Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,381

2 members and 3,379 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New pick-up

Thanks

Re: New pick-up

Quote Originally Posted by jbean7916 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I know that the enclosure we got from his previous owner isn't going to last long at all, but its what we have until we can get one built. Can anyone recommend a place to see plans for other custom enclosure that are suitable? I've been racking my brain trying to figure out all the logistics of something that will be what he deserves, trying to include things like a nice way to drain his pool, a way to get in and out to clean, a nice way to set up an area so he can been viewed but also so he can hide if he's not in the mood.

So rats every other day and supplement with other suitable foods. I can def do that, he seems to enjoy the f/t rats we've been giving him the past couple feedings. We tried some beef liver last night, I don't think he was a fan. He's getting to the point where he will walk right out of his enclosure and into the bathroom if the shower is on. He's a very smart creature that is for sure.

I'm trying to learn all that I can and as quickly as possible about them, the problem I am running into is that most experienced monitor owners are very rude. As if they believe they are the only ones capable of caring for a monitor appropriately. If they would be more helpful, and share their knowledge before telling someone that they are stupid for every buying a monitor, I think that the animals would benefit. If someone has successfully raised a healthy monitor, why are they so reluctant to be helpful in a positive way? They complain that no one takes care of them correctly but finding a caresheet with correct information is all but impossible.

Oh and Melody, his tongue is most surely very purple black. My boyfriend got a great shot of his tongue flickering yesterday, I'll see if I can get it posted soon.
    Im sorry if we seem rude, but you have to understand that we see lots of monitors die from really easily preventable stuff (like screen tops). But as far as enclosures go, here is one I built for my water monitor a couple of years ago. My black throat inherrited it so hes in some pics as well. Its about what you'll need for a while. Its 4ft X 4ft x 2ft

Yes its a pain but can be done for under $100. Mine have filtered ponds and again its not that hard. Im willing to help if you need it.

Thanks
    Interesting enclosure, SwampDonkey. Where is the substrate for burrowing? I'm also willing to bet that there is not a basking spot of 140F+ in there; otherwise your plant would be shrivelled under your heat source.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mumps For This Useful Post:

jbean7916 (05-25-2011)

Thanks
    Do you have any pictures of your current water monitor enclosure swampdonkey? A 4x4x2 would have even less space than what Superman is in now. I don't have a filtered pond for him but he seems to have just as deep of dirt as yours and he gets daily baths. His humidity stays perfect with just his large water bowl and his basking temps are 130-135.

As far as the rude thing, there are alot more productive ways of being informative.

sent from my EVO
    1.0 Spider "Charlie"
    1.1 Normal "Precious" "Chumley"
    0.1 Pastel "Sweet Dee"
    1.1 Mojave "Stewie" "Little Bit"
    0.1 Lesser "Sally"
    1.0 Pied "Jack"
    1.0 Nile Monitor "Superman"
    0.1 Bearded Dragons "Snookie"
    0.0.1 Sulcuta Tortoise "Kenny Powers"
    1.0 Chocolate lab "Dante"
    1.0 Now snake obsessed boyfriend

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mumps View Post
    Interesting enclosure, SwampDonkey. Where is the substrate for burrowing? I'm also willing to bet that there is not a basking spot of 140F+ in there; otherwise your plant would be shrivelled under your heat source.

Chris
    No, there is no deep substrate for burrowing in this enclosure. Why would I build something that major when he'll be in here for 3 months tops? Actually, I dont know of ANY water monitor enclosures that have soil deep enough for the animal to make a burrow in. It had about 2" of soil but plenty of hiding spots. It was a step up from his 55gal with custom wooden top. This enclosure is suitable for almost any young monitor alive and thriving. Period. Oh and about that basking spot, one is 115 the other is 135 (you DONT need 140+ for babies). And about that plant... I wasnt under the basking lights. I did remove it when the black throat started tearing it up.

A shot of the different basking lights:

The water monitor was given to a local college prof before we moved. He grew from around 12" to over 30 in 5 months. Pretty good for a Bivittatus.

The black throat now enjoys a 10ft by 4ft by 5 ft enclosure with deep diggable soil. And went from this:

To this, in 10 months. He's older and larger now:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SwampDonkey For This Useful Post:

Redneck_Crow (05-27-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbean7916 View Post
    Do you have any pictures of your current water monitor enclosure swampdonkey? A 4x4x2 would have even less space than what Superman is in now. I don't have a filtered pond for him but he seems to have just as deep of dirt as yours and he gets daily baths. His humidity stays perfect with just his large water bowl and his basking temps are 130-135.

As far as the rude thing, there are alot more productive ways of being informative.

sent from my EVO
    Sure, though we gave the water monitor away before moving. Its the black throats current enclosure. Its 10X4X5 and is going to be expanded next month. It would be great for a nile and may last yours (since hes so much older) quite a while. It now has a 40 gal filtered/aerated pond as well. I would highly suggest you put an air stone in his water bowl. Its been changed and tweaked and I need to get some new pics but here it is.

Here's a look at the pond...and him munching a crawfish.

Thanks
    My nile was about the size of yours. I fed him f/t mice, rats, chicks, and whole small fish. I rarely gave him eggs because he tended to get fat with his huge appetite and well honed begging skills. He was really mellow for a nile and only hissed a little bit on general principles. (after he bit me about 1000 times while growing up and got tired of chewing on me)

He loved to eat so on the days that he didn't get one of the above, I tossed in a few crickets. He got exercise and I got entertained by watching a big bad nile chasing down crickets.

I don't know if crickets are particularly good or bad for them, but I figured that 5 or 6 of them wasn't going to hurt anything. And it is hilarious watching a great big lizard bounce around a cage catching them.
    "Why I Have Grey Hair," the story of my life:

The cast: 0.1 het pied, Minnie, "Heartless." 0.1 pied, Dorothy, "The Girl Next Door." 0.1 mojave, Lily, "Stuck Up Little Princess." 0.1 pastel yb, Marilyn, "The Bombshell." 0.1 normal, Miss Maenad, "Femme Fatale." 1.0 dinker, Darth Jackass, "Scum of the Earth." 1.0 piebald, Mickey, "A Really Nice Guy." 1.0 jigsaw, Kaa, "The Young Dude." 0.1 cinnamon, Hera, "If Looks Could Kill" 0.1 pastel, Luna, "If It Moves, Eat It"

Recently joined by Badger and Honey, 1.1 spotnoses.

...and an ever-changing host of supporting actors and actresses: rat and ASF.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck_Crow View Post
    My nile was about the size of yours. I fed him f/t mice, rats, chicks, and whole small fish. I rarely gave him eggs because he tended to get fat with his huge appetite and well honed begging skills. He was really mellow for a nile and only hissed a little bit on general principles. (after he bit me about 1000 times while growing up and got tired of chewing on me)

He loved to eat so on the days that he didn't get one of the above, I tossed in a few crickets. He got exercise and I got entertained by watching a big bad nile chasing down crickets.

I don't know if crickets are particularly good or bad for them, but I figured that 5 or 6 of them wasn't going to hurt anything. And it is hilarious watching a great big lizard bounce around a cage catching them.
    Oh the crix are a great idea. Totally healthy and excersize + mental stimulation is always good. I havent done it yet but I may hide some dead mice in the yard and let my black throat sniff em out. I have a pretty decent harness for him but having him outside always makes me nervous.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkey View Post
    Im sorry if we seem rude, but you have to understand that we see lots of monitors die from really easily preventable stuff (like screen tops). But as far as enclosures go, here is one I built for my water monitor a couple of years ago. My black throat inherrited it so hes in some pics as well. Its about what you'll need for a while. Its 4ft X 4ft x 2ft

Yes its a pain but can be done for under $100. Mine have filtered ponds and again its not that hard. Im willing to help if you need it.
    On the contrary of this belief, it is not I'm possible to house a reptile/ monitor in a glass cage. I have been housing a Colombian Red Tail Boa in Glass, Screen Top cages ever since I have had her which is going on for about a year now. Now it does require a bit more attention but it is very much possible. I have hygrometers in each cage I have for my reptiles and the humidity levels are monitored closely by me on a daily basis. I also have been housing my Borneo Blood Python in a Glass cage for the last 4 months. All of my snakes have always had perfect sheds and have never had any health problems and though I have never owned a Monitor before I have see many in Glass, screen top cages. So if you are looking for a cage to keep your reptile in a Glass top is very much a possibility. If it wasn't and could result in death, Company's like Zilla would not manufacture them.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BloodPython699 View Post
    On the contrary of this belief, it is not I'm possible to house a reptile/ monitor in a glass cage. I have been housing a Colombian Red Tail Boa in Glass, Screen Top cages ever since I have had her which is going on for about a year now. Now it does require a bit more attention but it is very much possible. I have hygrometers in each cage I have for my reptiles and the humidity levels are monitored closely by me on a daily basis. I also have been housing my Borneo Blood Python in a Glass cage for the last 4 months. All of my snakes have always had perfect sheds and have never had any health problems and though I have never owned a Monitor before I have see many in Glass, screen top cages. So if you are looking for a cage to keep your reptile in a Glass top is very much a possibility. If it wasn't and could result in death, Company's like Zilla would not manufacture them.
    Works with snakes. Doesn't work for monitors.

You stated you have never owned a monitor before. Many of us have and have seen first hand the problems it causes. Varanids are subjected to a high mortality rate because people don't know how to properly keep them, or people are given rotten advice on how to feed and house them.

The last thing this hobby needs is more people being encouraged to house varanids in glass cages with screen tops.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

mumps (06-23-2011),slayer (06-23-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BloodPython699 View Post
    Wow, almost a year?? Your experience and knowledge base must be vast...

All kidding aside, don't talk about anything that you have absolutely no knowledge of. Skiploder was more polite, but I'm getting tired of some of the crap I see posted everywhere.

Zilla is out to make money. Period.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mumps For This Useful Post:

slayer (06-23-2011)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast