Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,322

0 members and 3,322 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

UGG! I think my rats have lice...Help!

Well this morning I was inspecting the baby fuzzy rats like I do everyday and I held one of the berkshires.
    I noticed little brown bugs stuck to his skin...friggin great!
    My dogs just had some feas and now it looks like I have rats with lice.
    Im sure my adults have had the bugs for quite some time and just passed it to the babies through nursing...Is there any sort of oral or topical treatment available for rodents? I assume most people wouldnt care about this stuff but I dont want my breeders infested! And I dont know if this kind of louse can be spread to humans or my dogs etc.
    I was able to put a couple bugs on a paper towel and take some pictures.
    Keep in mind these are FUZZY rats, so the hair in the pic is a couple milimeters long if even. The bug is VERY tiny and was hard to see any detail with the naked eye. If anyone has any info on a treatment or what to do I would appreciate it!

My name is Adriane
    Welcome to the Jungle
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Banana Pied Ball Python
    2.0 Boston Terriers
    0.2 Buggs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    You might look into diatomaceous earth as a treatment. It is a mechanical treatment as it breaks down the exoskeletons. It is low toxicity and could be washed off before feeding if need be. It might not be great for pinkies as it is very dehydrating but adults and juvies should be fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

mues155 (05-26-2011)

Thanks
    Do you see any specs of blood or anything on the mice? Sometimes I believe lice or other parasites will leave behind a little speck of blood from feeding on their host but this one is probably too tiny to see it. Some species don't even feed on blood but rather loose skin and debris on the host's body.
    Another thing, if it is lice you will probably see "nits", the lice eggs. Live ones are white in color, dead ones yellow; check your darker mice and see if you can find any.
    As for treatment...gosh, I have no idea what's safe for those little guys (mice). Regardless, try to stay away from any chemicals--they only increase louse's resistance to the chemicals, so the next person this happens to it will be harder to eliminate.
    I can't help on the treatment any more than that bit of advice.
    Wipe down an adult mice you suspect of having lice with a wet towel and see what you find. I'd even try a special lice comb to see if you can comb any out to confirm they're lice before beginning treatment.
    Best of luck. Keep us updated.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shelliebear For This Useful Post:

mues155 (05-26-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Get a can of Provent a Mite and treat the cage when you clean the bedding. Should get rid of them if not might need to look for some animal lice sprays.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

mues155 (05-26-2011)

Thanks

Re: UGG! I think my rats have lice...Help!

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    You might look into diatomaceous earth as a treatment. It is a mechanical treatment as it breaks down the exoskeletons. It is low toxicity and could be washed off before feeding if need be. It might not be great for pinkies as it is very dehydrating but adults and juvies should be fine.
    Awesome thank you, I will look into that.
    Quote Originally Posted by shelliebear View Post
    Wipe down an adult mice you suspect of having lice with a wet towel and see what you find. I'd even try a special lice comb to see if you can comb any out to confirm they're lice before beginning treatment.
    Best of luck. Keep us updated.
    Ill have to do that to all the rats and make sure every cage is infested, which im 99% sure they would be. I rotate one male per females so Im sure they all need treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    Get a can of Provent a Mite and treat the cage when you clean the bedding. Should get rid of them if not might need to look for some animal lice sprays.
    Thank you! I will look into that!

thanks guys for the quick replys
    My name is Adriane
    Welcome to the Jungle
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Boston Terriers
    0.2 Buggs

Thanks
    Heres a pic you can clearly see a few lice in the pic. Theres a HUGE louse under the ear of the rat pup on the left....just makes me mad I hate bug problems..

My name is Adriane
    Welcome to the Jungle
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Boston Terriers
    0.2 Buggs

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Be very careful with the provent-a-mite around the rats though. It's highly toxic. A great fix is go to the pet store and pick up the mite disc for birds. Peel the paper off and set it (holes facing down) on the top of the screen above the rats. Keeping a few of these mite discs around your cages or rodent tubs will help keep mites and lice away.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

mues155 (05-26-2011)

Thanks

Re: UGG! I think my rats have lice...Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    Be very careful with the provent-a-mite around the rats though. It's highly toxic. A great fix is go to the pet store and pick up the mite disc for birds. Peel the paper off and set it (holes facing down) on the top of the screen above the rats. Keeping a few of these mite discs around your cages or rodent tubs will help keep mites and lice away.
    good idea! Ill go get some of those tomorrow, I never thought of those dics! Ill see if they work.
    My name is Adriane
    Welcome to the Jungle
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Boston Terriers
    0.2 Buggs

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    I got the idea on a rat forum I was lurking at for info awhile ago. They said it worked so I figured why not? It's safe too because birds have incredibly sensitive lungs but the bird protector mite disc is harmless to them when hung on the outside of the cage.

I have a problem with wood mites from bedding sometimes. Those suckers get on me and bite! I need to go pick up some more myself.

Thanks
    Well Ive had birds since forever, so I know about the discs but never thought of them for rodents and such.
    thanks for the awesome idea! its on my list for tomorrows errands.
    My name is Adriane
    Welcome to the Jungle
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Boston Terriers
    0.2 Buggs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast