Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,450

2 members and 3,448 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Serious Stuck Shed

So.. 3/4 tree boas shed, and ended up with a serious stuck shed. And by serious I mean, the 3 animals combined have spent about 9 hours in a sauna and the shed is STILL not coming off.

I've tried snake in tupperware with paper towel
    I've tried snake in rack slot with water and wood

And its not working. I've never had animals with sheds this bad. These guys love to soak while they're blue and thats what makes this happen but this is the first time its been this bad. I just can't get the sheds off two of the animals. One of them I've gotten most of hers off, she's got a few stuck pieces but its nothing terrible, the other two, EVERYTHING from the neck down is stuck.

Help, I need some other options. These guys are going out on a trade next week and the constant saunas are starting to stress them out.

BPnet Veteran Highline Reptiles South's Avatar
    Thanks
    have you tried shed-ease? can get it at any petsmart/petco

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Serious Stuck Shed

Hi,

Have you tried physically removing it with your fingers or is this a really bad idea with the tree boas ( never kept them so have no clue )?

Would the pillowcase trick help in terms of stressing them any less? And maybe if you put them all in it they might rub against each other and help that way?

Do they need waterbowls big enough to soak in? ( not going to help your immedicate situation - I just wondered if it would help longer term ).

Wish I knew more about them to suggest anything else.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Re: Serious Stuck Shed

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

Have you tried physically removing it with your fingers or is this a really bad idea with the tree boas ( never kept them so have no clue )?

Would the pillowcase trick help in terms of stressing them any less? And maybe if you put them all in it they might rub against each other and help that way?

Do they need waterbowls big enough to soak in? ( not going to help your immedicate situation - I just wondered if it would help longer term ).

Wish I knew more about them to suggest anything else.

dr del
    Yeah, I tried just removing it by hand but I can tell it makes them very uncomfortable (I'm actually surprised I wasn't bit at all. They do seem to understand that I help make the bad feelings go away instead of causing them though). They always have a BIG water bowl. The size I give my adult BPs to drink out of, they can fit in and soak.

After the direct water sauna, two of them seem to have had full body sheds. Theres one straggler but I'll deal with that when I get home today. I'll try a pillowcase or the towel method. They are BIG soakers. I usually offer more than one water bowl. I put another in there last night over the heat tape and misted them heavily and for two it seemed to work, which is good.

Thanks
    Cinderbird,
    I would just take a 4hrs and fill a 5 gal bucket up with luke warm water and pit in a 4hr movie. You will have to hold the snake and keep the portion of the snake with shedding on it under water, not the head off course. With a damp towel you just have to work it loose down the whole snake it takes time. That way you will know nothing was misted. Watch the paper towels they can cause suffocation. I'm not sure what kind of boas you have. I hope this helps i have been working with emerald tree boas since 1986 and that is what i used to do when i had problems in the past.
    Ed M
    www.EmeraldTreeBoa.com