Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,953

0 members and 2,953 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

spider gene wobble and ibd?

Today i recieved my 2010 female stinger bee, she looks fantastic and i will be posting some pictures once she has settled in. But i do have a question as i am a bit worried.

This is my first spider morph and have never seen the wobble in action, before i bought her i asked the breeder if she had any signifcant wobble. He said no she didnt, but today i looked in on her and she was wobbling alot, head twirls, uside down movements with the head etc.

It then got me thinking how do u tell the difference between a wobble from the spider gene and a snake with ibd? Is there a notable difference?

She is in quarentine, and im sure she doesnt have ibd but i would like to be assured on the differences, they are both neurological dissorders right?
    Last edited by ms381; 04-20-2011 at 08:13 PM.
    1.0 Pastel Graziani ( Sir Henry) " Henners " 2010
    0.1 Stinger Bee " Barbara " 2010

Thanks
    Well, I have no experience with IBD, but I do know one of the symptoms is not being able to right themselves up when they're on their backs and stargazing. It all seems a little more extreme and unusual than a "spider wobble".
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Re: spider gene wobble and ibd?

Quote Originally Posted by ms381 View Post
    Today i recieved my 2010 female stinger bee, she looks fantastic and i will be posting some pictures once she has settled in. But i do have a question as i am a bit worried.

This is my first spider morph and have never seen the wobble in action, before i bought her i asked the breeder if she had any signifcant wobble. He said no she didnt, but today i looked in on her and she was wobbling alot, head twirls, uside down movements with the head etc.

It then got me thinking how do u tell the difference between a wobble from the spider gene and a snake with ibd? Is there a notable difference?

She is in quarentine, and im sure she doesnt have ibd but i would like to be assured on the differences, they are both neurological dissorders right?
    IBD is a disease not disorder. If she has IBD she will be dead in no time, Id be more worried about a boa having IBD since they can go their whole lives carrying it. Pythons once exposed are dead in a short period of time. Your snake has spider in it, it does not have IBD.

All spiders have the potential to wobble, I've personally seen how a spider can appear to have no wobble, then change homes and develop a horrible wobble, then come back home and have a minimal wobble.

Stress appears to play a big factor in how much they wobble, he/she just changed homes, so it could be a very stressful time. Make sure your husbandry is right and she might calm down over the next couple weeks. Its quirk all spiders have the potential to show.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Annie (04-21-2011),ms381 (04-20-2011)

Thanks

Re: spider gene wobble and ibd?

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    IBD is a disease not disorder. If she has IBD she will be dead in no time, Id be more worried about a boa having IBD since they can go their whole lives carrying it. Pythons once exposed are dead in a short period of time. Your snake has spider in it, it does not have IBD.

All spiders have the potential to wobble, I've personally seen how a spider can appear to have no wobble, then change homes and develop a horrible wobble, then come back home and have a minimal wobble.

Stress appears to play a big factor in how much they wobble, he/she just changed homes, so it could be a very stressful time. Make sure your husbandry is right and she might calm down over the next couple weeks. Its quirk all spiders have the potential to show.
    Thanks i just wanted to make sure by asking as this is my first snake with a spider gene, i watched some videos of the spider wobble to see what it was like and also found some videos of snakes with ibd. So i am assuming if your snake has ibd you would definately be able to tell the difference?

I have been observing her a bit more and she is moving around the tub fine, casually checking it out. She just has these 5 minute spells of crazy head rolling.
    It is very strange to see as she moves in a very different way to my pastel guy!

thanks for the help so far
    1.0 Pastel Graziani ( Sir Henry) " Henners " 2010
    0.1 Stinger Bee " Barbara " 2010