Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,246

1 members and 3,245 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Force feeding

Thanks

Force feeding

How do I force feed

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Better question is have you tried everything to avoid force feeding..It is an absolute last resort when it come to snakes.

So help me out and tell me about the snake, set up and what methods of feeding you've tried and how long it's been off food.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Re: Force feeding

If you absolutely must, there are step by step videos on youtube showing how to do it.

Thanks
    She's a baby and probaby off food for two months and has been losing weight, I haven't weighed her but I can tell. She lives in a twenty gallon tank with her mate at the time (i know the risks of housing together, and its not permanent just waiting till they get a bit bigger). Temperaturę is 86 at the moment And they humidity is 80 at the moment. But i actually got her to eat, i didnt force feed or stick the mouse down her throat but i but my hands behind her head as if you were going to miłk her, then i rubbed the mouse in front of her face and she took it hopefully this is the end of her fasting, i hate theyre picky

Thanks
    She's most likely not eating due to the stress of being housed with another snake, and from the temps being too low. If nothing else, go buy a rubber maid tote and separate them, and get the temps where they need to be.
    "There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination....

Thanks
    On the sheet that came with the heat lamp says the temperature only needs to be 80-85. The temp usually is higher but I took the lid off to take them out for feeding( just checked temp again now it's at 92), and yes I will seperate them probably next pay check.

Thanks

Re: Force feeding

Quote Originally Posted by B-fish View Post
    On the sheet that came with the heat lamp says the temperature only needs to be 80-85. The temp usually is higher but I took the lid off to take them out for feeding( just checked temp again now it's at 92), and yes I will seperate them probably next pay check.
    Sorry, but the temp that came with the heat lamp is wrong. Their hot side should be between 90-92, and the cool side 80-82. You should get them separated asap, and get some belly heat on them.

Are you measuring temps at the bottom of the cage? Is there enough room for both to thermoregulate adequately? What are you measuring with?

I can uderstand that a $10 dollar tub, with a heat mat and dimmer, can get expensive, but is it worth the risk of your snakes health?
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks
    I will 100% tell you that she is stressed due to having a cage mate, and low temps. This is a situation that would have been totally avoided given the tiniest bit of research. Instead of saying please help my snake isn't eating. You question was how do I forcefeed. Let me tell you that in my almost 6 years of owning and 4 years of breeding balls Ive never needed to do that. They stop eating for a reason, stress, Illness or cooling. I'm sure there's others that have been doing this much longer than I and have never or had to do it less than a handful of times. What I'm telling you is that force-feeding not only is a last option this snake is going to die tomarrow resort but it's very very stressful and can seriously injure the snake if it's not done right. Not to mention should only be done by a vet or a professional.
    I want you to understand that if you separate these two and get your temps right she will be eating within a week or two if everything is correct. This is a simple fix. She's very stressed and too cold. Multiple snake enclosures set up the right way is very advanced and it's actually something I don't even do. Theres just no reason for it. It normally is just set up out of convienence for the owner and in all reality it's turns out to be very inconvenient. Why? Because of issues like this. When theyre not set up right you have one stressed submissive snake and one dominant snake that takes over the whole tank.
    So no do not forcefeed. I think you'd be risking way to much by doing it and you're too new to balls to be able to do it the right way. Fix the setup and the snake will calm down and resume eating.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Put her by herself in a 6 quart tub, 15 at the most provide gradient temps, aspen bedding, no handling and than offer food after a week.

She knows how to eat and is healthy, the problem is that you do not provide optimal husbandry for this specific animal, hence why the animal is not eating for you.

Force feeding is a last resort solution when the animal's health is declining and everything else has failed.
    Deborah Stewart