Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,298

3 members and 3,295 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haggaling?

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Haggaling?

Hey Guys im planning to pick up a female mojave hatchling at a reptile show soon.What would be a resnable price to haggle the the breeder down without offending him/her.What would be a good price for a mojave female.And lets here some succesful haggaling stories, whats the most you have haggled off a retail price

BPnet Senior Member TheSnakeEye's Avatar
    Thanks
    The best advice I can tell you is look at what they go for online (minus shipping) and see if you can afford one. Most people won't tell you what they paid cus that's a little personal. It can start problems for breeders. So if I were you I'd look at what they go for and gauge yourself.
    Instagram: @NexusReptiles
    Faunaclassifieds: spujol26
    BLBC: spujol26
    www.facebook.com/TheSnakeEye07

Thanks
    i would say $250-300 or up depending on her look age and weight.

but in all honesty, i think haggling in general is offensive to a breeder. sure they might price a snake a little higher then normal but if that snake was really worth the price then why would you try to bring it down, bringing it down kind just means you do not believe she is worth that much but to someone who bred her or had for a long time might think she is wonderful and worth a lot more.

i don't know that is just me i guess.

[do not even know if i made sense....i never do most of the time. hard time getting my thoughts out by typing]
    Then I'm tiny like a door mouse
    Short like a bungalow house
    Minute like a pixie
    You can barely even see me

Thanks
    The price on Mojaves seems to be dropping daily, but last time I checked females go for around $200-240? So I think you could negotiate a bit lower, since reptile shows are the perfect place for haggling! The vendors are especially flexible in the final hours, but you also risk losing out on the available Mojaves by then.

My most successful haggling story? I went to the San Diego show last year, and was specifically looking for a HOT female Stimson's Python (to breed with my male). I passed a few that were unremarkable, and then came to a table with a few really nice Stimsons. This one gal in particular caught my attention - she was about a year old, with the most beautiful coloring & these amazing yellow eyes. I think he was originally asking $250, nearly double what he was asking for the others, since she was "special." I bargained with him for about 10 minutes, left to think about it, and came back to haggle some more... ended up getting her for $175, if memory serves. Not bad, eh?

I think she was worth every penny!

Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Re: Haggaling?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkeye714 View Post
    but in all honesty, i think haggling in general is offensive to a breeder.

i don't know that is just me i guess.
    I can tell you from experience (see my story above), they do NOT find it offensive - in fact, I think it's almost expected at reptile shows! Maybe it would be tacky at a shop, or if you were contacting them online... but the expos are a different story, and as I said above, they're especially willing to bargain at the end of the weekend. Come to think of it, I've never paid full price for a show-purchased snake.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee

Thanks
    Animals like that are always going to be pretty firm in the price. I seriously doubt you will be able to get one for less than what they are asking. Plus you have to realize that they paid good money to produce the snake. The cost of the parents and all of the housing and food expenses really adds up.
    5.5 SNAKES
    ------------------------------
    2.1 Corn Snakes
    1.2 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Honduran Milk Snake
    1.1 California Kingsnakes
    1.0 Western Hog

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiffyYoshi For This Useful Post:

A.P.B.T. (05-02-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lolo76 View Post
    I can tell you from experience (see my story above), they do NOT find it offensive - in fact, I think it's almost expected at reptile shows! Maybe it would be tacky at a shop, or if you were contacting them online... but the expos are a different story, and as I said above, they're especially willing to bargain at the end of the weekend. Come to think of it, I've never paid full price for a show-purchased snake.

i think i just feel rude ahah. like i am telling them that their snake is not worth so and so $$ you know?
    i don't think i would even be able to start the haggle process. maybe you can couch me? ^_^
    Minute like a pixie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pinkeye714 View Post
    i think i just feel rude ahah. like i am telling them that their snake is not worth so and so $$ you know?
    i don't think i would even be able to start the haggle process. maybe you can couch me? ^_^
    LOL... I'm Jewish, so I guess it's in my blood.

I think as long as you're not making an insulting offer, the show vendors are usually willing to budge. Offering $50 for an albino retic will get you slapped, but asking "is that the lowest you can go?" on their original price is usually worth a shot. That's actually a good way to start the conversation, since it allows them to open the bidding (so to speak) - and also tells you quickly if they're willing to bargain.
    Last edited by Lolo76; 05-01-2011 at 11:58 PM.
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks
    P.S. If anyone's still doubting they lower prices, just do this little experiment... visit a herp expo in its opening hours, and then go back in the last hour of the last day. Compare prices of the same snakes, and you'll typically see they have dropped!
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lolo76 View Post
    LOL... I'm Jewish, so I guess it's in my blood.

I think as long as you're not making an insulting offer, the show vendors are usually willing to budge. Offering $50 for an albino retic will get you slapped, but asking "is that the lowest you can go?" on their original price is usually worth a shot. That's actually a good way to start the conversation, since it allows them to open the bidding (so to speak) - and also tells you quickly if they're willing to bargain.
    gah, lets try this in person ahah.
    i am Mexican, i should be able to do this! XD
    even the thought of it makes my stomach wanna poo. like seeing their face like this i would go sorry and walk away
    Minute like a pixie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast