Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,244

4 members and 3,240 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,576
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda

Thread: New Addition

Thanks

New Addition

Hi! Long post incoming. We were at a local pet store today, one just up the road that I've only been in once before for about five minutes. They had several BP's and a red tail boa. Two of the BP's were about 3' and 4' respectively, two were hatchling/yearling size. They wanted 100.00 for the 4' one, which I fell in love with both because of how docile it is and the beautiful blushing on its head. The owner was talking to me and when I told him I wanted to start breeding and that I loved this snake's look, he lowered the price to 80.00 for me. So, typical me, I said DONE! The snake is now home, in the rack system. Before we brought him in, I moved Gene (my other BP) back to his tank and into another room in our small apartment in an attempt to quarantine as best I can. The snake looks healthy, has apparently been eating great (live, but going to try to switch him to f/t).

Fast forward a few hours after we get him home and in the tub. He spilled his water (plastic dish, I was foolish and set it on TOP of the aspen bedding rather than directly on the base of the rack). My girlfriend lifted the edge of one side of the lid up and I reached in to move the water dish, brushing the snake in the meantime. He immediately struck at her, twice. Luckily he hit the plastic tub both times because she kept the lid on!

Credit to her, even though she is terrified of being tagged, she didn't move a muscle, just increased her grip on the lid. Now, he was fine in the store so I am just attributing his aggression to being frightened (we had to bring him home in a pillowcase) and after a week or so of being left alone, I'll attempt to handle him. Personally, if I get tagged, I'll consider it a learning experience.

I'll post pictures after he/she has calmed down. Next month, both snakes will go to the local herp vet for a checkup and sexing. I'm pretty excited .

Thanks

Smile

Snakes don't really have emotions like anger. Most striking, hissing, is just that, fear. He's in a new place, new home, new people, new smells, everything. For most animals that can be overwhelming. Time is the best thing.

I respect my snakes as snakes, not cuddly bunnies. If my snake is 100% uncomfortable with me holding them, I won't that day. I always try my hardest to make my snakes feel safe and I have yet to even be mock struck at yet. Now I jinxed myself

Congrats on the new buddy!
    Last edited by AkHerps; 04-16-2011 at 02:55 AM.
    1.0.0 Blood Python, Chomper.
    0.1.0 Normal Ball Python, Petrie.
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon, Yoshi.
    1.0.0 Barred Tiger Salamander, Watson.
    3 female ferrets, Lola, Cha-Cha and Crazy girl.
    1 male ferret, Rico.
    1 Female Mastiff/Boxer, Bella.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AkHerps For This Useful Post:

Quacking-Terror (04-16-2011),Simple Man (04-16-2011)

Thanks
    Congrats on your addition! My newbies are all still scared , despite being mostly left alone for several weeks. Like posted above, you can just expect the snake be a snake. I wouldn't ask mine to be anything more.

Thanks
    Yeah, like I said no hard feelings. The poor guy/girl is just shaken from riding in a van with my friend who, quite frankly, has driving skills that leave me praying to whatever I can think of, up to and including the flying spaghetti monster. We did give him a makeshift hide, an old soda box with an opening big enough for him to get in. He fits in it well and seems to feel safe in there. I cleaned out the wet shavings, or the majority of them, and left him alone. I hate knowing he is frightened but hopefully with time he calms down and I see the snake that was in the pet store again .
    1.1.0 Normal BP's, Gene and <No Name Yet>
    .1 Red Tail Boa - Ruby
    .1 Creamsicle corn snake - Gobble

My snakey blog! Please read and comment, I value the opinions of the reptile community!

http://snakeystory.tumblr.com/