Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,283

2 members and 3,281 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

HELP! What happened???

We have 3 ball pythons: two are 2 years old and one is 4 years old. We typically feed them once every four weeks. This past Sunday they were fed on schedule. On Monday, we found one two year old and the four year old dead in the aquarium along with one half digested mouse. When we picked the two dead ones up to clean out the aquarium, fluid poured out of the pythons mouths and nostrils. Also, we noticed that their undersides were pigmented a dark color that was never there before, that resembled a bursting of internal organs from the inside. The question we have is how could this have happened to two out of three ball pythons (who are all housed in the same aquarium)????? And also, how can we prevent the same unsavory outcome for the only surviving python????

Extremly confused and upset

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Take the last one to the vet! Save the bodies for a necropsy. If it was a disease, the last one may already be sick. This is why housing them in the same container is not recommended, it's really hard to tell who was acting sick/not pooping as well as worrying about sharing diseases.

It really sounds like they were sick and the last needs to see a vet fast!
    1.0 Het Piebald (Lycaeus)
    1.0 Spider (V "Fawkes")
    0.1 Piebald (Fia)
    0.2 Pastel (Chalcomede & Daeneyrs "Dany")
    0.1 orangebelly (Secha "Veruca Salt")

R.I.P my babies
    Texas luecistic ratsnake (Ripley) 0.1
    Ball Python (Ariadne) 0.1
    Ball Python (Montreal) 1.0

Thanks

Re: HELP! What happened???

I agree with the previous post. Housing multiples in one tank is a sure fire way for something to go wrong for all that is involved. Be it mites or illness and disease. Please take the last one to the vet! It could be a matter of life and death for that little guy.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

First off, let me say that I'm VERY sorry for your loss.

I would suggest reading our Care Sheet for help in preventing future unexpected losses.

When an animal (or a person) dies and lays in one position for awhile, the blood will pool at the lowest point of the body. That is probably why the bellies looked so dark and red. I don't know about the fluids, but am hardly an expert on such things.

I fully agree with the others who suggest taking your remaining snake to the vet. I'd also get her into a new enclosure with all new bedding and "furniture", making sure everything is clean and sanitized. And once again, refer to our caresheet to be sure her environment is optimal for prolonged good health.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    I agree, take surviver to a vet. I would suggest that you read the caresheet and double check your husbandry. A few things in your post make me concerned that you may have overlooked a couple things, feeding every 4 weeks for 1. As for the fluid I would almost think that it could have been a serious RI that your dealing with.
    Chris

1.0 Bumblebee, 0.3 normal, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 lesser, 0.1 Black pastel, 0.2 feeder chihuahuas, 2.6 AFS,

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Read up on proper care for the species, and proper feeding schedule. Every 4 weeks is along time for snakes to not be offered food when they are eating. This is how they get internal problems from lack of nutrients.

Its one thing for THEM to stop eating, its another for you to limit their food intake.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

A.P.B.T. (05-17-2011)

Thanks

I'm sorry

Thanks
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

I also agree with Rich on the feeding schedule. It should be a shorter span between feed. I feed mine weekly. Also make sure that they have fresh water. Dehydration can have ample effects on your BP.
    Bp's
    2.0 normal; 1.1 pastel; 0.1 pinstripe

T's
    0.5 Arizona Blonde; 1.1 A. Metallica; 0.1.1 A. Versicolor; 1.0 Mexican Fireleg; 0.1 B. Smithi; 1.1 B. Vagans; 0.1.1 GBB; 0.0.1 Rose-hair; 0.0.1 A. Brock; 0.2 G. Pulchripes; 0.1.1 P. Irminia; 0.0.3 P. Metallica; 0.0.1 OBT; 0.1 C. Fasciatum; 0.0.2 E. Murinus; 0.1 H. Gigas; 0.0.5 LP; 0.0.2 P. Regalis

Other: 1.0.2 chuckwala; 0.0.1 toad; 0.1 beta fish; 0.1 dog; 0.1 cat; 1.0 king snake
    Boarding: 0.1 Bearded Dragon