Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,343

3 members and 3,340 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: EURGH. ticks?

Thanks

EURGH. ticks?

So, I went into my girl Eleanor's tub tonight to check on her (she's due to lay eggs like, any second now) and she had the back half of her body twisted so I could see her stomach. I noticed one of her scale was raised quite a bit, so I grabbed some tweezers to pull what I thought was a piece of bedding out. Instead I pulled out a nasty, giant, tick. My first reaction was to get the itchies and freak out about snake mites, because I treated everyone for it not too long ago, but then realized it was a tick, not snake mites. It was about the size of a kernel of popcorn, round, orange face, blue body. I squeezed it and stuck it in a ziploc, just in case.
    Anyways, a dog tick on my poor ball python? I can only assume it came in on my dogs or me, but my dogs are treated regularly and are up to date on all that stuff soooooo yeah. In any case, everyone's getting a thorough checking over tomorrow.
    I threw some non pain reliever neosporin on the spot, since it was bleeding a little.
    1.0 normal ball python, Simon
    1.0 spider ball python, Noah
    0.1 genetic blurry ball python, Eleanor

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    - the fox

Thanks

Re: EURGH. ticks?

Gross! I've had ticks come in on my dog even though we treat him with anti bug stuff and once they realize he tastes like tick poison, lol, they instantly look for another host. Sounds like you did the right thing with the neosporin and stuff, just make sure the head didn't come off.
    1.0 normal BP - Boomerang
    1.0 pastel BP - Riu
    1.1 dogs - Jake & Joey

Thanks
    Really odd that it found it's way to your snake. Ticks and other critters is why I think letting a snake roam the outdoors is bad (not pertaining to your case)
    0.1 Normal Ball Python--> Tuna
    0.0.1 Anery Cornsnake---> Sable

I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    -Steve Irwin (RIP)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Johan For This Useful Post:

Simple Man (04-29-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

If I understand right, ticks are somewhat host-specific. A tick that feeds on a mammal will not then switch to a cold-blooded host with scales.

Have you brought in any wild-caught snakes? Or been around any? Or have you taken in a snake that was kept in a facility that had exposure to wild caught animals?
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    If I understand right, ticks are somewhat host-specific. A tick that feeds on a mammal will not then switch to a cold-blooded host with scales.

Have you brought in any wild-caught snakes? Or been around any? Or have you taken in a snake that was kept in a facility that had exposure to wild caught animals?
    That's what I thought too. Last summer I did bring in some wild caught garters, but I was pretty careful about keeping them in a separate room and washing hands. I checked them over pretty well, but it is possible I missed one and it hitched a ride on my clothes or something. Not sure about the last question, but it's definitely possible it came off a wild snake, although it would have been from last summer.
    1.0 normal ball python, Simon
    1.0 spider ball python, Noah
    0.1 genetic blurry ball python, Eleanor

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    - the fox