Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,195

2 members and 3,193 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

View Poll Results: Is the rep system flawed?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 12.96%
  • No

5 9.26%
  • Could be improved

22 40.74%
  • Small Cow

20 37.04%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Poll: Rep system...is it flawed?

...and what is the point of it?

There has seemed to be an influx in new members this spring, more than the past. I have noticed that some of these members have multiple green box...things, just after a couple of months.

They don't have an incredible amount of thanks. On the flip-side, there are members who have been signed on since 2006 who don't post as often, some have less than 1k post in 5 years. I feel their posts have a bit more substance to them...kind of the advice from the old man who's been around the block a few times. Yet, the old man is still 'learning and growing'?

"Suzy-Q" has been here for about 3 months and is 'true blue.' Really?

Is the system flawed? ...is it even necessary? Maybe it can be improved upon. Maybe it is a system that reps a person per their business ethics...so you have something to refer to prior to doing business. A sort of ebay seller status-BOI-type of thing. Maybe it is something...of use.

This isn't meant to trash the rep system...just a question of it's significance.

Don't get me wrong, its cute.
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jerhart For This Useful Post:

EverEvolvingExotics (08-20-2011),jben (05-29-2011),llovelace (05-29-2011),RhacHead (05-30-2011)

Thanks

Re: Poll: Rep system...is the it flawed?

Sorry.

My title is flawed.
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______

Kansas City Chiefs

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Ill be honest, I've been around <---that long and have <---that many posts, and I have no idea how it works. is 3 bars good? lol
    Last edited by OhhWatALoser; 05-29-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    is 3 bars good? lol
    Exactly.

Is it suppose to be a measure of your status? And what status?

I have purchased a handful of snakes from multiple members on this board. Some of them rarely post. But they had superb customer service and I could not be more pleased with how they have treated me...those are the people who should be sporting the multiple green bars.

These people are still learning and growing.
    Last edited by Jerhart; 05-29-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______

Kansas City Chiefs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerhart For This Useful Post:

jben (05-29-2011)

Thanks
    I don't really know what my status is. But I've def. been around awhile.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kellysballs For This Useful Post:

Jerhart (05-29-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Poll: Rep system...is it flawed?

Hi,

Personal understanding only in the following post - not staff policy ( as I'm tired and can't remember most of that )

I think you have hit a few pertinent points right on the head.

The rep system was never really intended or designed to be a reflection of trader status.

There are systems out there ( iTrader for example ) that fit that mold. But that does function in a similar manner to your description.

Two forums I am on ( and occasionally sell on ) use the itrader system - there is no link between them so a great reputation on one forum is worthless on another.

And at best only 50% of the buyers and sellers use it at all - and that is among the small minority who know it exists.

Ebay nags you to fill out feedback and is easy to do - iTrader doesn't and isn't.

But BP.net realy isn't a sales based forum in any way so it doesn't make a great deal of sense to use a rep system that rewards anything different to our main focus - to help people get the knowledge and support they need.

The systems we have at the moment allow people to thank for usefull posts ( relatively recent ) or give reputation points if they feel the post deserves them (been in place for a looooong time ). The reputation button gives more points than the thanks button - but only one of them can be used on the post by each member.

But both these systems rely on people giving "credit" for posts. If someone doesn't post much there are obviously limitiations placed on the amount of rep they can recieve.

That they have the knowledge is probably a fair statement - but if they don't share it how will the people capable of giving rep ever know?

Does that make any sense?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post

Does that make any sense?

dr del
    Yes.

But it doesn't answer my question.

What is the point of it?
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______

Kansas City Chiefs

Thanks

Hi,

It's a rep system on a web forum - I wouldn't go searching for any deep metaphysical point to it.

It rewards members ( in small ways ) who are thought to be helpful or otherwise valued members of the comunity by their peers.

A higher rep gives ( if I remember correctly ) larger galleries, larger PM inboxes, larger avatars and more free adverts.

In the past an extremely low rep ( seriously negative ) would have affected your ability to post. I don't think this is currently the case - it's not like we have that many members who ever reach those levels.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

It's a rep system on a web forum - I wouldn't go searching for any deep metaphysical point to it.

It rewards members ( in small ways ) who are thought to be helpful or otherwise valued members of the comunity by their peers.

A higher rep gives ( if I remember correctly ) larger galleries, larger PM inboxes, larger avatars and more free adverts.

In the past an extremely low rep ( seriously negative ) would have affected your ability to post. I don't think this is currently the case - it's not like we have that many members who ever reach those levels.

dr del
    I just gave rep out...for no reason...didn't say anything. Because I can. Is the system true? Is it flawed?

I just don't understand how someone who has been on this site for 3 months has 5 green bars and has earned more privileges than an individual who has been a member for 6 years?

Does that seem right...because I just showed that you can give rep out for absolutely no reason at all.

I guess I am just one that, if it is going to be done...shouldn't it be done right?

The thing should just be called the "popularity meter" because really that is all it is. It has nothing to do with being helpful...it can...but it's not the foundation to the system at all.
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______

Kansas City Chiefs

Thanks

Hi,

I found the differences listed in this chart;

And here are the threads where both the old system and some changes were announced.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ion-System-FAQ

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...System-REVIVED!!

Typically I can't find the thread announcing the "thanks" button now that I need to find it.

If I manage to find it I will edit it into the thread somewhere for you.

dr del
    Derek

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast