Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,391

2 members and 3,389 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    To gas MANY pinky mice/rats toss them in a 1gallon freezer bag, Put co2 hose in and close the bag best you can. Turn it on and leave it run few mins then hurry and close bag.

If your freezer can get COLD and i mean below -20F you CAN freeze alive as they will die in about 30 secs and be rock solid in about 20 mins depending how many are in the bag.

Ive done both methods depending on amount i was gassing/freezing

BPnet Veteran Highline Reptiles South's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: So I Flicked a Pinky Mouse On The Head....

and yet another example of inaccurate rush to judgement on bp.net - Don't feel bad, it happens a lot around here.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Highline Reptiles South For This Useful Post:

JRSCB16A2 (09-07-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    There's a few good reasons to kill pinkies, the ones mentioned here about some snakes eating the prey alive, needing to freeze the pinkies for later use, or CO2 not working well on pinkies.

If the brains are crushed immedaitely, it's humane. The brain is what "feels". The body doesn't feel anything, it's only when sensations reach the brain that 'pain' is realized. When the brain is destroyed, there's no pain. It's the same as pithing, just contained within the skin. Flicking a pinky mouse on the skull is HUMANE, it just seems brutal in visual/emotional terms. But what counts is "Is it a quick humane death?" Answer is yes, especially when done correctly.

I'll admit, my FIRST thought was "Why would anyone bother to kill a pinky?" but I had the advantage of reading the thread of responses and seeing the "eating prey alive, needing to freeze... etc" reasons. I had thought of putting extras into the freezer, which needs pre-killing. I'd forgotten certain snakes' habits of eating prey items without bothering to constrict/kill it.

I'll disagree with the poster implying that people "rush to judgement" on BP.net a lot. Does it happen sometimes? Yes. It happens EVERYWHERE sometimes. It happens more on sites of animal lovers who want humane treatment of all animals.

To the OP, don't be insulted by people protesting what seems to be unneccasary killing. It's only because they really care about all critters, even those intended to be meals.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

JLC (09-07-2011)

BPnet Senior Member MidSouthMorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,267 Times in 833 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
    I 150% disagree with this... Hold your breath for as long as u can... At a certain stage animal fear and panic emerges that they would be dealing with as they die... And speaking from expiernce of someone who has been knocked out its a wake up.. Ouch i hurt so bad.. But wtf happened... Quick flick to the head would be the same minus the wake up. Quick amd painless. Suffocation is a horrible way to die... Second only to drowning imo.

To the OP. I frankly agree with your actions.. As sad and difficult as it may be you did THE most humane thing. What you witnessed was nerves powering out.. Your pinkie was probly not alive after the first flick. 2nd one shows ur level of concern and thats good.
    A lack of oxygen and passing out from Carbon Dioxide rich air is so different, your not taking their oxygen from them, you are making the air richer in CO2, you can still breathe, you are only losing consciousness. If more CO2 exists in the air, you will simply "fall asleep" and not even know. Kind of like Carbon Monoxide, poeple who live didn't even know what happened, they just pass out like falling alseep. It is a painless way to kill your feeders.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MidSouthMorphs View Post
    A lack of oxygen and passing out from Carbon Dioxide rich air is so different, your not taking their oxygen from them, you are making the air richer in CO2, you can still breathe, you are only losing consciousness. If more CO2 exists in the air, you will simply "fall asleep" and not even know. Kind of like Carbon Monoxide, poeple who live didn't even know what happened, they just pass out like falling alseep. It is a painless way to kill your feeders.
    I think the person was referring to being constricted and suffocated.
    1.0 Pastel
    1.0 Spider
    1.1 Citrus Ghosts
    0.1 Albino
    1.0 Normal

0.1 Red Blood Python
    1.0 Corn Snake
    0.1 Hognose
    1.2 Crested Geckos
    0.1 Leachianus

BPnet Senior Member MidSouthMorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,267 Times in 833 Posts
    He was talking about flicking a mouse on the head and one being gassed.

Thanks
    No i was refering to another posters comment that they would rather die from lack of oxygen then brain injury. I was simply saying id rather it be fast then a slow lack of oxygen. Co2 is a painless way to go that i agree with aswell.
    2.6 ball pythons 3.12 ASF
    Cofounder www.softfurs.com

Like us Facebook
    www.facebook.com/simplexserpents

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Simplex For This Useful Post:

thewesterngate (09-25-2011)

Thanks
    He was talking about flicking a mouse on the head and one being gassed.
    No i wasnt.
    2.6 ball pythons 3.12 ASF
    Cofounder www.softfurs.com

Like us Facebook
    www.facebook.com/simplexserpents

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123