Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,412

3 members and 3,409 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Taking up all of my time

Okay, maybe not all of it, because we are still breeding snakes and getting eggs, but it sure has taken up all of my free time that I would normally use to pst snake pics and post on the forum in general. Sorry for that, and I hope I can get more active on the forums again soon. I guess I better get to the point, because by now, you are trying to figure out why I am babbling in the tortoise forum.

I got my two Aldabra torts about a year ago, and have fallen in love with these guys. I built them a portable pen that I could use for Spring, Summer and Fall last year, but had no intentions on them using it for more than a year. They have still been having to get in it once in a while during construction bits of their new pen, but we are finally to a point in the new pen that I think they will be finally in it to stay (barring the ocasionally cold snap like right now, since their house with heat is not complete yet). So, without further ado, here is a picture of my new tortoise pen that I have been working on since mid January.

Now for those that got to look at the pic and still want to know more, here is some info on what is going on in there. The pen is about 16' x 16'. The cinder block wall is approximately 2' tall with 2' of chainlink on top of that. We also built them about a 2' x 4' house off of the back wall, which will have walls and a roof pretty soon. The walls will be the same height as the fence, and will give me sufficient room to hang the heat lamps in it for the winter (we still have to run the electricity to the pen). We removed all of the ground cover from the pen with a tiller prior to closing in the last wall, backfilled with about 1,000 lbs of top soil and seeded it with Bermuda grass, Crimson Clover and Broad -leafes Mustard greens. Some grass has grown back from riozomes that were left in the soild, but that is okay because they like that stuff too. We just recently spread a bag of wild bird seed, mostly compossed of Millet and Milo, but there are some sunflowers in there. So, hopefully those seeds will start sprouting soon enough. We then built the pond out of snad mix and coated it with a pond sealer. The pond is roughly 6' x 6' and about 4" deep at the deepest spot (when it is full). It is hooked to a 4" drain pipe for easy cleanning and we did run water to the corner of the pen, to make water readily available for filling the pond and watering the plant. Lastly, we have added a Hibiscus, which Ping loves and two differenet "flavors" of Crotons. More plants are to come, but I am still in the process of cross referencing Tortoise safe plants with ones that will survive in our USDA zone. I will hopefully be getting another 4-7 plants in there in the next month or so. I still have one wall of fence left to install and the custom made gate, and we will be done.

I will definitely post some updated shots as more upgrades get complete, and as I get some good shots of everbody enjkoying their new "home".

Thanks for looking,
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks
    Wow! What a great space for them, great job.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine_3 For This Useful Post:

muddoc (05-05-2011)

Thanks
    well that is definitely cool man. you should post some more pictures of those guys when you get a chance and some more snake pics too!!! thanks for sharing

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fndjason4 For This Useful Post:

muddoc (05-05-2011)

Thanks
    Thanks. I will definitely start taking some pics of the torts. Ans, I am taking some pics of snakes, as I am attempting to start updating that collection pages from all of the new additions last year. Keep an eye out.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Re: Taking up all of my time

Hey Tim, no fair you didn't post any tort pics

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hoooooly cow, Tim!! I'm SO jealous!!! I love love love aldabras!!!

Someday, when we finally reach that nirvana of retirement and I get a permanent home, I WILL hire you to come out and build my tortoise enclosures! That is truly beautiful! Looks like Tort Paradise!

( Guess who's moving back to the southern region again this summer? Just might have to stop by and see those beauties in person!)
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Jungle View Post
    Hey Tim, no fair you didn't post any tort pics
    Raul,
    I'll get some just for you this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Hoooooly cow, Tim!! I'm SO jealous!!! I love love love aldabras!!!

Someday, when we finally reach that nirvana of retirement and I get a permanent home, I WILL hire you to come out and build my tortoise enclosures! That is truly beautiful! Looks like Tort Paradise!

( Guess who's moving back to the southern region again this summer? Just might have to stop by and see those beauties in person!)
    Thanks Judy. I am going to guess that it will ebe you moving back. Definitely come by. We would love to have you.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by muddoc View Post
    Thanks Judy. I am going to guess that it will ebe you moving back. Definitely come by. We would love to have you.
    Hehe...yeah, that'd be me. We got unexpected orders for Dean to go to Air War College in Montgomery. We'll only be there a year, but I plan to make the most of it by making multiple road trips to visit all my southern peeps.
    -- Judy

Thanks

That is a cool setup, I must say. Is it in a backyard? Talk about a tort paradise!
    Paul

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PweEzy For This Useful Post:

muddoc (05-09-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts
    I really like the Aldabra torts and you made them an AWESOME set up Tim
    Jeff Bernard

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Boanerges For This Useful Post:

muddoc (05-09-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast