Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,197

2 members and 3,195 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Mean ball python.

Hi ! I recently got a ball python. Around 3 weeks ago, and he is about 1.5 years old. Sometimes, he is very mean. And other times, he does not strike. Two days ago, He was doing fine, and was crawling around. He was reaching for my bed, and hit his head. He got frightened, and started striking everywhere. Today, I was going to pick him up, he tried to bite a few times. I dont know what to do. This is my first BP, and he is eating very well. Within a few seconds of seeing the prey. (dead)

Thanks
    He might not have been socialized well with his last owners. Define mean? is it just striking or does he mostly do hissing? If hes hissing just hold him anyways. Ball pythons are super head shy. So that would explain why he freaked out a bit. Though thats a pretty big freak out lol. The time that there most likely to bite you is when your picking them up from the cage. Now it might leave a mark but it doesnt hurt very much. Also are his eyes a funny color? If its a creamy blueish color it could be retained eye caps, and that could cause him to freak out a bit more with his head. Just be patient with him. Handle him even when he is being a *****. And eventually he should calm down. My first ball python hissed at me every time i got him from his cage. Which scared me at first b/c he was my first snake. But i learned that he was all talk and know play so i held him anyways. and one day as if over night he just stopped hissing. After that he was pretty good about being held. So just keep trying to handle him even if he trys to bite you or hiss's and eventually he should get more use to handling him. Let me know it goes!
    1.1 Pastel
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Mojave
    0.1 Spider

Thanks

Re: Mean ball python.

the way i tame out "mean" snakes is i handle them on a regular time schedule that doesn't stress them out and i also stick them in a tub that is just the right size for them to be in and keep them tucked away and that helps them feel secure and better. just work with him and make sure when you handle him dont let any sudden movements happen and one day soon he may end up being the nicest snake in your group, good luck and happy herping oh and a photo of him would help also and how is your setup done?
    antreptiles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moravaguy View Post
    the way i tame out "mean" snakes is i handle them on a regular time schedule that doesn't stress them out and i also stick them in a tub that is just the right size for them to be in and keep them tucked away and that helps them feel secure and better. just work with him and make sure when you handle him dont let any sudden movements happen and one day soon he may end up being the nicest snake in your group, good luck and happy herping oh and a photo of him would help also and how is your setup done?
    What would you say your time schedule is? I handle my snakes a lot (except after feeding day) and that could help me with future "problem snakes"
    1.1 Pastel
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Mojave
    0.1 Spider

Thanks

i do every 2-3 days, and even if they are being bad just hold them because if they hiss or strike and they win they will just keep on doing it. and this works most of the time for me but i have had a few that just stay crazy, lol but just try and hopefully he will come around. what is your setup like right now?
    antreptiles

Thanks
    Did you give him 7-14 days of solitude when you first got him? Snakes need time to adjust to new surroundings; if he wasn't given his "lone" time when you first brought him home, he might still be stressed out from the move.

Again, 7-14 days of solitude--only cleaning and providing fresh water, NO TOUCHING. Give him at least a week of privacy and start the handling regime after that short period of time (it may seem like forever, but your snake will "appreciate it").

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Just cover him with a small hand towel to pick him up if his reactions make you nervous. He will grow out of it quickly with regular and gentle handling.

Thanks

As has been already stated, regular handling is pretty much the only way to get them to calm down in the long run unless there is some other issues with husbandry.

If your concern is being bitten, I would recommend a relatively thin glove. Their teeth are not that long so any thin glove will do. This allows you to pick up the snake with confidence (which the snake can sense I feel) and it will get the snake used to handling. Once you pick him up, slip the glove off.

BPnet Veteran EverEvolvingExotics's Avatar
    Thanks

My first Ghost ball python always tried to bite me at first. After 6 months of handling she is incredibly calm. No worries. Keep up with it. Its seems the more confidence you have going in to grab him or her the less you get bitten. It is usually a warning hiss bite, once they are out they are angels.

Enjoy and Good luck!

Thanks
    I don't know if this makes a difference but I make sure that every time I am going to pick up Monty I wash my hands. That way he gets used to a certain scent when I am going to pick him up. When it comes to feeding time, I don't wash my hands first so that he won't get confused.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast