do your research beforehand, as it will make the transition much easier for both of you. There are lots of great resources out there on what to feed and what not to feed. Some are obvious, like chocolate being a no-no, but others are unknown to many pet owners, such as avocado, dried beans, onions, and others being dangerous and causing death.
    Of course. Being a snake owner, I know the importance of researching a pet before you get one. Especially one that will last as long as a parrot.

Thanks
    Yeah, some last a very long time. There is a parrot at my zoo in his late 70's

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Quakers are awesome talkers, a bit loud but an all around amazing bird in a small package.
    Jerry Robertson

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Conures are noisy but noise and mess are part of owning birds.

Some conures are less noisy than others (yet still nosy) such as Green Cheek.

I have a male and trust me he knows how to get his point across when he is mad he can make himself loud but not as loud as a Sun Conure, he is also a very good talker which is not really typical for them but mine is a motor mouth, he can say: Treat, I love you, Come here, What you doing, I love you Baby, I'm a good birdie, I'm a good boy, Whatching TV who knows what's next

Here he is

Remember Conures are intelligent bird that need stimulation, time and interaction.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Cendalla (06-03-2011)

Thanks

We owned a Sun Conure when I was growing up, very loud. Also very smart and awesome little birds, but still. It was enough to run you out of the house at times. The mess isn't a big deal though. Keep paper in the tray and around the cage, it makes clean up a few minute job every few days. Then I just wash her cage once every few weeks.

When I got older, Macaws caught my eye, but I still liked the way Conures looked, so..I got a Macaw that resembled a Conure.

Thanks
    Thanks guys. I think it's pretty safe to say I'm not going to get a conure, but I will probably be getting a bird. Again, I personally don't mind the noise, but my parents will, as will the neighbors in the apartment the bird and I will be living in. So these are the species I'm looking at now, in no particular order:

Black-capped caique
    White-bellied caique
    African gray
    Meyers parrot
    Indian ringneck parakeet
    Rainbow lory (haven't done much research on the noise level for these yet)

Whether mom says yes or not, it'll take about a year to raise the $1200 needed for the bird and all the supplies, so I'll have plenty of time to do my research and get some suggestions from experts.

Thanks
    Rainbow Lories are LOUD too. You also have to make sure you are providing fresh nectar every day, as that is a major part of their diet. African Greys can be talkers, but they aren't as squawky as some other birds. Parakeets are a little better, and I am not familiar enough with the rest to know for sure. We didn't have those in our collection.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast