Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,172

1 members and 3,171 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Will a ball python get used to foot traffic around its cage?

I have a 1 year old bp in a 20 gal long with 3 sides covered along with the top. 2 hides. Temps have been spot on, cause the snake has been eating well for the past year. Hides during the day and is out cruising at night. Sheds well, so humidity is OK.

This snake is very shy. I have rarely handled the snake except for cleaning/changing substrate. Never has exhibited cage aggression, when changing water and what not.

My question is will the snake ever get used to people walking past the cage. If i walk over while its out of its hide it reacts by quickly balling up. If i reach in to pick it up it does the same thing. Will this go away over time and with handling? I don't want to handle the snake because it seems to make the little thing nervous.

Thanks
    Sounds like you just need to handle her a little more to be honest. I handle my girl enough, that she's now to the point, where when I come into my bedroom, she's usually partially out of her hide, and when I get close to the glass, she doesn't move. I just look at it as she's saying hi to me when I get home from work. She's still head shy, but handling them helps a lot of those problems.
    0.1 Spider

Thanks

Re: Will a ball python get used to foot traffic around its cage?

I may just be lucky, but my normal is pretty indifferent to foot traffic and even comes out to see whats going on in the room. My spider however, is very skittish and when I had her in quarantine, she was in an area that got very little foot traffic. Now that she's out of quarantine and in the room with my normal, she gets a lot more foot traffic and it already seems like she's less skittish as far as stuff coming close to her enclosure.
    0.1 normal - Constantine, 0.1 Spider - Lilu
    3.0 doggies -Charlie (rottweiler), Luke (golden retriever), Dallas (german shepherd)
    1.0 Betta fish - Norris
    1.0 Rat - Forrest (R.I.P Mook and Milo)
    1.0 frenchman

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Some don't mind foot traffic but in general you don't want your tank where everyone walks by it multiple times a day and where the dog can come up and sniff sniff, etc.
    Jerry Robertson

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Yes. Some of them are more neurotic than others, however, and do take longer. Sometimes it takes up to a year. But if the snake is out cruising at night, that's a pretty good sign---you won't see any of them much during the day, not even the really friendly and curious ones.

Make sure the snake has plenty of hiding spots to choose from.