Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,928

2 members and 2,926 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Help With Baytril Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Homegrownscales View Post
    I agree I wouldn't skip days. There may be something in rds procedure that you aren't seeing. Like dosage... Solution etc. Is there something with the shot you need help with? Ive given many shots to many snakes. Maybe I can help?
    It's just really hard for me to hold him and give him the shot by myself. My neighbor has been helping me hold him but last night and a few nights ago I didn't get home until really late and my neighbor was sleeping. The one time I did give him a shot by myself I came really close to breaking the needle off inside the snake. So I figure its better to skip a dose rather than risk that. Im still going to finish the 10 dose treatment so im hoping its not a problem. I know with people they say its ok to skip a dose or two as long as you finish the antibiotics.....but then again thats people .....not reptiles

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    .1 Jungle Corn .1 Pueblan Milk
    .1 Rosy Boa 1 False Water Cobra
    2 Painted Turtles 1 Stink Pot
    1 Miniature Pinscher
    http://www.youtube.com/1980norcal

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nor_cal1980 View Post
    It's just really hard for me to hold him and give him the shot by myself. My neighbor has been helping me hold him but last night and a few nights ago I didn't get home until really late and my neighbor was sleeping. The one time I did give him a shot by myself I came really close to breaking the needle off inside the snake. So I figure its better to skip a dose rather than risk that. Im still going to finish the 10 dose treatment so im hoping its not a problem. I know with people they say its ok to skip a dose or two as long as you finish the antibiotics.....but then again thats people .....not reptiles
    I think the same rule applies to reptiles - if you skip a dose you could possibly run the dual risk of (1) not completely killing the infection or (2) knocking the infection back, and in the process facilitating it's resistant to Baytril.

The only antibiotic I've ever seen administered every 24 hours is Baytril. I've never had to administer other antibiotics every day - the most frequent dosage I've ever seen prescribed for snakes outside of Baytril is every other day. Ceftazidime, for example is every 72 hours.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

mark and marley (05-30-2011)

Registered User mark and marley's Avatar
    Thanks
    do not skip.if you get home late suck it up and administer the shot.did you try my hide,hand and jiu jitsu method? it worked for me and my bp.you are a grown human with intelligence far superior to any of your pets.you should be able to trick and over power your snake(unless its a monster). its alot about precision and quickness while being gentle.some people arent very cooridinated with their hands and i would say practice being quick,precise,and gentle with a used needle on things in your house you could throw away to get used to giving the shot.before i would administer my bp i would do some practice runs with a used needle on one of those nerf balls soft on the inside and some paint on the outside or an orange im going to throw away.tattoo artist practice on fake skin so i think it would benefit you to practice on fake skin.
    its your duty as that snakes parent to make sure your there to give it its meds everyday around the same time(i used a vacation week and a couple of option days at work to make sure i gave her her shot around the same time as the vet did)..i have a dog that gets insulin twice a day for diabetes for the rest of his existance.ten days is nothing compared to that.it sucks and it sucks even worse for snakes cause they are more sensitive and way more resistant.
    what would be acheived if you skipped a day?nothing.the snake would have the same reaction to the shot the next day as well.hes not going to get used to it and make it easier for you.
    as i digress, its your responsibility and that snake depends on you.and you alone.
    dont try to push it this way or that way.you know what must be done.
    Last edited by mark and marley; 05-30-2011 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mark and marley View Post
    do not skip.if you get home late suck it up and administer the shot.did you try my hide,hand and jiu jitsu method? it worked for me and my bp.you are a grown human with intelligence far superior to any of your pets.you should be able to trick and over power your snake(unless its a monster). its alot about precision and quickness while being gentle.some people arent very cooridinated with their hands and i would say practice being quick,precise,and gentle with a used needle on things in your house you could throw away to get used to giving the shot.before i would administer my bp i would do some practice runs with a used needle on one of those nerf balls soft on the inside and some paint on the outside or an orange im going to throw away.tattoo artist practice on fake skin so i think it would benefit you to practice on fake skin.
    its your duty as that snakes parent to make sure your there to give it its meds everyday around the same time(i used a vacation week and a couple of option days at work to make sure i gave her her shot around the same time as the vet did)..i have a dog that gets insulin twice a day for diabetes for the rest of his existance.ten days is nothing compared to that.it sucks and it sucks even worse for snakes cause they are more sensitive and way more resistant.
    what would be acheived if you skipped a day?nothing.the snake would have the same reaction to the shot the next day as well.hes not going to get used to it and make it easier for you.
    as i digress, its your responsibility and that snake depends on you.and you alone.
    Perhaps taking into consideration the type of snake involved should enter into your well meant but off target advice.

This is NOTHING like your ball python that your jj mojo worked so well upon.

For what he's doing and the size of the snake it is at least a tubing job and even better a 2 man job. Injury of a serious nature could otherwise occur to either the snake or the owner. Responsibility means knowing proper procedure and abiding by it, as well as how to count consecutive days.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

mark and marley (05-31-2011)

Thanks
    thats why i said unless its a monster.i didnt know the size i mustve missed that part.and as you say it is a monster.its well intended and i mean no disrespect.i was giving an example of what worked for me thats all.your right i have no experience with colubrids i just know they are quick. but regardless of the species i stand by not skipping but sheesh thats a hard spot to be put in.jiu jitsuing that snake by yourself with a needle equals damage to possibly both.tubing doesnt trick him.no tricks,no power,just danger.
    dang man id find another vet.one that would allow you to come in for him to help you if noone else will.and especially one that could actually call you back.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

thats why i said unless its a monster.i didnt know the size i mustve missed that part.and as you say it is a monster.its well intended and i mean no disrespect.i was giving an example of what worked for me thats all.your right i have no experience with colubrids i just know they are quick. but regardless of the species i stand by not skipping but sheesh thats a hard spot to be put in.jiu jitsuing that snake by yourself with a needle equals damage to possibly both.tubing doesnt trick him.no tricks,no power,just danger.
    dang man id find another vet.one that would allow you to come in for him to help you if noone else will.and especially one that could actually call you back.
    Yes, not only a vet that will return calls, but one that will offer (maybe even for a small fee) to administer the shots every day.

I know of some vets that charge nothing for such a service (and consider it part of the fee for the medicine) and others that charge a little bit.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 05-31-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Thanks

I finally got a hold of the vet and he said it's preferable not to skip a dose but as long as no more than 48 hours passes in between doses it would be fine. I gave the 10 shots in a twelve day period and the snake seems to be doing great.

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    1 Miniature Pinscher

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nor_cal1980 For This Useful Post:

mark and marley (06-09-2011)

Thanks

Update On FWC

Just want to give you guys an update on my false water cobra. Its been about a month now since the RI issue and having to administer the antibiotics. After some TLC, rest, and lots of eating he seems to be just as healthy as ever! Im so happy that its over with and that he's ok. I was very worried that I hurt him at some popint administering the shots but all seems to be well. He's eating like a hog and growing like a weed. He's also back to his normal,very active behaivior and no sign of sneezing or wheezing. The only differnce I notice is that he's alot more cage aggresive now. He was always a little cage aggresive, but I think with the combo of the trauma of the shots and also not handling him too much during the last month he's a little wary of me. I've been working with him, and he's getting better and will continue to do so....thank you guys for all the help along the way!!

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    1 Miniature Pinscher

Thanks
    ive spoken to you in pm but i will say it again.good job you are a good owner and i apologize again if i was abrasive in anyway.

id say pics are necessary

Thanks
    ive spoken to you in pm but i will say it again.good job you are a good owner and i apologize again if i was abrasive in anyway.i set my heart on getting a fwc sometime in the near future and i hope i never have to go through what you both did.

id say pics are necessary

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast