Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,392

4 members and 3,388 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    I'm in the process of building the 41 qt rack right now! Ran into a few problems since I'm not amazing with carpentry but it's working out perfect! minus the dead drill, which is why I'm on my PC now . I built your 16/32qt rack, 41qt rack, soon when I have babies I'm gonna needa do the hatchling rack! cant wait :]

Spent a little under $300 for the entire 41qt rack.

Thanks
    Guys I bought two of these racks from him and THEY ARE COMPLETELY AWESOME!!!! Cant say enough good things about them. And where reptile plastics quoted me an almost 2 month wait, Brian got me my racks done in 7 days!!!!

2 THUMBS UP!!
    Loads of balls around here
    1.0 Hubby, 1.0 New Son, 1.0 Dachshund

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wapadi For This Useful Post:

Simple Man (07-16-2012)

Thanks

Re: DIY XPVC Rack - Complete with pics!

I'm planning on building two new racks within the next month or so, and I'm thinking about trying this design. For those of you who have this rack, how sturdy is it compared to one made of wood?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PsychD_Student View Post
    I'm planning on building two new racks within the next month or so, and I'm thinking about trying this design. For those of you who have this rack, how sturdy is it compared to one made of wood?
    Just built one...its flimsy as hell when your putting it together. Once you have the side legs on its sturdy. The back legs make it solid. Its a great rack. I recommend routing out the grooves for heat tape. Its extremely malleable and routs easy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeNjackee For This Useful Post:

Simple Man (07-16-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    I will be doing a 41qt one as well once I get some females up to that size. As it stands most adult snakes will be happy with the 31qt sideways instead of the two 15 qts. I have the stuff for a hatchling rack but haven't been really motivated because I won't be breeding for a year or two. I'll be sure to keep this updated.

Regards,

B
    Did you ever get to making the hatchling rack?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeNjackee View Post
    Just built one...its flimsy as hell when your putting it together. Once you have the side legs on its sturdy. The back legs make it solid. Its a great rack. I recommend routing out the grooves for heat tape. Its extremely malleable and routs easy.
    Why do you recommend routing out grooves for the heat tape? I plan on using DVDs as spacers so it slides in and out without much trouble or stress on the tape.

Also, how would you do it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Here's the cut sheet for my 41qt (2 sheets)

After much trial and error I recommend a 1/32 spacer to be used on both edges of the tub while assembling. This gives an easier sliding tub. I tried some household things and they didn't work well. I ended up using two strips of balsa wood.

Regards,

B
    Hey everyone! So I plan on building my xpvc racks in a few weeks. I'm building some to hold 60qt sterilite bins at target, for which I need 35x19 shelves. So my question is, after changing the specs above, I noticed I would have four support legs (the frame ya know) that would be attached to the shelves. The four legs would be 6.5 in thick. Would that be enough to support the weight of the rack? Or should I revamp my specs?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts

Hey everyone! So I plan on building my xpvc racks in a few weeks. I'm building some to hold 60qt sterilite bins at target, for which I need 35x19 shelves. So my question is, after changing the specs above, I noticed I would have four support legs (the frame ya know) that would be attached to the shelves. The four legs would be 6.5 in thick. Would that be enough to support the weight of the rack? Or should I revamp my specs?
    Should be fine as long as you space them properly for maximim support. I haven't built anything that large so you're treading on new ground there Be sure to let us know how it turns out.

Regards,

B

Thanks

Did you ever get to making the hatchling rack?
    I second this! If you havent, be sure to update when you do! I will be making 1 of every rack on this thread. Right now I'm trying to decide with the 15/32 or just the 32... If I make the 15/32 rack, won't the 32 qt tubs lack a warm/cool side for the snakes? Because wouldnt the flexwatt run down the length of the tub instead of the width at one of the ends? Does that make sense?

Thanks,
    SC

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stupidcracker00 View Post
    I second this! If you havent, be sure to update when you do! I will be making 1 of every rack on this thread. Right now I'm trying to decide with the 15/32 or just the 32... If I make the 15/32 rack, won't the 32 qt tubs lack a warm/cool side for the snakes? Because wouldnt the flexwatt run down the length of the tub instead of the width at one of the ends? Does that make sense?

Thanks,
    SC
    I made the hatchling rack and would not recommend the way I did it. I ended up with 6 wide x 9 levels for 54 tubs total. I should have cut it in half and did 3 wide by 9 levels. As it stands now if I redid it I would make two 9 level 3 wide racks.

The Flexwatt, if you run it correctly will be on the back half of the 32qt. The snakes will use it when they need to or go to the other side. I haven't had any issues at all. If the snake is too big for that then you really should have them in a 41qt.

Regards,

B

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Simple Man For This Useful Post:

stupidcracker00 (08-01-2012)

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast