Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,255

1 members and 3,254 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Registered User Chimera Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: DIY XPVC Rack - Complete with pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Someone brought to my attention that this rack is similiar to several others on the market. I want to clarify that this rack is influenced by all the reading I've done over the years. I didn't just *lightbulb* this idea and build it. So thanks goes out to www.animalplastics.com, ssscales.com, www.boaphile.com, www.reptilebasics.com, www.visionproducts.us, all the videos and tuts on www.youtube.com, previous DIY racks on www.ball-python.net and everyone else that influenced and aided in my rack build. I think most of those cover the racks I've drooled over. I decided to DIY because of COST and the fact I like doing my own work on things. Sorry if this caused any confusion for anyone! I didn't maliciously try to steal anyone's work. My goal was simply to have a step by step informational post to help other people realize they can build their own quality affordable racks with a little patience and know-how.

Kind Regards,

B
    Hey Simple Man, let me be the first to say good on you brother for giving credit where credit is due on the rack design.
    As for the workmanship on your rack, AWESOME!!! And for taking all the time it must've taking you to do a great step by step picture tutorial, for everyone and their pet monkey to be able to follow along KUDOS!!!
    Very professional, your a great asset to the community
    Hated by many.
    Loved by few..
    Feared by all...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chimera Reptiles For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (06-23-2011),Simple Man (06-23-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts

Cut Sheet

I had a few questions on how the cuts were made on the sheet. This is what I emailed the plastics manufacture. Feel free to use it if you need it. I have another for my 50 hatchling 6qt rack but I have not assembled that. I will update another thread when I get that put together.

Regards,

B

Thanks

Re: DIY XPVC Rack - Complete with pics!

is the xpvc a lot lighter than melamine?
    Paul

Thanks
    It is around 40lbs for an entire rack assembled. I weighed it. That's probably at least 1/2 as much as a sheet of melamine. I know 1/2" MDF weighs about 80-90 lbs for a 4'x8' sheet and I imagine melamine is close. I can move this rack around with one arm but I'm a decent size guy.

Regards,

B

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

A shot of my rack in action After dealing with it since the build I can't recommend enough that people build your own! This rack rocks. I'm going to be building another soon.

Regards,

B
    Brian:

That looks absolutely fantastic. Congratulations on taking the initiative and building one of your own.

..and thanks for sharing your plans and process with the rest of us. You've shown that with a little bit of planning, anyone can go down to their local Tap Plastics and undertake such a project.

Thanks
    I'm going to pick up my materials this weekend to build two 10 slot 32qt racks. They quoted me $88 per sheet with cuts, and I'll need 3 sheets with your open design. The only real difference (besides 10 slots) is I want mine to be open in the front to maximize wall space.

Thanks for pioneering this. If it works out I plan on building 3 more of these, 2 41qts, and some hatchling racks. So excited!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...6/XPVCcuts.jpg
    Rocky Mountain Balls
    Website
    Facebook

Thanks
    What's the measurement of each shelf is it's still 24x17? Would there be a problem if u do 24x16 that way u get 12 shelf pieces per board.

Thanks
    The tub's width at the top is 16", so it might be a tight fit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    Brian:

That looks absolutely fantastic. Congratulations on taking the initiative and building one of your own.

..and thanks for sharing your plans and process with the rest of us. You've shown that with a little bit of planning, anyone can go down to their local Tap Plastics and undertake such a project.
    That was the goal! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by spitzu View Post
    I'm going to pick up my materials this weekend to build two 10 slot 32qt racks. They quoted me $88 per sheet with cuts, and I'll need 3 sheets with your open design. The only real difference (besides 10 slots) is I want mine to be open in the front to maximize wall space.

Thanks for pioneering this. If it works out I plan on building 3 more of these, 2 41qts, and some hatchling racks. So excited!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...6/XPVCcuts.jpg
    Be sure to post pictures. I follow what you're saying but would love to see it in action. I did mine this way because I need the dual purpose 15/32qt. If I was doing just 32qt I would do your way for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by blo0 View Post
    What's the measurement of each shelf is it's still 24x17? Would there be a problem if u do 24x16 that way u get 12 shelf pieces per board.
    You can't fit a 32qt in there if you make the shelves smaller. You could make them smaller if you plan on doing 15qt only but I don't think the 32 would fit.

Regards,

B

Thanks

Be sure to post pictures. I follow what you're saying but would love to see it in action. I did mine this way because I need the dual purpose 15/32qt. If I was doing just 32qt I would do your way for sure!
    Yeah I know why you did it sideways and I would have too except for the small snake room. At least I can get one 15qt tub in there if needed.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast