Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,294

3 members and 3,291 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Unhappy I know my problem is common, but I really want to rant...

I feel like my Pastel YB loves to be a pain. I'm about 50/50 on feeding with her. She refused to first two times I feed, ate really well the past 3 weeks and refused again tonight. The worst part is she acts super interested in it for a few minutes and then decides she doesn't want it.

As the title says, I know it's common. She's the only problem feeder I have so far and it's just annoying.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    are you sure your food item is hot enough? It sounds like she might be smelling food but not able to locate it.

Thanks

Re: I know my problem is common, but I really want to rant...

I know how you feel. My het pied female is exactly the same way. I got her feeding in the fall, and then she went on a winter fast, and has only eaten twice since coming out of it. The things we go through with them. It's feeding night here as well, so we'll see what happens.

Umm, I don't know if this will help, but my female will only take the rat if it's blow dried and really hot. It may help with yours?

Good luck with her. It's always the females

Thanks
    yea i know its aggravating. especially when everything is right and they still don't want it. they just like to stare at it for 5 minutes and then just go away from it. I only have one that is picky but it is defiantly a pain.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlisleishere View Post
    I know how you feel. My het pied female is exactly the same way. I got her feeding in the fall, and then she went on a winter fast, and has only eaten twice since coming out of it. The things we go through with them. It's feeding night here as well, so we'll see what happens.

Umm, I don't know if this will help, but my female will only take the rat if it's blow dried and really hot. It may help with yours?

Good luck with her. It's always the females
    Blow dried is that only way she will take them. That was how I got her to eat the first time. It didn't seem to work tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbird View Post
    are you sure your food item is hot enough? It sounds like she might be smelling food but not able to locate it.
    I'm pretty sure it was warm enough. I thaw mine in the fridge over night, then 1-2 hours before I feed I let them sit out to get to room temp, then they go into hot water 20 minutes before I feed and I blow dry them before I offer. I'm pretty sure she can sense where it is too because she comes up to it and licks it, that's when she decides she doesn't want it.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    Snakes
    Lizards
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    I feel you. Although neither are ball pythons, we do have two problem feeders in our collection. It's particularly annoying since they are both smaller snakes and mouse eaters, as if any of the larger snakes skip a meal I can just chuck their rat feeder to my dumpster carpet python who never refuses and would happily eat his weight in rats, given the opportunity.

I get particularly frustrated with the female hognose, as I'd love for her to eat more/grow bigger/grow faster for both breeding and cosmetic purposes. Luckily she is up to size, but I still have dreams of a 1000g+ hognose female in the future, which probably won't happen with a girl who insists on eating small meals, infrequently.
    Last edited by mainbutter; 05-15-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks
    Have you tried leaving it in with her? What about heating up the head of the prey really well?(unless you feed live haha)

Mine was a great feeder and over the last couple months he has grown pickier. He does the same thing, acts super interested and then goes away. I just leave it in for a couple hours partially in his hide and usually he will take it that way.
    1.0.0 Blood Python, Chomper.
    0.1.0 Normal Ball Python, Petrie.
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon, Yoshi.
    1.0.0 Barred Tiger Salamander, Watson.
    3 female ferrets, Lola, Cha-Cha and Crazy girl.
    1 male ferret, Rico.
    1 Female Mastiff/Boxer, Bella.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AkHerps View Post
    Have you tried leaving it in with her? What about heating up the head of the prey really well?(unless you feed live haha)

Mine was a great feeder and over the last couple months he has grown pickier. He does the same thing, acts super interested and then goes away. I just leave it in for a couple hours partially in his hide and usually he will take it that way.
    She won't touch it if I leave it in over night, I tried that the first two times. It's kind of funny because I have on BP that will not touch it unless I leave it in over night, but she almost always eats it, so it doesn't bother me.

As for heating up the head, I use a blow dryer on high to give them a little extra heat before I offer.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    Snakes
    Lizards
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    Hahah welcome to the club I've been struggling with that for 4.5 months now..

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

My male normal finally decided to eat last night after a 43 day fast. He is always afraid of the live prey so I had to give him a live rat pup. Yes, I know it is to small, but I am just glad that he ate something. He wants nothing to do with f/t prey at all, been there, tried it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast