Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,388

1 members and 3,387 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Possibly Interested In Adopting A Gecko

Well, you see, what happened was my father had a guest over who was a dietitian, or something like that, because he has diabetes. He knows her because she has a Pit bull that really likes my dad and sees him everyday when he delivers newspapers. So, anyways, I have my Jasper out, and I introduce it to her. She tells us she has a Gecko named Fluffy that needs a home. It is five years old already.

The major problem right this second is that I don't even know what kind of Gecko it is. She showed me a picture of it on her phone. I really didn't get a great look, but it looked dull-color wise, maybe brown or dark green. I think it had a solid overall coloring. All she had to tell me was that it was a tropical Gecko, not a desert Gecko. So, of course, all of us in the family including me loving animals, I'm interested in adopting it. But, because I don't even know what it is, I don't know if it's life span is short, since it has already been alive for five years. The gecko escaped and lived inside her home for three months, and they found it alive. O_o

Could you kind people please help me out? Perhaps try to narrow down some choices? I'll try and ask more about the Gecko, and try to get a picture of it for reference. She thinks the Gecko is a she, so she needs a home. Fluffy was a rescue, and now she needs a new owner. My family adopts cats and dogs, so, hey, why not Geckos too?

Thanks

Re: Possibly Interested In Adopting A Gecko

Quote Originally Posted by ReclusiveDemon View Post
    Well, you see, what happened was my father had a guest over who was a dietitian, or something like that, because he has diabetes. He knows her because she has a Pit bull that really likes my dad and sees him everyday when he delivers newspapers. So, anyways, I have my Jasper out, and I introduce it to her. She tells us she has a Gecko named Fluffy that needs a home. It is five years old already.

The major problem right this second is that I don't even know what kind of Gecko it is. She showed me a picture of it on her phone. I really didn't get a great look, but it looked dull-color wise, maybe brown or dark green. I think it had a solid overall coloring. All she had to tell me was that it was a tropical Gecko, not a desert Gecko. So, of course, all of us in the family including me loving animals, I'm interested in adopting it. But, because I don't even know what it is, I don't know if it's life span is short, since it has already been alive for five years. The gecko escaped and lived inside her home for three months, and they found it alive. O_o

Could you kind people please help me out? Perhaps try to narrow down some choices? I'll try and ask more about the Gecko, and try to get a picture of it for reference. She thinks the Gecko is a she, so she needs a home. Fluffy was a rescue, and now she needs a new owner. My family adopts cats and dogs, so, hey, why not Geckos too?
    It's hard to say what it might be without pictures, but a lot of the common geckos in the pet trade have lifespans of 10+ years in captivity.
    1.1 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Corn snakes, 0.0.1 Garter snake, 1.1.2 Crested geckos, 0.2 Mourning Geckos, 0.2 Leopard geckos, 0.1 Indonesian blue tongue skink

Thanks
    Well, the person that has it right now has had it for five years. So, it's at least five years, because I don't know if she knows how old it was when she got it. All I can say is that it's green, and it's a tropical lizard. I'm going to try to narrow it down with just that criteria for now. Thanks for responding, even though I don't really have much information to use to identify Fluffy. If possible, could you try and just make some guesses? I remember what it looked like, so if I see some pictures of some possible candidate Geckos, maybe I can find some similarities and learn Fluffy's identity.

Thanks

The first thought that comes to mind when you say it's green is some type of day gecko...
    1.1 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Corn snakes, 0.0.1 Garter snake, 1.1.2 Crested geckos, 0.2 Mourning Geckos, 0.2 Leopard geckos, 0.1 Indonesian blue tongue skink

Thanks
    Do they need alot of work compared to say, a Corn Snake? Because if they're high maintenance, I don't think I should adopt it, if it is something like a Giant Day Gecko.

Thanks

Well, here's some pics. Somebody please help me find out what kind of Reptile this girl is. Thank you.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1305492575

Thanks

Looks like a Gekko ulikovskii (Golden Gecko) to me.

Thanks

Okay, thank you for the input. I've asked several people for their input, and it seems unanimous. So, the verdict is that she's a Golden Gecko. =D I'm glad I'll be caring for her. She's over seven years old already, so I won't be able to enjoy keeping her for very long, but I'll make the most out of it. I'll be getting experience with Geckos, and hopefully give Fluffy a loving home until her time comes.

Well, anyways, thanks again. =D

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ReclusiveDemon View Post
    Okay, thank you for the input. I've asked several people for their input, and it seems unanimous. So, the verdict is that she's a Golden Gecko. =D I'm glad I'll be caring for her. She's over seven years old already, so I won't be able to enjoy keeping her for very long, but I'll make the most out of it. I'll be getting experience with Geckos, and hopefully give Fluffy a loving home until her time comes.

Well, anyways, thanks again. =D
    She could live for another 3-7 years, so you'll have a bit with her. Some species live 7-10, some live 10-15 and some live 15-20.
    Last edited by cinderbird; 05-15-2011 at 09:45 PM.