Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,203

1 members and 1,202 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

General Questions for NEW BP owners!

I am new to the BP world, i have been around reptiles my entire life but never really focused on one goup of them before. Thought I would give my self a challenge and go with something I no about but not into detail. Now i am gonna post questions that a generally new bp owner would have and hope that you guys respond with answer starting off with number 1

How often should I feed my bp?
    How large of prey should I introduce to my bp?
    How often do bp's shed there skin?
    How hot should the cold side be and how hot should the hot side be?
    What should my humidity be at?
    What size cage should I get for my new bp?
    Are bp's friendly animals?
    Should I clean there water dish out every day?
    Where should I get a bp at?
    Should I feed live, thawed or prekilled?
    How often should or could I see waste in my bp's tank?
    Should the tank be filled with tropical atmosphere or desert?
    How often can i handle my bp and how long?
    What if she/he has not eaten for two to three months?
    Should I use a vitamin spray on my bp?

If you guys have any other questions please add, i want this thread to be for new bp owners so they can come in and get one thread and get an idea of what to expect, bp's are very very loving and fun animals, we all love our bp's and if we spread that love for them then they have a better chance of having a better life. ( not just bp's, boas and all other reptiles we love these animals and there is a bill trying to be passed s: 373 that will banish this from happening) thanks and have fun owning one of the coolest animals in the world!!

Thanks

Re: General Questions for NEW BP owners!

Should feed your bp once per week, or every other week.
    Should always feed your bp with food that equals the size of his or hers greatest girth
    pending on age of the snake they can shed every two months
    the cold side should never get below 75 the hot side should stay between 82-92
    The humidity should stay around 50-55
    Bp's like to feel enclosed ( is what i have read so correct me if i am wrong) so nothing to huge.
    Bp's are very friendly as long as you handle them with repsect and at the proper time not handling them after they have eating for bout two days, and do not handle while they are shedding.
    Yes cleaning there water daily is very good idea jjust to keep the chance of any bacteria to form.
    I would recomend gettin your bp from either a breeder or a good reliable source. Not nowing how he/she was or has been handled can effect its attitude towards human contact. so be carefull in this regard. I got my first one at petco, the people that work there are kinda dumb so i felt like i had to save her.
    There is always controversy in this question realy the best way is to feed either prekilled or thawed, just cause then you dont have to worry bout struggle between the two and something happening to your snake in the process of feeding.
    I have noticed that they go bout every week or every other week, depends too on how often you are feeding your bp.
    Yes tropical, cause the sand would be rough on there bely and create scale rot. the tropical is best cause that is where they come from tropical atmosphere.
    I wouldnt recomend holding him/her all day but you can habdle for periods of like 15 to 30 min, i dont recomend doing any more just cause then they start to loose there body warmth and the humidity changes drastically when removing them from there cage so.
    bp's doing this is very normal they go through a fasting stage and you will see this in your bp's lifetime most likely.
    I use vita spray just to make sure that my bp is healthy give them the other nutrients that they need

Registered User Keyboard Warrior's Avatar
    Thanks

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keyboard Warrior For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (05-13-2011),dragonboy4578 (05-13-2011)

Thanks

I think I like this thread! This is fun.

(Bear with me, I too am new to bp's, please correct me if I'm wrong!)

every 5-10 days, depending on age.
    Measure the largest part of the snake against the largest part of the rodent.
    when they're young, every 3-4 weeks. An adult bp generally sheds only a few times a year.
    hot side- 85-90 cold side- 75-82
    50-70, slightly higher when in shed.
    a hatchling can do well in 10 gallons (of tank) or smaller. An adult male can generally live comfortably his entire life in a 20 gal. An adult female would likely need about 30. BP's are generally terrestrial, so floor space is more important than height. Similarly sized tubs are also recommended, as they generally hold heat and humidity better.
    if handled often, yes! Of course, there are exceptions, but in general, bp's are very curious, docile creatures.
    That would be wise. I generally do it every other day, but more can never hurt.
    Stay clear of chain stores, as their stock is dubious as to it's origins. (not to mention pricey!) I bought mine at a knowledgeable local petstore, but breeders or reptile expos are good places to start, too.
    This is a personal choice, that sometimes just depends on the snake. I feed prekilled or live. People generally agree that f/t is best, though.
    depends on the snake, and feeding schedule.
    definitely not desert! not exactly tropical, either, but that would definitely be preferable.
    As long as he's not in shed or recently (last 2 days) eaten, I generally hold mine for a total of an hour a day. But only if it's not too cold, or he's not feeling 100%. I don't do this necessarily every day, though.
    as long as drastic weight loss isn't being observed, this is perfectly normal. Keep offering food on a weekly basis, and generally they'll come back around.
    bp's get all their necessary nutrients from their prey. However, I'm sure it couldn't hurt. (most likely unnecessary, though..)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    These very questions are of course why sites like this have caresheets to reference people to.

Of course, that doesn't mean that every single one doesn't get asked a dozen times a day anyways!

The answers above are fairly accurate.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angllady2 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-14-2011),iCandiBallPythons (05-13-2011)

Thanks

this thread was made in mind of the new owners that would like to ask questions in a thread that allows it. Questions will not detract from the first statement, and it is ment for education purposes! not to be harrassed but to have fun while taking care of these lovely creatures