Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,199

1 members and 3,198 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New pick-up

Thanks

New pick-up

So we went to the reptile show sunday with the intention of ONLY getting feeders for the snakes and the beardie but I fell in love!!

The first table there was for a local shop that we've been to a couple times and they had (among other things) the most beautiful nile monitor ever.

Superman is 4 years old, has had the same owner (an employee of the shop) since he was a hatching and has been used in educational shows for the past 2 years. I was so surprised at how well he was handling all the commotion and people petting him.

Zack, his owner, was going back to school and his off campus house would not allow Superman to come so he was looking for a new home for him.

Since we had budgeted for our black throat, who didn't survive, I was seriously contemplating taking him home. I stood and talked to zack at length about his daily routine, his diet, his habitat and his past experiences. I was totally amazed at the love zack had for him and I could truly see it was going to be hard for him to let him go.

After much discussion with my boyfriend we decided to buy superman. He's been a total doll baby since we brought him home (well for me at least, he postures at my bf and hisses quite a bit) he enjoys getting in the shower in the evenings and likes to crawl on me quite a bit.

We're now looking at plans for his permanent enclosure.

I'd add photos but it looks like we can't add from tapatalk anymore?

sent from my EVO
    1.0 Spider "Charlie"
    1.1 Normal "Precious" "Chumley"
    0.1 Pastel "Sweet Dee"
    1.1 Mojave "Stewie" "Little Bit"
    0.1 Lesser "Sally"
    1.0 Pied "Jack"
    1.0 Nile Monitor "Superman"
    0.1 Bearded Dragons "Snookie"
    0.0.1 Sulcuta Tortoise "Kenny Powers"
    1.0 Chocolate lab "Dante"
    1.0 Now snake obsessed boyfriend

Thanks

Re: New pick-up

Congratulations on the new addition!

I'd love to see photos! How big is your new Nile at four years old? Must be pretty massive. Could you email/message me the photos? I'll post them for you if you want. I'd really love to see him.

I recently rescued a small Nile Monitor. He/she is evil, unfriendly and favors human flesh as it's staple.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts
    A nice Nile!! That's awesome!!! Congrats on your new addition and I look forward to checking out the pics if you can upload them too
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks
    What a pretty face!!!

Hanging out in his temporary, temporary home. (We're getting his enclosure from his previous owner tonight and then building him one)

Playing hide and seek while he was out getting some exercise

He was hanging out on my shoulder and decided to move to my back, wouldn't let anyone near me to get him off without hissing so I just laid down until he decided he wanted to move!!!

1.0 Spider "Charlie"
    0.1 Pastel "Sweet Dee"
    0.1 Lesser "Sally"
    1.0 Pied "Jack"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jbean7916 For This Useful Post:

Michelle.C (05-18-2011)

Thanks
    awsome, I have friends with Niles and its usually hit or miss on them as far as temperament. Even docile by their standards is only handle when they let you. Infact their kinda bipolar as far as monitor species go. example I have a buddy that has full grown male adult that actually crawls up his leg to be picked up constantly but when his having one of those days dont even try getting near him. Once you understand that large monitors demand respect and work with you on their own free will when they learn to tolerate your company then it becomes a great relationship. Your nile looks in great shape and condition, try not to overfeed him please, chubby monitors are slow and unhealthy, even if he seems like he could keep eating. No matter how cute he looks at you, dont do it, keep him fed in moderation.

Thanks
    As far as feeding goes, he was being fed boiled eggs, ground turkey and chicken with bone-in in small portions daily. Everything I've seen says that whole pery items like fish and f/t rats are best. What would you recommend for frequency and portion sizes to keep him at a healthy weight?

sent from my EVO
    1.0 Spider "Charlie"
    0.1 Pastel "Sweet Dee"
    0.1 Lesser "Sally"
    1.0 Pied "Jack"

Thanks
    Well I saw that typical nile attitude tonight. Superman does NOT like to be woken up from his beauty sleep!

I got home later than usual tonight and he was a hissy, whippy little rascal when I went to change his water. He seemed more scared than anything so I just pulled up a chair and sat next to him until he calmed down a little. He still wasn't a fan of me trying to reach into his home so I'll just wait until tomorrow morning to change it.

sent from my EVO
    1.0 Spider "Charlie"
    0.1 Pastel "Sweet Dee"
    0.1 Lesser "Sally"
    1.0 Pied "Jack"

Thanks
    As far as food goes it depends on his activity level, does he roam outside his cage, how large is his cage to move around, does he climb, how hot his temperature or basking spot. All those things make his metabolism spike and comsume more food with more frequency. As far as eggs go, with a monitor that size Id keep it to only 1-2 whole eggs scrambled or boiled per week or even every other week so as not to give him too much fat. Fish as long as its whole prey is good but keep the fish to rat or mice ratio 1 to 5.

My buddy does this thing which is pretty cool im going to start doing myself pretty soon, where he boils 3 eggs gets 1lb of ground turkey 1lb of chicken liver and heart a can of sardines in water, or half lb of fresh sardines which ever is available, small amount of crushed chicken bone, grinds it alltogether with a sprinkle of vitamins and stuffes it inside sausage casings he gets at the market. and then put them in the refrigerator it last for about 2 weeks or so depending on the size of the monitor. if you have a small monitor you buy smaller sausage casings if you have a large monitor you buy larger casings to hold more. Its pretty neat its a ready to go meal, all he does is keep a jar with fresh sardine water leftover he dips the stuffed sausage mix casing in it for scent and gives it to the monitor.

One thing I do for my salvator at night, My cage is outside so as not to startle him and get him angry is Ive got him used to me clapping when I enter the room when he was little inside my house and still do it outside, that way he does feel conered and knows its me. so when your gonna change his water tap his cage or clap your hands it has to be the same sound every time. theyve got great memorys. always slow movements at first, when he sees you and sit down next to him until he feels like theres no harm. in time it gets easier. when you sit down next to him for him to calm down remember the general rule of double the size of his tail. Its a built in there mind that if they cant reach you with a tail whip their still in their safe monitor distance bubble. this will keep him from stressing out.

Thanks

Re: New pick-up

Absolutely stunning! In my opinion, they really are the most attractive Monitor. It's a pity that they can be so temperamental and they get so large.

Feeding frequency depends on the animal and their age. At four years old, a few times a week is more than adequate. Younger animals often require daily feedings, but he looks like a healthy weight so you should just be maintaining that. Make sure he has proper basking temperatures to properly digest and give him exercise if you guys don't have a large enough cage yet.

Whole prey items are the way to go with Niles. Whole chicks, rodents, etc. should be his staple. Keep in mind that whole chicks are fine, but it makes for very stinky defecation.

FYI, in case you didn't know, these guys are VERY fast. Don't be deceived by his size. Also, what do you have his current basking temperatures at?

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies! He is allowed roaming time outside of his cage. His current cage is 6x4x4, I know its on the small side, but that is what his previous owner had him in. his temps are 75-77 on the cool side, 110 hot with 130-135 basking.

We're drawing up his forever home plans and I was wondering about height. We have 10ft ceilings in that room, if we added ramps and levels to the enclosure to give him access to the additional floor space how wide should we build the cage? I was thinking the end would be 12x6x10 with 4 levels. Would this be enough space?

sent from my EVO
    1.0 Spider "Charlie"
    0.1 Pastel "Sweet Dee"
    0.1 Lesser "Sally"
    1.0 Pied "Jack"