Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,067

0 members and 3,067 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question (mice vs asf rats) who's a better feeder??

My question is whats a better feeder for bp's? such as putting on weight and over all keeping a nice size and looking snake.feed every week?every 2 weeks,or every month?:are mice better or asf rats???
    Last edited by FINGAZZ; 05-24-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Thanks
    All BPs should be fed every 5-10 days, depending on size of prey you're offering and number of prey if offering much smaller prey. As nutritional value goes, to my knowledge, there isn't a huge difference between mice, African Soft Fur rats, and other rats. It's usually up to the individual snake's preference. It is believed that most BPs accept ASFs more willingly because that is the prey item most readily available in their natural habitat.
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kymberli For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (05-24-2011),Anya (05-24-2011)

Thanks

Re: (mice vs asf rats) who's a better feeder??

Quote Originally Posted by Kymberli View Post
    All BPs should be fed every 5-10 days, depending on size of prey you're offering and number of prey if offering much smaller prey. As nutritional value goes, to my knowledge, there isn't a huge difference between mice, African Soft Fur rats, and other rats. It's usually up to the individual snake's preference. It is believed that most BPs accept ASFs more willingly because that is the prey item most readily available in their natural habitat.
    see i get that but there born captive so how would they know thats whats in there natural habitat. i breed both mice and asf rats but want to keep just one type of food on the menue.i have one female that will only eat mice but wont touch a asf rat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FINGAZZ View Post
    see i get that but there born captive so how would they know thats whats in there natural habitat.
    The same way that some mice and rats instinctively know to be terrified of snakes, despite having never encountered one in captivity before, or had the opportunity to learn to be afraid of one. Because snakes are not raised by their parents, much of what they do is entirely instinctive (like the scent or "movement signature" of one prey item being more appetizing than another).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anatopism For This Useful Post:

Kymberli (05-24-2011)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    ASFs are more prone to just freeze when you put them in the enclosure with a snake. Mice are more active. ASFs get larger. BPs prefer the scent of ASFs more.

Just depends on your preference. It is best to attempt to get your BP eating rats tho.

Thanks

I've heard that older or larger snakes should not be kept only on mice. For an adult ball python, or any larger snake, multiple mice would need to be fed at each feeding. By feeding 4 mice as opposed to a larger rat, the snake is getting less substance in it's diet and more filler, like too much bones and fur. (bones are important for calcium, sure, but at a specific ratio) That's my understanding at least. Although, we are all captive to our snake's desires.
    Also, in the wild they eat more opportunistically than in captive environments. But most likely whatever they eat in the wild is endothermic, like small mammals and birds.
    Ride the snake, ride the snake/ To the lake, the ancient lake, baby/ The snake is long, seven miles/ Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold... (The End, The Doors)
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Ball python 1.1 Leopard Gecko 1 Crested Gecko 1 African Side Neck Turtle 0.1 Giant Plated Lizard 1 Ribbon Snake 0.0.1 Corn Snake 0.0.1 Tiger Salamander 0.0.1 Metallic Pinktoe Tarantula 0.1 Black Lab/Pit Bull mix 1

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts
    You have to be careful feeding ASF. Some snakes get imprinted on it and won't eat anything else. That isn't always the case but there's a chance. Rats and mice are easier to get ahold of usually. An ASF eating animal is worth typically less to most people. Myself, I would pass up on an ASF only snake entirely. They aren't available in my area easily.

Regards,

B

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    You have to be careful feeding ASF. Some snakes get imprinted on it and won't eat anything else. That isn't always the case but there's a chance. Rats and mice are easier to get ahold of usually. An ASF eating animal is worth typically less to most people. Myself, I would pass up on an ASF only snake entirely. They aren't available in my area easily.

Regards,

B
    i breed them so feeding them only that isnt a problem.in my area there very hard to come by. i lucked out on this guy that had 4 breeding bins full for a $100 and just switch the elders off to younger ones.once i have baby bp's they will be eating pinlies and mice because if someone picked one up off me they wont have a problem on geting mice to feed them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FINGAZZ For This Useful Post:

Simple Man (05-25-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anatopism View Post
    The same way that some mice and rats instinctively know to be terrified of snakes, despite having never encountered one in captivity before, or had the opportunity to learn to be afraid of one. Because snakes are not raised by their parents, much of what they do is entirely instinctive (like the scent or "movement signature" of one prey item being more appetizing than another).
    i see.makes sence thanks for clearing that up for me...

Thanks
    Oh, and it also depends on where you live. African Soft Fur rats are illegal here in California and several other states. I've heard of some stores selling frozen ASFs here, probably shipped in from other states or possibly some nearly impossible license they've obtained.
    Last edited by Kymberli; 05-24-2011 at 11:44 PM.
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast