Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 945

0 members and 945 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Meeistrom do you know if your friend has tried Harlequin X Pin or Lemon Blast? You said that Harlequin x pastel hasn't yielded any pastel wide-stripes, but super pastel x harlequin has. Is it possible that the pastel clutches were just poor odds? Or have there been too many to call it that? I'm still on the fence about putting the Lemon Blast to my female... I'm thinking more and more about doing a joint breeding project with my buddy's male from VMS. Cheers man.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    No pins yet, but a spider was done and out of 4 eggs 1 spider, 2 normals, and one really odd looking spider. Could it be a spider wide maybe have to wait a few years as it's a female. Or it could be a really bad looking spider too.

In terms of bad odds anything is possible but 2 males were bred to 5 pastel females and not 1 produced a wide stride or a pastel wide stripe.

Here's the list of morphs the wide stripes were bred to: pastel, super pastel, spider, black pastel, sable, mojave, lesser, fire, yellow belly, woma, albino, and ghost. I'm not saying that all of thee combo's exist but that was what the 5 males were bred to. Some hit others didn't but that's how the odds work.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I forgot to add a B.E.L., and an enchi to the list as well. The males were busy this year. I also forgot to add the females did not breed this year as they were way under weight. I honestly bred them too young and they needed this year off.

Thanks

Re: Harlequin Wide-Stripe

Quote Originally Posted by meeistom View Post
    I think the reason it's no more "known" is very simply put they aren't too special. There are lots of normals out there that have a very similar appearance. In the grand scheme of morphs out there they aren't that different from a normal. Some of the combos are nice but again if you can't sell them at a decent price you end up with lots of pretty pets. Lets say you bred a wide to a mojave you get 5 eggs and 1 is a normal wide and 1 is a stripe mojave. You now have to market the stripe mojave and show it's genetic. Easier said then done. It just may not be worth the time and effort. Remember not everyone thinks they are all that special.

Does the "quinstripe" that Ntume posted a picture of (on the 1st page) look like anything you've produced with the wide-stripes? If so, I bet that alone, and/or that with maybe some pastel or Enchi in it, would go a loooong way towards marketing the wide-stripes ...

I mean, you think about it, there are quite a few morphs that are various degrees of unexciting on their own, but unlock some really cool stuff when combined -- I think sometimes it's the combos that really "make" the morph marketing-wise ...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yes and no. Mine was way darker but the female YB is insanely dark but so that has more to do with the dam/sire then anything else. The head is the same pattern though.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent_Nirvana View Post
    Does the "quinstripe" that Ntume posted a picture of (on the 1st page) look like anything you've produced with the wide-stripes? If so, I bet that alone, and/or that with maybe some pastel or Enchi in it, would go a loooong way towards marketing the wide-stripes ...

I mean, you think about it, there are quite a few morphs that are various degrees of unexciting on their own, but unlock some really cool stuff when combined -- I think sometimes it's the combos that really "make" the morph marketing-wise ...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to meeistom For This Useful Post:

Serpent_Nirvana (05-15-2011)

Thanks
    Interesting ... Well, if that is a consistently reproduce-able combo, that'd be enough to make me want to pick up a wide-stripe (and yellowbelly for that matter )

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    It is reproducible but the odds are very low. Wide combo's are 1 if your lucky in a clutch. Out of over 25 clutch's this season only 7 produced a combo. There are still another 6 to go but those are not good odds at all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meeistom View Post
    It is reproducible but the odds are very low. Wide combo's are 1 if your lucky in a clutch. Out of over 25 clutch's this season only 7 produced a combo. There are still another 6 to go but those are not good odds at all.

Hmm ... Interesting.

Noticed any pattern to the sex of wides or combos?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Is it possible that what we see as wide stripe is actually a polygenic combo?

Something we cannot visually distinguish in the non-widestripe animals?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Hmm that's a very interesting theory. I will have to discuss this with a few of my buddies who are genetics experts. Just not sure how to prove or disprove this. You've given me something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

Is it possible that what we see as wide stripe is actually a polygenic combo?

Something we cannot visually distinguish in the non-widestripe animals?

dr del

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast