Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,284

1 members and 3,283 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Help With Baytril Shot

Ok so I took my false water cobra to the vet today because of RI symptoms. The vet gave him a shot of baytril, an antibiotic. For us to give him the shot it took the vets free hand, the vet tech, and myself to hold him still. I felt awful because this snake is the most happy go lucky snake i've ever come across and the poor guy was like "what the hells going on" and was totally freaking out when we gave him the shot. He's one of the few types of snakes thats never had a real fear of people and im hoping this doesn't change that. The bad part is I have to give him a shot every day for the next nine days on my own. I don't know anyone in the immediate area who's willing to help. Im almost regretting taking him to the vet because his symptoms weren't that bad. He's been sneezing for the last couple weeks so I kicked his temps up. It got better but didn't go away completely so I just didn't want to take the chance. So now im kinda worried about giving him the shots on my own. I dont want him to get hurt in the process while he's trying to get away. Anyone who's had to give these shots please give me some pointers on how to do it on my own. Thanks.

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    .1 Jungle Corn .1 Pueblan Milk
    .1 Rosy Boa 1 False Water Cobra
    2 Painted Turtles 1 Stink Pot
    1 Miniature Pinscher
    http://www.youtube.com/1980norcal

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iCandiBallPythons For This Useful Post:

nor_cal1980 (05-22-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    You'll need to get a clear plastic rigid tube just big enough in diameter for him to slither into and a couple of feet long. Most aquarium shop carry different sizes. Get at least a foot or so of his body in the tube before you inject him. This may well be a 2 person job. Tubing the snake will protect you and make him easier to handle.

Once you have him positioned in the tube then you can inject him. They're smart enough to know what's going on so after the first time it may be a bit of a contest to get him in again. Once he is in the tube you'll either need some help or to grow an extra hand to keep him in and give him the injection.

Have the syringe prepared before you put him in the tube. FWCs are experts and slithering backwards and having no necks they slip out of hands and tubes quickly and easily if you are not paying close attention.

Good luck.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

nor_cal1980 (05-22-2011)

Thanks

Re: Help With Baytril Shot

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    You'll need to get a clear plastic rigid tube just big enough in diameter for him to slither into and a couple of feet long. Most aquarium shop carry different sizes. Get at least a foot or so of his body in the tube before you inject him. This may well be a 2 person job. Tubing the snake will protect you and make him easier to handle.

Once you have him positioned in the tube then you can inject him. They're smart enough to know what's going on so after the first time it may be a bit of a contest to get him in again. Once he is in the tube you'll either need some help or to grow an extra hand to keep him in and give him the injection.

Have the syringe prepared before you put him in the tube. FWCs are experts and slithering backwards and having no necks they slip out of hands and tubes quickly and easily if you are not paying close attention.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the pointers. I don't know why I didn't think of the tube technique with all the viperkeeper vids I watch on youtube. And your right they are great at slithering backwards. The one im giving shots to can slither backwards in my hands almost as well as foward.

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    1 Miniature Pinscher

Thanks

I'm not sure if it'd work with a FWC, but my vet showed me a nice trick for balls. When you grasp them behind the head, you can start to wrap them around the wrist of that hand (some will do it on their own). This'll give you a couple seconds and a good clear shot at the part of the body you need to be injecting into and can be done with one person.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Shadera; 05-23-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
    I'm not sure if it'd work with a FWC, but my vet showed me a nice trick for balls. When you grasp them behind the head, you can start to wrap them around the wrist of that hand (some will do it on their own). This'll give you a couple seconds and a good clear shot at the part of the body you need to be injecting into and can be done with one person.

Good luck!
    This will not work with FWCs. They have no neck. The head is not set off from the body at all. They can move backward as quickly as forward and there is nothing to hold on to. The harder you squeeze the more they wiggle. Add in the fangs and the possible bite from an irritated snake and this is something I would recommend against.

Great for snakes with necks, just not for these guys.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

I gave him his second shot, witch was the first shot i've given him, yesterday. A friend of mine who lives in my apartment complex helped me out. I cleaned my kitchen table with bleach water and rolled out some freezer paper to cover the table top. I had this idea because he isn't able to move very well on paper. He just kinda loses traction. I gently held down right behind his head while my friend held down the last third of hid body. Stuck the syringe into the most fleshy spot around where his shoulder would be if he had one and injected. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. He didn't freak out as bad at home as he did at the vet....so one down and eight to go...I like Ralph Davis's method of giving the shots every other day. But my vet said to do it everyday so thats what im gonna do.

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    1 Miniature Pinscher

Thanks
    Glad it wen't well! Shots are always a pain in the butt to give
    1.0.0 Blood Python, Chomper.
    0.1.0 Normal Ball Python, Petrie.
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon, Yoshi.
    1.0.0 Barred Tiger Salamander, Watson.
    3 female ferrets, Lola, Cha-Cha and Crazy girl.
    1 male ferret, Rico.
    1 Female Mastiff/Boxer, Bella.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AkHerps View Post
    Glad it wen't well! Shots are always a pain in the butt to give
    I know....I freakin hate it... Especially with this snake, because him and I have a very trusting relationship. I just hope giving him all theses shots doesn't change that.

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    1 Miniature Pinscher

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post

Good luck.
    I gave him his third shot today and it went ok. He was a little more squirmy today. I think he knows im gonna give him a shot every time I go into his cage now. The biggest concern I have is hitting his lung or, heaven forbid, his heart. Im giving the shots in the top third of his body but like I said im super scared that im hitting his lung. Today after his shot he was wheezing real bad for a few seconds right after and I though maybe I hit his lung. He stopped wheezing right away so im hoping it was just because he was excited. Is there a chance that I could be hitting his lung? Im trying to give the shot in the most muscular looking parts of his body and at a pretty sharp angle, but due to his squirming the needle ends up going in kinda deep.....Uhg, I hate having to do this.

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    1 Miniature Pinscher

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast