Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,150

0 members and 3,150 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Should I test for parasites?

I'm really starting to get worried about Madison, my female BP.
    (well, she seems to be female; probed 5 subcaudal scales so she is in between male and female. :/)
    Anyway, we had been feeding her one mouse a week, and about a month ago she would still do what I call "hunt" in her tank--after feeding her the mouse she would still roam around her tank, getting excited if she saw the mice for the other snakes, etc.
    So we started feeding her two at once.
    Two weeks ago we offered a mouse, she didn't want it. Next week, we tried a 40g. or larger gourmet rodent brand rat, and she scarfed it down.
    IT was weird, she had been eating only mice, and all of a sudden wasn't interested in them and wanted rats.
    But, we fed her that on Saturday, and by Sunday morning you couldn't tell she had eaten. She's maybe 300-400 g., I'd say, if that, and the rat was pretty big compared to her. Next morning my other BP's who are larger are stuffed and she looks and feels empty, like the food vanished right out of her belly. She hasn't grown as much as the others have either.
    Her stools aren't runny, and she's been acting normal. I'm wondering, should I get a fecal test for parasites done?
    Could she have some parasites that are just eating the food out of her tummy before she can get any? she doesn't look malnourished--just about right for her size and length, but she isn't getting bigger, it seems.
    Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks
    I think you just might not be giving her enough food. I know I've done that a few times with my girl. I know I didn't fill her tummy because she would still be out looking for food. Also, now I've learned that when her tummy is full she's all curled up under her hide. As for the sudden mice to rat change, the only think I could think of it as maybe, you know how you like something so it's all you eat for a few days straight, and then suddenly be like "Ugh. The thought of it makes me sick" thats the only thing I could think of. But I might be wrong. If you want to check for worms, give it a go. Do it anyways, that way if she does you can get her treated, but if she isn't then you can have a peace of mind knowing it's not that. But I'm sure someone might have a better answer then I do.
    0.1 Ball Python (Kafusu)
    0.1 Akita (Jada)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    shes HUNGRY Feed her

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (04-20-2011)