Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,431

2 members and 3,429 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

How often and what to feed your tokay questions.

Basically, I have an awesome opportunity to get a tokay gecko. It looks healthy and the price is $25. So I might go for it.

I checked the care sheet on here and saw under diet it just says crickets and meal worms. Is that all they need? and how often should I feed them?
    The Collection (Combined with a friends)

1.0 Pastel Ball Python
    0.1 Cinnamon Ball Python
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python

3.0.2 Crested Geckos

Thanks
    Be very wary when buying tokays. It's very common that they are wc and it may look fine now but a month or two down the road you have a major parasite issue. Qt and do an immediate fecal check. 25.00 toks in my experience are wild caughts. I personally always go for cb you spend 25-50.00 more but you don't get a parasite infested animal. More over you get a baby thats used to humans and acclimated easily. You also get a full history on the animal, it can't get any better than that. I learned that the hard way the first 2 tokays I got both were incredibly sick when i got them and I had a 200.00 vet bill to pay. I then learned that cheaper is not better. Being a tokay breeder I see many people that go for the cheaper route and the same thing that happened to me happens to most. Then they wonder why it's not eating or has diarrhea, or is skin and bones. Take it from me get a fecal sample done as soon as it gets there. Now, as for feeding. Mealies nope they don't go for mealies. Or I'll say some will some won't. Personally on all of my babies and breeders I only use crickets and roaches. It doesn't get any healthier than that. Every other day feedings for adults and every day for babies. Dust with ca with d3 2 feeding a week. And leave regular ca in the cage at all times. Hope this helps.
    Morgan

Thanks

Re: How often and what to feed your tokay questions.

I know of the problems with wild caught tokays and I think I'm prepared. I'm almost positive this person has had this tokay for quite a while and would have treated the problems.

The main reason I'm looking into this tokay, I can't find any AT ALL in this city or within a 2 hour drive worth doing. I've also wanted to get a tokay to see if they are the "right" species for me. I love my crested geckos but I want to see how I like an even some-what aggressive gecko. I have no problems dealing with aggression from almost any type of pet. If I can find a breeder in Canada and they have good quality tokays then I will definitely purchase from a breeder.
    Edit: I wasn't even able to find tokay geckos at the last 2 reptile shows I've gone too. I havent done that much research on breeders though.

About the calcium, do I have to mix it with anything or leave it in there alone?

Thanks for your reply
    Last edited by LP.; 05-03-2011 at 06:21 PM.
    The Collection (Combined with a friends)

1.0 Pastel Ball Python
    0.1 Cinnamon Ball Python
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python

3.0.2 Crested Geckos

Thanks
    I see... I didn't realize you are I'm Canada. As long as you realize the issues that could potentially come, and have a vet on Hand to do a fecal you will be fine. The ca I leave in the cage is crushed tums. Works great and they dont mind the fruity flavor. I put it in a dish and they lick it out. Beyond that I dust crix 2 feeding for all with the ca with d3. Too bad you couldn't just come down a few hours to my neck of the woods. I'm in Vt. I've had many Canadians call to see if I can ship up there. Sadly I cannot.