Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,392

1 members and 3,391 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

male bp hissing at his food and not eating

he hasnt ate since last october and i have been putting a rat in he tub last couple of feedings with the other snakes and he has hissed at the rat but hasnt struck at it just jerks away any advice should i leave the rat in there a little bit longer or should i give him a few more weeks b4 i offer him more food thanks

Thanks

Re: male bp hissing at his food and not eating

I've lightly coated F/T rat with chicken broth...nuked in the microwave in a shot glass...put rat in a zip lock with the broth, then try again...if he's nervous, try leaving it in near his hide, so he can get in and strike it while he still feels safe and ambushy...it's worked for me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Plissken For This Useful Post:

mdfreak2 (04-25-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts
    Are you saying that snake is in with other snakes or that when you feed your other snakes you are trying to feed him as well?

Live or F/T?

What was he eating before he stopped eating?

How long are you leaving it in there with him now?

I would wait a week before trying again personally. And he just might not be ready to go back on feed for whatever reason. Some hold out for a very long time.
    Jeff Bernard

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Boanerges For This Useful Post:

mdfreak2 (04-25-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boanerges View Post
    Are you saying that snake is in with other snakes or that when you feed your other snakes you are trying to feed him as well?

Live or F/T?

What was he eating before he stopped eating?

How long are you leaving it in there with him now?

I would wait a week before trying again personally. And he just might not be ready to go back on feed for whatever reason. Some hold out for a very long time.
    he eats alone never with any of my other snakes, he was eating live rats until winter came along and he quit eating cause he is a big boy so he wanted something else then food . i leave the rat in there for 5-10 mins or so just depends on the rat if he is walking on him or trying to smell him i will take it out in fear of rat biting snake. i feed all of them on saturdays only so he wont get another one til next saturday. also last yr when he came off his non feeding months i had to get him a gerbil to get him eating again then put him back on med rats thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdfreak2 View Post
    he eats alone never with any of my other snakes, he was eating live rats until winter came along and he quit eating cause he is a big boy so he wanted something else then food . i leave the rat in there for 5-10 mins or so just depends on the rat if he is walking on him or trying to smell him i will take it out in fear of rat biting snake. i feed all of them on saturdays only so he wont get another one til next saturday. also last yr when he came off his non feeding months i had to get him a gerbil to get him eating again then put him back on med rats thanks
    5-10 minutes is a good time for live imo as long as your there while your waiting. Also, you got lucky because some times when they eat a gerbil that's all they want to eat. He must be a really big boy if he is eating med rats. You can also try a small rat to intice him to eat. Something smaller might tempt him. He could be holding out for that gerbil now too though
    Jeff Bernard

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Boanerges For This Useful Post:

mdfreak2 (04-25-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boanerges View Post
    5-10 minutes is a good time for live imo as long as your there while your waiting. Also, you got lucky because some times when they eat a gerbil that's all they want to eat. He must be a really big boy if he is eating med rats. You can also try a small rat to intice him to eat. Something smaller might tempt him. He could be holding out for that gerbil now too though
    yea he is a big boy and yes im lucky with him switching back to rats from gerbils but i only did it like 2 times the owner of the local reptile store told me that is what they eat in the wild and that would get his feeding back underway and yes im glad he did switch gerbils are 8 dollars a piece so yea his butt better take a dang rat as i have plenty of those for him. i do watch over all my snakes while they eat since they do eat live so no biting for them and usally the snakes dont give them long enough to bite them b4 eats get them.

Thanks
    I hope the gerbil was pk or ft. But he sounds like he's refusing. If they jerk away or hide their heads or if the rat walks on them I immediately take it out bc all it's doing is stressing him.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Homegrownscales For This Useful Post:

mdfreak2 (04-25-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homegrownscales View Post
    I hope the gerbil was pk or ft. But he sounds like he's refusing. If they jerk away or hide their heads or if the rat walks on them I immediately take it out bc all it's doing is stressing him.
    no i have never fed them pk or ft rats or gerbil. and yes if the rat starts crawling on him the rat gets tooken out and if he starts hiding his head the rat gets tooken out less stress the better off he is. i have figured out that my baby pastel is a garbage disposal threw 1 baby mouse in his tub and he stalked it he was great looking then after he got that one down i waited an hour or so and threw another little bitty mouse in there and he stalked it too.